Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Prescription in Italy

UK Prescription in Italy

Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough
Default UK Prescription in Italy

Hi All,

Any advice for this one?

I picked my mum up last night from the airport and when we got back home and she unpacked her case, she realised that she had left some of her medication at home.
They are pills for her diabetes and prevents eye deterioration.

She has a copy prescription with her so i was going to call up at the pharmacy later and see if they have them.

I presume she'l have to pay for them here?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Prescription in Italy

Originally Posted by Angeldimana
Hi All,

Any advice for this one?

I picked my mum up last night from the airport and when we got back home and she unpacked her case, she realised that she had left some of her medication at home.
They are pills for her diabetes and prevents eye deterioration.

She has a copy prescription with her so i was going to call up at the pharmacy later and see if they have them.

I presume she'l have to pay for them here?
Depends on the pharmacist , they should not refuse to dispense them but you may have to pay . If they do refuse to give her the medicine explain to your GP and he can give you a prescrition
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

All sorted,

Turns out they are only a mix of vitamins with a supplement in. The pharmacist had a similar type and sold them to us for €15.00.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angeldimana
All sorted,

Turns out they are only a mix of vitamins with a supplement in. The pharmacist had a similar type and sold them to us for €15.00.
Good stuff, but vitamins are not cheap here are they.

I can't remember the difference in price between the folic acid sold here and the box I picked up for about 2 quid in the UK - but it was enormous.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, expensive in comparison.

The lady at the pharmacist ask how much we paid for the same product in the UK and was very surprised to find out that they were covered as 'free of charge' under my mum's prescription.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'll never understand why Chemists are so exorbitantly expensive over here.
I take a few supplements for osteo-arthritis and I would never in a million years buy them over here. Same goes for all the normal things like paracetomol, flu medicine, creams etc - they always cost the earth over here. I know that here in Piemonte there are quite a few people that go over to France to buy stuff.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:19 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of medicines here are still patented so can't be made and sold cheaper by other companies.
It's better than it was though now that some cheaper versions of the same medicine are available. I still see plenty of folk in the chemist saying that they don't want the generic version, only the original. They think the generic brand one won't work.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

I have to say, I would always recommend getting exactly the same brand of drugs that you have taken before and not a generic alternative. My husband had a stroke in January of last year in Abu Dhabi. In the summer he came back to Italy and was persuaded to have an alternative brand of drugs with absolutely disastrous consequences. It affected his ability to work and he subsequently lost his job and his confidence. It's not worth risking your health just to save a few euros.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
I'll never understand why Chemists are so exorbitantly expensive over here.
Lack of competition. It's much more difficult to open up a pharmacy in Italy than in the UK.
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Twinkle Canelli
I have to say, I would always recommend getting exactly the same brand of drugs that you have taken before and not a generic alternative. My husband had a stroke in January of last year in Abu Dhabi. In the summer he came back to Italy and was persuaded to have an alternative brand of drugs with absolutely disastrous consequences. It affected his ability to work and he subsequently lost his job and his confidence. It's not worth risking your health just to save a few euros.
I didn't know that could happen.

Dr once gave me a prescription. The chemist asked if I wanted the exact brand on the prescription or the generic one. I hadn't ever taken either of them before so I don't suppose it would have made a difference.
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:21 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I didn't know that could happen.

Dr once gave me a prescription. The chemist asked if I wanted the exact brand on the prescription or the generic one. I hadn't ever taken either of them before so I don't suppose it would have made a difference.
I would have thought that Twinkle's prescription was a different drug and not the equivalent generic of the original one. The doctors in the UK have done that to my mum as well. Different hospitals use different drugs and they give different results. Mum's in a bit of a tizzy at the moment because the NHS has stopped providing one of her drugs.

As you know, a generic has the same composition as the branded version who's patent has expired. That said, I'm never sure whether to accept the generic or not. What do others do?
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:58 am

I took the generic one. It worked.
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:11 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
As you know, a generic has the same composition as the branded version who's patent has expired. That said, I'm never sure whether to accept the generic or not. What do others do?
I took the generic option this weekend with anti-inflammatories and they worked fine.

As an aside, I don't know about the rest of Italy but in Rome it can't be difficult to open a Pharmacy as there are 3 on just about every street around me
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:15 am

I remember coming to Italy and realising that there was a bar, a bank and a chemist on every street in town.

There is something about pharmacies here though and lines of succession or whatever, though I don't know exactly how it works.

I very rarely see an empty chemist and I'm convinced that most Italians are hypochondriacs.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:57 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Either that or it's because the chemist have fought tooth and nail to oppose anything against their own interests, whether it's permission for new chemists to open up in the same area or the sale of certain medicines at supermarkets. It's only recently that supermarkets have been allowed to sell over the counter medicine.

Have you seen the price of formula milk at chemists?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.