Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:11 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Well it depends what these extra 2 pluggy things are for and to what you want to connect your iPad. If you have no hdmi on your TV then this cable is fine because I presume you will only use it for standard definition (SD) viewing via the FilmOn app. A composite or AV cable will not give you a high definition (HD) signal so if you have some HD home movies or movies loaded onto your iPad, you will have to watch them in SD only. I don't think it will work with mirror

If you have a fairly new TV, then I suggest you get you get a DIGITAL AV adaptor and connect via a hdmi cable.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by duffer

If you have a fairly new TV, then I suggest you get you get a DIGITAL AV adaptor and connect via a hdmi cable.
A what, son?
Yes I've got a fairly new HD telly ..
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:20 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

something like this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komodo-Digit...4483839&sr=8-4
just make sure it works with the original iPad because most of them DO NOT.
It costs more but at least you can watch HD content on your HD TV this way but like I said before not all apps allow TV out (sending the signal to an external display) but I am pretty sure Youtube does.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

thanks but:
Does not work with the original ipad 1 despite what the manufacturer states. Product description needs to be modified to explain this
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:39 pm
Pull my finger

yeah thats why I wrote something like that but check that it works with iPad 1. There are several so there is bound to be one that works and if it doesn't then just sent it back for a refund.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

MarkRD, I'm coming a bit late into this discussion. You don't want the cable you first mentioned (only sound no picture as does not connect to the full digital input). What you want is the 'Apple 30 Pin Digital AV Adaptor'. Works with Ipad 1. It's quite easy to find, €29 here. Trony, MediaWorld etc. You also need a HD cable to connect. Our tv is not in the Duffer league but the picture quality of Filmon through the IPad is great.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Mar 28th 2013 at 7:42 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
MarkRD, I'm coming a bit late into this discussion. You don't want the cable you first mentioned (only sound no picture as does not connect to the full digital input). What you want is the 'Apple 30 Pin Digital AV Adaptor'. Works with Ipad 1. It's quite easy to find, €29 here. Trony, MediaWorld etc. You also need a HD cable to connect. Our tv is not in the Duffer league but the picture quality of Filmon through the IPad is great.
Cheers Capo ... as simple as that then? .. I'll have a look around Mediaworld tomorrow.

Thanks guys for your help.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:19 am
Pull my finger

Yeah the original Apple version will cost more but it will most probably work whereas you saw some of the reviews on Amazon for the 3rd party versions.

Get a cheap no-frills packaging free HDMI lead from Amazon, you don't need to spend a lot for HDMI leads - there are some for a hundred quid!!!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Get a cheap no-frills packaging free HDMI lead from Amazon, you don't need to spend a lot for HDMI leads - there are some for a hundred quid!!!
...such as?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:50 am
Pull my finger

AmazonBasics range of Hi-Speed HDMI cables, prices from £4 and then go up depending on the length you require. How long do you like it?

Or there is this one -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baytter-Ratt...4550561&sr=1-7
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

AmazonBasics range of Hi-Speed HDMI cables, prices from £4 and then go up depending on the length you require. How long do you like it?

Or there is this one -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baytter-Ratt...4550561&sr=1-7
Blimey! might as well but the Apple i-telly or whatever the latest thing is.

rather have a gold-plated one for 97p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired-up-v1-...dp_s_cp_3_579N

more a question of quality than length, as usual..
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who have spent a fortune on gold plugs, sockets, cable and think they can hear the difference

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to tell you I bought the original Apple connector thingey (not quite like the one you showed me) and it worked fine with i-pad 1 connected to the telly ..

I-pad app FilmOn works fine, as does YouTube and photo slideshows..

Enjoyed watching the new Doctor Who* and new BBC drama The Village on BBC One via FilmOn just like watching proper telly

(*ironically, it was a scarey story about people getting 'uploaded' via wi-fi connections )
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:37 pm
Pull my finger

That's really good. You've got the standard free SD version of FilmOn or are you paying for the HD version? Did you trial the HD version for the 1 or 2 minutes they give you for free?

Yes I just downloaded the HD version of Dr Who via iPlayer on my Skybox I can't wait to watch it...
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Standard .. I didn't bother with new fangled HD thing.
I might consider a FilmOn sub though becuase you get that annoying advert (9 secs.) every time you want to change channel, we'll see if it's worth it.

btw that connector thing is only video not audio .. for that you can either settle for the ipad speaker which is decent enough or hook it up to telly or external speaker.

Doctor Who was good .. fairly straightforward and not too complicated for us old-school-ers.. I won't give you any spoilers but it turns out alright in the end..sort, of.

Last edited by MarkRD; Apr 2nd 2013 at 2:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.