Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Unpaid Toll Ticket

Unpaid Toll Ticket

Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

GingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant future
Angry Unpaid Toll Ticket

Today is not my day..and yesterday wasn't either...
Yesterday going through the toll where you pick up a biglietto ..there wasn't one..and the gate was open. I got out of the car (right hand drive), came up to the machine - nothing. 2 impatient drivers tooting for me to go as the gate is open.. At the next toll where you need to pay I was charged Eur 89.20 because I didn't have a biglietto. When I asked the man behind the Help button why is it so much (usually Eur8) the machine just spurted out a long Unpaid Toll Ticket and the gate opened.
Today - same place. I managed to get a biglietto but at the next payment point (the same as yesterday) this biglietto was not accepted by the machine..and the price that came up on the screen was Eur 39.80. Upon asking why I was issued with another long Unpaid toll ticket.
Is it just me or has anyone had that too? What did you do? Did you contest it? How?
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 5:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid Toll Ticket

Originally Posted by GingerFlowers
Today is not my day..and yesterday wasn't either...
Yesterday going through the toll where you pick up a biglietto ..there wasn't one..and the gate was open. I got out of the car (right hand drive), came up to the machine - nothing. 2 impatient drivers tooting for me to go as the gate is open.. At the next toll where you need to pay I was charged Eur 89.20 because I didn't have a biglietto. When I asked the man behind the Help button why is it so much (usually Eur8) the machine just spurted out a long Unpaid Toll Ticket and the gate opened.
Today - same place. I managed to get a biglietto but at the next payment point (the same as yesterday) this biglietto was not accepted by the machine..and the price that came up on the screen was Eur 39.80. Upon asking why I was issued with another long Unpaid toll ticket.
Is it just me or has anyone had that too? What did you do? Did you contest it? How?
The only experience I have with motorway tolls is from years ago when I was a passenger in a mate's car and the entry ticket never came out but the barrier lifted and he carried on driving. It was in the days before automatic paying machines and when every booth had a real person sitting in it. When we exited the motorway just 30 Km later and he had no ticket to hand in, he was told that he'd have to pay the full price of the whole autostrada that he could have travelled that day until the next section of motorway. I didn't really follow the conversation at the time but it was something like : if the Venice - Milan is 152 Km long from start to finish and you can't prove you only travelled 30 km on it then you have to pay the full 152 Km. My friend contested it and was told to go to a certain office at the beginning of the motorway the next day with me as his witness and my ID documents. I honestly can't remember the outcome. I don't think he paid for 152 Km though.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

GingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant futureGingerFlowers has a brilliant future

Thank you for the reply Lorna, I thought I'm the only one in this Italian Universe:-)
Yes, it does look that they want me to pay for the whole autostrada..
My friendly lawyer just wrote a letter to the relevant people..I shall inform you on the outcome. Fingers crossed...
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:03 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

You're never alone in this weird universe but we don't all have something to contribute to every thread. I leave things like rents and houses to Modicasa and taxes to others and pensions to O'Nonno and others because I don't know much of anything about them. At least you have a friendly lawyer. I think we should all get one as soon as we get residency.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:09 pm

Sorry it took me so long to reply though ............. plenty more Italian shitting red tape going on here ..................... but do tell us if you resolve anything and best of luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Lorna,

I'd say that after 'learning the language'...'getting a lawyer' would be the second thing I'd recommend for anyone who moves here. And for people with a slightly complicated financial situation (running a business for example)..an accountant is very useful. The law is a minefield here. Otherwise it's all peachy:-)
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:32 pm

A lawyer, an accountant and a set of horse blinkers to blind us to a lot of crap
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

A telepass key is quite useful. I have only had a problem when the battery ran out and that was because I had't changed it at the correct interval.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Philat 98,
Yes, I am considering it now.. Although I can't quite imaging having it is a smooth sailing either..:-) Maybe you are just lucky
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by philat98
A telepass key is quite useful. I have only had a problem when the battery ran out and that was because I had't changed it at the correct interval.
I never really thought about getting telepass before because I don't use the motorway that often, but it might be worth it now that all the humans have been removed from the toll booths. I hate wondering or checking what kind of banknotes I have in my purse and I've either got short arms or I don't pull my car in close enough to easily reach the machines. I once dropped a handful of coins into the 'bucket' and half of them bounced straight back out again and rolled under the car. I got out on my hands and knees to retrieve them and stubbornly ignored the honking going on behind me. If it had just been a few cents I'd have left them there but they were 2 and 1 euro coins.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

I guess I just need to get used to the thought that I have to pay monthly for the privilege of using it...
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by GingerFlowers
I guess I just need to get used to the thought that I have to pay monthly for the privilege of using it...
€12.40 a year divided into 4 payments. Bill comes every three months with your toll fees plus the €3.78 telepass cost. I'm looking now and there's a promotion going on. Sign up in September and get 6 months free.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
€12.40 a year divided into 4 payments. Bill comes every three months with your toll fees plus the €3.78 telepass cost. I'm looking now and there's a promotion going on. Sign up in September and get 6 months free.
Good value I think. There are normally no queues on the telepass gates so it knocks a bit of time off your journey. If you have two cars you can use it with both.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Did I read it right..it's attached by a velcro..?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Just a little grey plastic box not much bigger than a memory stick. I just leave it in the glove compartment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.