Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK - Italy travel jeopardised

UK - Italy travel jeopardised

Old Oct 8th 2020, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default UK - Italy travel jeopardised

The local TV news yesterday announced that easyJet will be ceasing flights to Venice for the winter. I haven't been able to find out if this will take effect immediately or not. Their flights to Naples will be effected too, though they hope to restart these by Christmas. That's properly put the kibosh on our children coming over!
Plus The Times today hints that the UK will be adding Italy to the list of countries that passengers arriving from will be required to quarantine.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Italy travel jeopardised

Here are the rules. It seems you need a Uk test before departure and Italian test on arrival. I was looking at a Keswick webcam and there were very few wearing a mask on the high street. Not surprising they want a test. A lot of people in the UK have not understood that no distancing and no masks equals lost jobs and lost relatives.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

Last edited by philat98; Oct 8th 2020 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Palmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the rough

As I am trying to get residency before Dec31st the new rules are understandable but frustrating! My understanding is negative test 72 hours before arrival OR test within 48 hours of arrival locally however I may still need to self isolate for 14 days anyway even with a negative test. So quite a bit of planning needed now In order to drive over......

I agree with philat98’s observations - here in Plymouth we have very low COVID figures for both deaths and positive tests. However little sign of general mask wearing on the streets and I certainly felt much safer in Abruzzo last month.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Scicily are not letting these girls leave until they test negative twice.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-54465313
Old Oct 9th 2020, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

From today there are tests at comiso and Trapani airports. If there is no test in the airport its up to you to go to a private clinic and get tested within 48 hours. Itcosts 52.50 euros privately, or is free in the airport. (If tests are available in the airport you are not allowed to leave until you have the results). Or get your test before you leave the UK - but it will certainly cost more.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Here are the rules. ...... A lot of people in the UK have not understood that no distancing and no masks equals lost jobs and lost relatives. .....
"A lot of people" the world over seem to think that they should exploit to the fullest extent anything that is permitted by "the rules", * when in fact the best course of action for both individuals and the community in which they live, though unfortunately not the economy, is to apply social distancing to the greatest practical extent and avoid contact entirely whenever possible. To that end I have been doing vertually all the family grocery shopping, alone, for more than six months, wearing a mask and only ever shopping either early in the morning or late in the evening, when the groceries are very quiet.

* I have no sympathy for the girls stranded in Sicilly (though as they are young the blame for their predicament would more properly be carried by their parents), as the current mess of every changing rules, with corridors opening, then being closed again with little or no notice, was entirely forseeable as soon as the lock-downs and shut down of most international air travel occured back in March. I wasn't entirely surprised when the airlines were allowed to start flying in the summer, and some people immediately leapt to book airline tickets, but I also wasn't surprised that the international travel appears to have set off simultaneous "second waves" in the UK and most countries of western Europe.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2020 at 1:45 pm.