Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Uk citizen with house in Italy wanting to spend more time in Italy on retirement

Uk citizen with house in Italy wanting to spend more time in Italy on retirement

Old Sep 10th 2023, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Jenny.Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk citizen with house in Italy wanting to spend more time in Italy on retirement

Can someone advise how this is best achieved please? Spending say 5 months a year in Italy on retirement and 7 months in Uk.

many thanks
Old Sep 10th 2023, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future
Default Re: Uk citizen with house in Italy wanting to spend more time in Italy on retire

Do you mean residence formalities or tax arrangements?

I guess you could perhaps split your time in Italy into two 75-day periods in separate six-month blocks. That should work within the 90-day limit in any 180-day period.
Old Sep 10th 2023, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Uk citizen with house in Italy wanting to spend more time in Italy on retire

Originally Posted by daniel_t
Do you mean residence formalities or tax arrangements?

I guess you could perhaps split your time in Italy into two 75-day periods in separate six-month blocks. That should work within the 90-day limit in any 180-day period.

Thanks. I mean residence requirements. The problem with your suggestion is that I wouldn’t be able to spend time in any other EU country

Can’t I obtain ERV and then apply for permesso di soggiorno? How long does it take to get this and am I stuck in Italy while waiting for it to come through?
Old Sep 10th 2023, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

Well, it took my local immigration office 19 months to issue my Brexit WA residence card. I'm sure those Italians worked as hard as they could.

That was an extreme case but it can take you months to negotiate the whole process of ERV + residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno), depending on your local police department. You should get a paper slip or receipt as proof of your PdS application - the interim period (or waiting time) doesn't count towards your 90-day limit in Italy.

I remember reading something about passive income for ERV elsewhere in this forum. Perhaps somebody can shed light on this requirement?
Old Sep 10th 2023, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for responding. 19 months!!!! Sorry what does Brexit WA stand for? I think with our joint employer pensions we’ll meet the income threshold which I think is 38000 euros per annum. However if it takes so long for a Permesso to through do I have to stay in Italy until it comes through. I read somewhere that you’re not allowed to leave?

any help gratefully received
Old Sep 10th 2023, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenny.Hunt
Thanks so much for responding. 19 months!!!! Sorry what does Brexit WA stand for? I think with our joint employer pensions we’ll meet the income threshold which I think is 38000 euros per annum. However if it takes so long for a Permesso to through do I have to stay in Italy until it comes through. I read somewhere that you’re not allowed to leave?

any help gratefully received
Yep and that included three visits to different police departments for finger prints taking, followed by a long wait and multiple phone calls that didn't get through.

WA stands for the Withdrawal Agreement. I call the document 'Brexit residence card', but most people refer to it as Carta di Soggiorno (Permanente) elettronica - it's a residence permit for British nationals living in Italy before Brexit. Be careful this card might give you an 'electrical' shock when you touch it! (Sorry, bad humour.)

With the Permesso di Soggiorno application receipt - I think you can only leave Italy to return to the UK if need be, but in general people aren't supposed to travel outside Italy when they're waiting for their (biometric) residence permit. The latest rules should be on the website of Polizia di Stato or Farnesina (Italy's Foreign Office).
Old Sep 10th 2023, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this info. I’ll look at it but it seems a bit draconian if you have to wait for months and months for the card yet unable to leave Italy until
you get it.

Amy other views/experiences out there???
Old Sep 10th 2023, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't be able to get the WA card anyway because you weren't resident before the WA (Withdrawal Agreement). I think it's just being used as an example of how long the bureaucrats can take. Those of us fortunate enough (this is sarcasm!) to be able to get the WA card haven't been through the same process that you will have to go through. You'd be better off looking at the other recent thread where the ERV is discussed in detail by people who are currently doing the same as you.

However I will put in my two eurocents ...I think that you have to commit to spending at least 6 months a year in Italy to get any form of residency. Otherwise you are resident somewhere else. This statement seems like common sense to me... But this probably means that it's not true because common sense doesn't always seem to be involved in Italian bureaucracy!
​​​​​
Old Sep 11th 2023, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks I’ll try to check out the ERV threads if I can find them
Old Sep 11th 2023, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Search top right for "Elective Residency" and you will get lots of results. You could try "ERV" as well, but I doubt it's worth it. Can't recall all the bits, but there are restrictions on how long you can be out of Italy, income you know about and there is a need to renew yearly. I assume you have done some web searching from what you have said, did you come across this visa link? I have seen other sites with various bits of information, but it depends on what you need to know. From what you have said it seems likely this is an option, but it will probably mean making some minor adjustments and paying out what I would view as minor costs i.e. costs for a year when you are only there a few months. This might involve things like utilities, internet, transport etc...