Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Residents with property in the EU

UK Residents with property in the EU

Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Residents with property in the EU

Originally Posted by modicasa
Rule changes, treason... petitions...??
The rule in Europe has always been - if you stay in a host (EU) country for more than 90 days you must apply for residency. Lots didnt, because they thought they wouldnt get caught. Now their new blue passport gets stamped, which makes the 'rules are for other people' more complicated
Now the only difference is that you cant return for another 90 days. As is the case with every other country in the world outside the EU. It is not discrimination, nor petty nor being thrown under the bus. It was the 'will of the people' and Pritti Patel.
But surely this is not an unreasonable request?
A number of the people who purchased property inside the EU did so when the UK was part of the EU, years before the referendum.
And this petition is asking the UK Gov to start a dialogue with the EU on behalf of JUST those people, NOT for every UK citizen that simply wants to visit and remain for more than 90 days.
After all, UK citizens that decided to remain in the EU and take out residency of an EU country, have received certain `perks` (WA) from the UK despite not living or having any intention to ever live in the UK again, but just because they did at some time in the past, reside in the UK or are British by birth.
And of course again a lot of people that bought property in the EU, did so without ever wanting to take out residency inside an EU country, that does not make them lawbreakers.
The fact that an EU resident can, on the other hand stay in the UK for 180 days without break, makes the situation more vexing, but I accept that is up to the UK, if it wants to change that ruling it could. Maybe that is what ought to happen, to level up the playing field on this issue.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever

After all, UK citizens that decided to remain in the EU and take out residency of an EU country, have received certain `perks` (WA) from the UK despite not living or having any intention to ever live in the UK again, but just because they did at some time in the past, reside in the UK or are British by birth.
And of course again a lot of people that bought property in the EU, did so without ever wanting to take out residency inside an EU country, that does not make them lawbreakers.
They did not receive those perks via the WA, they received them because they had registered in their new country as required by the new countries laws. The fact that so many decided NOT to register because that would mean losing their perks from the UK is the problem. They were breaking the rules of both countries, and yes I did know quite a number when I was living there, in fact by obeying the rules it cost us a lot of money because my late wife lost her mobility allowance, which had given us a free car in the UK, that was lost and, even when we returned to the UK was never reinstaed.
I have NO SYMPATHY with those suddenly finding their perks they have been enjoying for years have disappeared, and their new country of choice only wants those legally resident and paying their taxes etc to the country they live in.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:46 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

A number of the people who purchased property inside the EU did so when the UK was part of the EU, years before the referendum.
And this petition is asking the UK Gov to start a dialogue with the EU on behalf of JUST those people, NOT for every UK citizen that simply wants to visit and remain for more than 90 days.
So, not for all Brits, just for the lazy minority who deliberately ignored the rules in place and are now acting like two-year olds....

My kids learned to stop that when they were told no toys if they carried on. Grow up!

The fact that an EU resident can, on the other hand stay in the UK for 180 days without break, makes the situation more vexing, but I accept that is up to the UK, if it wants to change that ruling it could. Maybe that is what ought to happen, to level up the playing field on this issue.
The UK government brought the 180-day rule in for everyone, not just EU nationals, within the UK domestic immigration rules. So whether one is an EU national, American, Canadian or any other nationality, the 180-day applies.

Get over it. If they voted for Brexit, they won. Either way, why didn't they apply for residency like others did?

They'll find sympathy in most dictionaries between shit and syphillis, neither of which I'm giving either.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Not an unreasonable request but the approach is wrong. These people would have to sue the UK and not ask the UK Gov to start a dialogue with the EU.
If they can prove that they bought these homes for personal use, then the UK would have to pay them the full market value and cover all taxes that are now attached.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Wellinever - Im afraid I just dont grasp the logic of your point. As I understand it, you would like the people who have been illegally residing in a another EU country for donkeys years to get preferential treatment so they can continue to reside in another country while being exempt from taxes in that country? If you want to stay for 6 months in a host country then you need to apply for elective residency (as far as Italy is concerned) and then you can stay as long as you like while remaining under the UK tax system. This has always been the case. Before 31/12/20, staying in an EU country for more than 90 days brought a legal obligation to apply for residence whether you were British, French or Greek. There has been no change at all in the rules. Id add that as a British citizen you have inalienable rights, not 'perks'.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I am not talking about those people who lived in an EU country illegally, for years. I am talking about those people that bought, maybe as retirees that wanted somewhere to live in the sun for the cooler months of winter in the UK, but prefer to spend the summer in the UK.
Yes its true that some may have spent more than 90 days with registering themselves as resident, but in reality if they spent 7 months in the UK and 5 in an EU country what would you have them do......change residency every 6 months?
The fact that people were able to do this at all, was because EU countries were complicit in this.
They could easily have used the Schengen rules of 90 days from day one, but they didnt.
Of course we all have our own views, some selfish (I am all right Jack) attitudes or I did the right thing, so why couldnt others, but I will still expect go back to the UK when the **it hits the fan, cause I am British!! (thats not me talking personally)
But I see nothing wrong with asking the question, and see that almost 20,000 others want the situation explored.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I am not talking about those people who lived in an EU country illegally, for years. I am talking about those people that bought, maybe as retirees that wanted somewhere to live in the sun for the cooler months of winter in the UK, but prefer to spend the summer in the UK.
While these retirees may not have done it continuously for years, they likely did it continuously every year. They'd have been aware of the rules, and if they weren't, why should their ignorance of the law be our concern.

