Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Driving Licence in Italy

UK Driving Licence in Italy

Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Bluebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving Licence in Italy

I was wondering if it was possible to have both a UK driving licence and also an Italian driving licence at the same time. Any ideas how to go about obtaining an Italian DL without giving up the UK one?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:09 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You could apply for a duplicate UK driving licence for one that is missing, lost or stolen and go through the normal process in the UK, i.e. having photos endorsed, etc and at the same time swap your 'missing' driving licence for an Italian version. Although I do not know if this would actually work it seemed like a good idea. I would recommend you swap your UK licence for the Italian version first judging by how long it takes to do things in Italy. Then apply for the UK duplicate. If the DVLA say anything such as they have found your licence with the Italian authorities just reply that you had changed your mind and want the UK version back. Then claim it is lost in the post.

However if you do not want to be sneaky and if you do not want to exchange your UK licence for an Italian version then you would need to go through the process that the Italians go through in order to have a licence - take a driving test!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Having both UK and Italian DL used to be the norm some years ago, you got the Italian one based on the translation of the UK one but kept both. Very convenient, you could produce the foreign licence wherever you were stopped by the cops - UK or Italy. Now, when you apply for an Italian one, they take the UK one from you. Much better to get the EU type in the UK before you come. I have not tried this but I guess you could start the process going to translate an older UK DL to an Italian one then, at the right moment, declare the UK one lost to the Italian police. Presumably DVLC in UK would then issue a replacement and you would have both , highly illegal of course, it MIGHT work but I wouldn't recommend it. The EU is a bit too linked up now to risk the kind of tricks that you could get away with in the past.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help - it sounds as though it may work. I don't fancy the idea of taking a driving test over here in Italy!! It would be useful to have a UK licence for use in Italy - and an Italian licence for use in UK
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:31 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Please update this forum if you actually manage to get yourself both driving licences.

The problem could be that you might be without a licence for a bit if you exchange the UK one first. I am not sure how long this takes but I suppose it can't be that long since it's illegal to drive in Italy without it whereas in the UK it's fine.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

How does this sound?

Whilst still holding original UK driving licence, apply to DVLA for replacement as if lost - cost £19.00. At this stage you have TWO UK licences.

Take duplicate licence for exchange for Italian licence - retain original UK licence.

Wait to recieve Italian licence - still legal to drive as original UK licence saftley in wallet.

When new Italian licence arrives you are now in possession of two licences again - one UK and one Italian.

I think, however, that the UK licence is then invalid as soon as DVLA has been informed of the exchange by Italian authorities - but could still be useful to show to caribienari if stopped for minor offences. Same would apply in UK if stopped in UK and showing a perfectly legal Italian licence.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Getting stopped for random checks in Italy doen't seem to be the problem it once was. I'm not sure if your plan is worth the risk. Also it depends on what you are driving, If a lease or hire car it might work. If the vehicle was your own property then the police will see (from the car libretto) that you have been in Italy for more than 6 months (or whatever). they will then ask why, if you have been resident for more than 6 months you still have a UK DL, which could be more of a problem than the one they pulled you up for.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluebird
How does this sound?

Whilst still holding original UK driving licence, apply to DVLA for replacement as if lost - cost £19.00. At this stage you have TWO UK licences.

Take duplicate licence for exchange for Italian licence - retain original UK licence.

Wait to recieve Italian licence - still legal to drive as original UK licence saftley in wallet.

When new Italian licence arrives you are now in possession of two licences again - one UK and one Italian.

I think, however, that the UK licence is then invalid as soon as DVLA has been informed of the exchange by Italian authorities - but could still be useful to show to caribienari if stopped for minor offences. Same would apply in UK if stopped in UK and showing a perfectly legal Italian licence.

Any thoughts?
Read post 18, it is illegal, and I dont know about Italy but the Spanish police can now check if a UK reg car is taxed and insured from their cars, so I am sure they could just as easy check a licence. ;-)
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advise, guys. Guess I'll give up the idea and go for the legal route and get a valid Italian driving licence by taking a driving test over here! Wish me luck!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you have a valid UK DL you do not need to take the Italian driving test. If you have the latest EU format licence you can drive for as long as you like on it in Italy (that's my interpretation of the rules any way). Worse case scenario is if you have an old UK licence (e.g. no photo) in this case you can convert it to an Italian licence by a purely bureaucratic process - no driving test needed. The bureaucratic process can be expensive and time consuming, much better to upgrade your old UK licence to the latest standard before you come to Italy.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Read post 18, it is illegal, and I dont know about Italy but the Spanish police can now check if a UK reg car is taxed and insured from their cars, so I am sure they could just as easy check a licence. ;-)
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

daveys is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving in Italy on a UK licence is accepted. I have had refusals in hiring cars using my old paper licence that doesn't have a picture on it. Best advice is to call Hertz, Avis or the like, Regards Daveys.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:34 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I both have pink licences, no photo. These are still legal according to the British Embassy in Italy website as they are the original EU licence. We always hire cars here as we don't have our own car living in Florence. My OH also hires cars in Spain on his on a regular basis. So far we have had no problems with it not being photo ID as long as we take a passport with us. We also have an address on it of over 7 years ago!

Here's the link to the embassy website: http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1109178070263
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

catwoman66 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I had this dilemma over 20 years ago, so I exchanged my british licence for an italian one, you didn't have to retake the test or anything they just give you a 'conversione estera' I had to do this because I was resident in Italy so by law I needed an Italian one....by the way italian police are not like English police so they usually don't stop you or only when they want a chatcat
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:13 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by catwoman66
Hi, I had this dilemma over 20 years ago, so I exchanged my british licence for an italian one, you didn't have to retake the test or anything they just give you a 'conversione estera' I had to do this because I was resident in Italy so by law I needed an Italian one....by the way italian police are not like English police so they usually don't stop you or only when they want a chatcat
Excellent! I'll bear that in mind when I'm burning it down the backstreets at 110kph!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.