Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Residents with property in the EU

UK Residents with property in the EU

Old Apr 10th 2021, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default UK Residents with property in the EU

You might want to add your name to this

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/569365
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:26 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Residents with property in the EU

Originally Posted by Sancho

If you want the UK government to get the EU to change it's rules, the UK has to be a member.

The UK government chose to end it's membership, and the EU member states have the same rules on non-EU nationals from the UK as they do for nationals of any other non-EU country. The best part is that there was virtually no change in the rules for those who were legally registered as resident in the host EU country before the cutoff date. They aren't subject to the 90days in 180 rule. It's those who chose not to register, which was a legal requirement and notified by the relevant UK Embassies a number of times.

The issue is self-inflicted on those affected. But hey, the benefits of Brexit.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the UK government to get the EU to change it's rules, the UK has to be a member.

Except that that is not actually true. The government can ask and the EU can accede or refuse.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:44 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid

Except that that is not actually true. The government can ask and the EU can accede or refuse.
The EU doesn't even have to listen to the request.

It's not like the EU and UK didn't give those affected a heads up and a way to avoid this. The petition is just those same Brits who chose to ignore the rules trying to change the new rules they're finding it harder to be ignored by.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 12:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sancho

Anyone affected by Brexit and having problems with their residence in the EU has been living under a stone for the last 4.5 years, they were warned, on this platform and on other social media. Too many of them thought they were invincible, as the EU countries needed the Brits, and, in any case Brexit was to stop people having FOM to move to the UK, and it wouldn't affect Brits wanting to move to EU countries, or those living there under the radar, in fact many Brits living in the EU, who had the chance, voted LEAVE. I can't see this petition having a snowballs chance in hell of getting anywhere.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that if people are unhappy with any particular situation or law they do have a right to seek to change that law in a peaceful, democratic manner. A petition to the govt of the country in which you are a resident or citizen asking that govt to do something to change the law seems one of the right ways to go about it.

On the other hand these are laws in another country and I think most people would agree that visitors to a country should respect the laws of that country. So maybe holiday home owners should respect the rules on this. As has been pointed out it's nothing new or different to how nonEU people have always been treated.

​​​​​​If you don't agree with the petition, don't sign it.

On balance I feee that it doesn't hurt for the UK to open a dialogue with the EU to see if they can't find some solution. But I just can't see this being a priority at the moment.

​​​​​
Old Apr 10th 2021, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by C.2s
It seems to me that if people are unhappy with any particular situation or law they do have a right to seek to change that law in a peaceful, democratic manner. A petition to the govt of the country in which you are a resident or citizen asking that govt to do something to change the law seems one of the right ways to go about it.
It's one thing to petition one's own government to change the law in their country of residence, but I think it's a stretch to expect one's governent to ask another group of country's rules because they don't let one carry on avoiding following the rules.

On the other hand these are laws in another country and I think most people would agree that visitors to a country should respect the laws of that country. So maybe holiday home owners should respect the rules on this. As has been pointed out it's nothing new or different to how nonEU people have always been treated.​
As previously discussed on other similar threads, these people chose not to folow the old rules despite many reminders. And now choose not to follow the new ones.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

True. I don't have much sympathy for those people who have put themselves in this position either
​​​​​
And as I said I doubt this will succeed.

But I've been talking/reading about various protests and demonstrations recently related to other causes,some of which have turned violent and I think people need a way to vent their feelings and feel they're being listened to. Especially at the moment where we're all stressed (to different extents) about covid.

And so I'm just saying that the way this is being done is an acceptable way to do things. Regardless of whether or not things were previously done in the wrong way, a petitition asking for their democratic representatives to discuss the matter seems ok to me
​​​​​​
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by C.2s
True. I don't have much sympathy for those people who have put themselves in this position either
​​​​​
And as I said I doubt this will succeed.

But I've been talking/reading about various protests and demonstrations recently related to other causes,some of which have turned violent and I think people need a way to vent their feelings and feel they're being listened to. Especially at the moment where we're all stressed (to different extents) about covid.

And so I'm just saying that the way this is being done is an acceptable way to do things. Regardless of whether or not things were previously done in the wrong way, a petitition asking for their democratic representatives to discuss the matter seems ok to me
​​​​​​
I'll accept that, but these people had 4 1/2 years to petition for these rules changes, and spent that time hoping the rules wouldn't apply to them.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

This should have been done during the Brexit negotiations, but Treason May decided to give any EU citizens, regardless of whether they had put money in the system or not, a free lunch pass without asking for a reciprocal favour. Now it's too late.

Property owners have the option to sell their properties and bring the monies back into Blighty, which is a win-win situation.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

As Johnson has thrown fishermen farmers and the people of Ulster under a bus I do not suppose that he will be too worried about second home owners unless it is his father of course
Old Apr 11th 2021, 11:35 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
This should have been done during the Brexit negotiations, but Treason May decided to give any EU citizens, regardless of whether they had put money in the system or not, a free lunch pass without asking for a reciprocal favour. Now it's too late.

Property owners have the option to sell their properties and bring the monies back into Blighty, which is a win-win situation.
The 90 day max stay or residency if staying longer, was and still is part of freedom of movement. A part that the UK always chose to ignore. It was never up for discussion as part of the withdrawal agreement nor, I suspect, does the EU have any interest in altering it for the sake of one country.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
The 90 day max stay or residency if staying longer, was and still is part of freedom of movement. A part that the UK always chose to ignore. It was never up for discussion as part of the withdrawal agreement nor, I suspect, does the EU have any interest in altering it for the sake of one country.
You missed out "little"....
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

It is understandable how people might buy property in a country where they don't have residency, for many reasons. Personally I wouldn't. I always feel I need to be really really sure I want to and can make that town my forever home and that hasn't happened for us in Europe so far. It does seem that if one has done that and bought a home and now does not want to do the work of getting their status straightened out they could still rent out the property or use it for holidays, is that not true?
I'm not understanding the problem I guess?
We don't own a property anywhere and have rented a lot here in europe. I believe there are plenty of people wanting to rent places short and long term.
It's too bad about Brexit I know it has meant a ton of turmoil for both the Brits in Eu and the Europeans in UK.
I hope everyone will be ok and be able to sort things out.
Perhaps a petition will help idk. Petitions just show that there are some people who feel something is unfair. It takes lawyers to change laws.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Rule changes, treason... petitions...??
The rule in Europe has always been - if you stay in a host (EU) country for more than 90 days you must apply for residency. Lots didnt, because they thought they wouldnt get caught. Now their new blue passport gets stamped, which makes the 'rules are for other people' more complicated
Now the only difference is that you cant return for another 90 days. As is the case with every other country in the world outside the EU. It is not discrimination, nor petty nor being thrown under the bus. It was the 'will of the people' and Pritti Patel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.