Yes its true that some may have spent more than 90 days with registering themselves as resident, but in reality if they spent 7 months in the UK and 5 in an EU country what would you have them do......change residency every 6 months?
You're either not aware of the actual requirements, or you're deliberately lying about them.

The first time moves to an EU member state for longer than 90 days, one applied for a residency card withe the required documentation including rental agreement or property ownership. Once you're issued the residence card, you don't need to reapply for 5 years except in certain circumstances.

You do not lose your UK residency solely by gaining residency in your host EU country, so there's no need to 'change residency every 6 months'.

The fact that people were able to do this at all, was because EU countries were complicit in this.
They could easily have used the Schengen rules of 90 days from day one, but they didnt.
The only people at fault are those who chose to ignore the rules because they weren't strictly enforced at the time. Now that's changing, those people want the rules changed to suit them. How about complying with the law instead?

If I drive at more than 70 mph along a UK motorway, should the UK police be regarded as complicit if I avoided being seen by them?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Apr 12th 2021 at 3:44 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

The speeding analogy is good one. So despite the fact that you were knowingly breaking the law but not caught, under your rules mean that you should have gone to the police station to report the offence. How many would do that?.....my own analogy would be of an insurance claim made through theft of property from your house after you left the door open. I think an insurance company would say that your lack of action contributed to your loss.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

The speeding analogy is good one. So despite the fact that you were knowingly breaking the law but not caught, under your rules mean that you should have gone to the police station to report the offence. How many would do that?.....my own analogy would be of an insurance claim made through theft of property from your house after you left the door open. I think an insurance company would say that your lack of action contributed to your loss.
In my anology, your conclusion would be wrong. The legal speed limit is clearly available, I chose to ignore it.

In yours, you're spot on. Brits with holiday homes chose not to do what was expected by registering, and now they're losing something valuable. See, you get it...
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
If you want the UK government to get the EU to change it's rules, the UK has to be a member.

Except that that is not actually true. The government can ask and the EU can accede or refuse.
And why should EU listen? The opportunity to avoid this situation was there for a year.
Brit. Embassies issued numerous reminders in every EU country.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reluctant to get involved in a discussion that is perhaps unnecessarily acrimonious; but I don't understand how someone can own a property without getting registered at the Comune. Surely people have to pay their IMU and TARI; and surely the Comune will be on to them to do so?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree that certain contributors seem to be to have drunk deeply from the well of acrimony and I hesitate to add to this but can anyone
confirm what I thought is the case namely that if you have residency and a foreign registered car you have sixty days to have it converted to Italian registration?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

can anyone
confirm what I thought is the case namely that if you have residency and a foreign registered car you have sixty days to have it converted to Italian registration?
As a resident you can only drive it for 60 days with the foreign plate.
https://www.dirittierisposte.it/Sche...73446_art.aspx

Last edited by philat98; Apr 12th 2021 at 6:31 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

I do agree that certain contributors seem to be to have drunk deeply from the well of acrimony
I can accept that I was harsh, but after reading many threads like this, it seems obvious to me that the affected people never had any interest in complying with the rules in their host countries, still don't, and expect sympathy. I'm sure that as we're on an expats site that most, if not all, of us have migrated somewhere at some point, but most of us managed to do so within the rules. The fact that some host countries chose not to enforce those rules at the time shouldn't mean that the rules shouldn't have been followed.

My well of sympathy went the same way as their hopes and dreams.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
As a resident you can only drive it for 60 days with the foreign plate.
https://www.dirittierisposte.it/Sche...73446_art.aspx
In order to overcome the 90 day issue why not apply for a visa which can be extended by another 90 days? What is the difference to any other non EU country? I understand it involves time & some money. But, hey, this is the freedom of Brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.