Reload this Page >

UK Driver's Licence

UK Driver's Licence

Old May 14th 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Bluemoon10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Driver's Licence

Hi folks,

Another driving related matter: I have been in Italy for a year now and I have been told that I need to convert my UK (European) driver’s licence into an Italian (European) one. I have a few questions:

1. Is it absolutely necessary to convert the licence or can one ‘take a chance’ of keeping a UK one? Has anyone opted for keeping their UK licence past a year, if so, what happened?

2. If I do convert the document, what happen if I moved back to the UK, would I have to reconvert my licence through the DVLA or can I just keep the changed document? Does the ‘12 months from moving back’ apply in the UK too?

3. If I decided to move back to Britain, would this have an impact on getting ensured back in the UK?

Many thanks in advanced and do PM if you prefer.

BM10
Old May 14th 2014, 9:01 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driver's Licence

Originally Posted by Bluemoon10
Hi folks,

Another driving related matter: I have been in Italy for a year now and I have been told that I need to convert my UK (European) driver’s licence into an Italian (European) one. I have a few questions:

1. Is it absolutely necessary to convert the licence or can one ‘take a chance’ of keeping a UK one? Has anyone opted for keeping their UK licence past a year, if so, what happened?

2. If I do convert the document, what happen if I moved back to the UK, would I have to reconvert my licence through the DVLA or can I just keep the changed document? Does the ‘12 months from moving back’ apply in the UK too?

3. If I decided to move back to Britain, would this have an impact on getting ensured back in the UK?

BM10
You can keep and drive on your UK Licence until it expires - you are not taking a chance.

However, when it expires you are supposed to convert it if you are still resident in Italy.
Old May 14th 2014, 9:19 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

BM10
As Mike said, you can keep you UK licence until it expires under Italian rules. Even if it does not currently have an expiry date, you need to renew it after 10yrs from the date of residency if you are under 50, after 5yrs if you are over 50.
Old May 14th 2014, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Bluemoon10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys,
Your answers seem to confirm what I thought and contradict what the man from the motoring agency through which I recently bought an 2nd hand italian car said. He was maybe just trying to milk some more cash out of me, who knows...

One mere quick one - have you had any problems insuring an Italian car with you as a UK licence holder?

Ta!
Old May 15th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,
Your answers seem to confirm what I thought and contradict what the man from the motoring agency through which I recently bought an 2nd hand italian car said. He was maybe just trying to milk some more cash out of me, who knows...

One mere quick one - have you had any problems insuring an Italian car with you as a UK licence holder?

Ta!
yes in italy who knows each little jobs worth can read and interpetate the law how they want try and ask at the ACI officew somtimes you can get sence out of them
Old May 15th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

try con te conte.it which is admiral and they don't penalise you for having a UK licence - and you can bring your No claims from the UK to ITaly - you will need to get your UK insurer to issue a certificate (preferably in Italian) showing your no claims
Old May 16th 2014, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I thought the issue with driving licenses both in Italy and the UK, is not that they need converting, but that the address needs to be correct on it.
So if you get the address changed you'll probably end up with it converted.

That said, I had an italian license with the wrong address on it for years and drove both in the uk and italy.
Old May 17th 2014, 11:38 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
I thought the issue with driving licenses both in Italy and the UK, is not that they need converting, but that the address needs to be correct on it.
So if you get the address changed you'll probably end up with it converted.

That said, I had an italian license with the wrong address on it for years and drove both in the uk and italy.
Rules change, Ariel. I think it was Nov. You can now keep your UK license uchanged passport to licentil expiry or you get points.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; May 18th 2014 at 7:18 am. Reason: changed passport to license