Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK registered website, working in Italy?

UK registered website, working in Italy?

Old May 8th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

tracy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK registered website, working in Italy?

Hi, firstly, has anyone any experience in setting up a UK registered website, but working from home in Italy? Is it essential to have a UK address? Do people use a postbox number these days?

Secondly, can anyone advise where we can find the best place for wording of terms and conditions or privacy?

Any info will be appreciated.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK registered website, working in Italy?

Because most web providers are paid by credit card/debit card you will need a UK address to which the card is registered. Im not sure whether you could buy a co.uk website if you are not registered as living in the UK.

Terms and conditions in Italian or English to put on your website/emails? Just copy them from another site.... !
Old May 8th 2012, 4:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracy
Hi, firstly, has anyone any experience in setting up a UK registered website, but working from home in Italy? Is it essential to have a UK address? Do people use a postbox number these days?

Secondly, can anyone advise where we can find the best place for wording of terms and conditions or privacy?

Any info will be appreciated.
I run a web site from Spain .... not quite the same obviously but I'm guessing the same rules apply.

Firstly, you wont necessarily need a UK address. If youve been thoughtful you will have kept a UK credit card running maybe ... I certainly did.

So you just buy a domain and buy hosting and if you know what you are doing you then get on with designing your site.

You need to go to a similar site for your terms and conditions to see what kind of thing they require. Then it gives you a basis for your own T&C's
Old May 14th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I have 3 uk based web sites,

I used my Italian home address and my italian credit card. I have bought them from www.123-reg.co.uk and http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/

I have not had a problem.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

think carefully about the name you are going to use, then try to get all the versions registered i.e. .com .co.uk .net .org .eu .it etc etc
this will block any potential competitor from sneaking up on you.
I did this and it only adds about £50 - £75 a year to the business costs, and you can link them all to the one hosted site.

any good provider will work with you on this

keep us informed as to how it goes
Old May 18th 2012, 8:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy, how will people communicate with you ?
If just by email fine, but if you want them to be able to talk to you then you may wish to get a UK phone number and hold it online using VOIP

I transferred 2 uk no's to online without any difficulties using http://www.voipfone.co.uk/ (but there are others offering this service)
just can't understand why I didnt do it years ago, BT charge about £16 rental but now I get it for £2. Even the calls are cheaper and friends and relatives can call you at no additional charges.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:42 am
Just Joined

milazzo06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
I transferred 2 uk no's to online without any difficulties using http://www.voipfone.co.uk/ (but there are others offering this service).
Thanks Domino, that looks a very useful service indeed.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:53 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milazzo06
My SIP is with Draytel. Very handy, and you can link it to your mobile phone as well with the right app, so that wherever you are in the world, if you have an internet connection, you can call people on your internet SIP account
Old May 18th 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by milazzo06
HTH
if you have an existing number in the uk you wish to keep then try their
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

I had a BT and a Virgin Media (private and business) and have ported both, they usually need 7-10 days notice (a delay imposed on the company losing the number) so you don't have to change any numbers to family, customers etc.
Cost me £20 each and £2 each a month thereafter. Call costs from UK remain unchanged, and if you use a line to call then the cost/min is minimal if you are not using Skype.

If you are starting from scratch they can get you a UK number but will give you an 05 number free of charge and there is no minimum contract period

the only thing you need is a continually on broadband connection and an interface if you are using your UK fone

hasten to add I have no connection with this co except as a very satisfied customer who is saving hand over fist and wishes he had done it a couple of years ago.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

HTH
if you have an existing number in the uk you wish to keep then try their
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

I had a BT and a Virgin Media (private and business) and have ported both, they usually need 7-10 days notice (a delay imposed on the company losing the number) so you don't have to change any numbers to family, customers etc.
Cost me £20 each and £2 each a month thereafter. Call costs from UK remain unchanged, and if you use a line to call then the cost/min is minimal if you are not using Skype.

If you are starting from scratch they can get you a UK number but will give you an 05 number free of charge and there is no minimum contract period

the only thing you need is a continually on broadband connection and an interface if you are using your UK fone

hasten to add I have no connection with this co except as a very satisfied customer who is saving hand over fist and wishes he had done it a couple of years ago.
I think thats the case with yours and Draytel. When people call me now they call me on a UK telephone number which was free. I could have more, but I would have to pay. The number I have is a normal Birmingham 0121 number, but I could have an 08 something number if I needed it.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think thats the case with yours and Draytel. When people call me now they call me on a UK telephone number which was free. I could have more, but I would have to pay. The number I have is a normal Birmingham 0121 number, but I could have an 08 something number if I needed it.
I suppose I should be jealous, but I am not - I have made a 90% saving on fixed line costs, and £2 per month is not a huge dent in the pension money.
the transfer for just a little more than a month's line rental is also a liveable cost.

but like many things companies like BT only exist on the back of people's lack of interest, in exactly the same way as with insurance without shopping around. Loyalty is a fine thing to have but when those to whom you show loyalty kick you in the teeth its time to have another look.
Too many firms make their profit out of loyal customers whilst giving new customers all the discounts possible
But then you are in business and know all about this.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:11 pm
Senior Moment

I suppose I should be jealous, but I am not - I have made a 90% saving on fixed line costs, and £2 per month is not a huge dent in the pension money.
the transfer for just a little more than a month's line rental is also a liveable cost.

but like many things companies like BT only exist on the back of people's lack of interest, in exactly the same way as with insurance without shopping around. Loyalty is a fine thing to have but when those to whom you show loyalty kick you in the teeth its time to have another look.
Too many firms make their profit out of loyal customers whilst giving new customers all the discounts possible
But then you are in business and know all about this.
Jealous .... no, no reason .. this is just a similar system to the one you use. As you say, there are quite a few of them and they all have their good and bad points

I remember loyalty .... but I dont have it any more
For someone who used Virgin for 16 years and just had to cancel a £1400 ticket for which virgin will only give me £150 .... I'll go with whoever I feel like in future rather than stay loyal
Old May 18th 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Jealous .... no, no reason .. this is just a similar system to the one you use. As you say, there are quite a few of them and they all have their good and bad points

I remember loyalty .... but I dont have it any more
For someone who used Virgin for 16 years and just had to cancel a £1400 ticket for which virgin will only give me £150 .... I'll go with whoever I feel like in future rather than stay loyal
OUCH !