Reload this Page >

UK car registration in Italy

UK car registration in Italy

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Meerkat_MI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK car registration in Italy

Hello,

When I left the UK, I sold my UK left-hand drive vehicle and ordered and bought a brand new European spec (right-hand drive) vehicle with UK plates. The speedometer/odometer and the lights have already been changed/updated to comply with the metric system/right-hand driving.

The time is approaching when both my insurance will have run out and when I legally (after 6 months of residence) must re-register the car locally. I am also waiting for my 6 months to expire as the understanding is that I may otherwise need to pay the VAT, for the car has not done 6,000km yet, i.e. the car may still be considered as "new" and be an easy target for the tax man.

I tried to go through relatively recent threads here, and an experience of one poster was that, in retrospect, he would have probably done it via an "Agenzia pratiche auto" rather than directly at "Motorizzazione Civile".

If there are any other members with some know-how in this area, what would the recommendation be: do it on your own or use an intermediary? In the first case, any reliable source on what documents, what translations are required before you show up at Motorizzazione? If the recommendation, however, is to use an intermediary, how much should that service cost (and any specific recommendation for Milan is very welcome ; otherwise, I have a general listing of some Milan agencies)?

M.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car registration in Italy

Originally Posted by Meerkat_MI
Hello,

When I left the UK, I sold my UK left-hand drive vehicle and ordered and bought a brand new European spec (right-hand drive) vehicle with UK plates. The speedometer/odometer and the lights have already been changed/updated to comply with the metric system/right-hand driving.

The time is approaching when both my insurance will have run out and when I legally (after 6 months of residence) must re-register the car locally. I am also waiting for my 6 months to expire as the understanding is that I may otherwise need to pay the VAT, for the car has not done 6,000km yet, i.e. the car may still be considered as "new" and be an easy target for the tax man.

I tried to go through relatively recent threads here, and an experience of one poster was that, in retrospect, he would have probably done it via an "Agenzia pratiche auto" rather than directly at "Motorizzazione Civile".

If there are any other members with some know-how in this area, what would the recommendation be: do it on your own or use an intermediary? In the first case, any reliable source on what documents, what translations are required before you show up at Motorizzazione? If the recommendation, however, is to use an intermediary, how much should that service cost (and any specific recommendation for Milan is very welcome ; otherwise, I have a general listing of some Milan agencies)?

M.
You need to of owned the car in the UK for 6 months.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Interesting I only found out this week-end that if you/owner of the car still have UK residancy up do not have to change your plates, even after 1-2-3 years. Means that you would still have to go back for MOT.

UK insurance have to (because we are in the EU) insure you. it will only be 3rd party but hay so is the rest of Italy, I have not met anyone yest fully comp out here.

We where with the AA and it's something that they do not tell you BUT dig deep enough and you will get cover.

If i knew this I would never have changed my car I would have kept it English and saved loads of money. Ferking Rip off merchants
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
Interesting I only found out this week-end that if you/owner of the car still have UK residancy up do not have to change your plates, even after 1-2-3 years. Means that you would still have to go back for MOT.

UK insurance have to (because we are in the EU) insure you. it will only be 3rd party but hay so is the rest of Italy, I have not met anyone yest fully comp out here.

We where with the AA and it's something that they do not tell you BUT dig deep enough and you will get cover.

If i knew this I would never have changed my car I would have kept it English and saved loads of money. Ferking Rip off merchants
How can you have UK residency if you don`t live there ?
You will find it is also illegal to own and drive a foreign car if you are resident in the host country, hence the reason to re register to local plates.
UK insurance will only cover you while you are on holiday not if you live in a foreign country.
Also DVLA
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
You need to of owned the car in the UK for 6 months.
The implication being what exactly?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
How can you have UK residency if you don`t live there ?
You will find it is also illegal to own and drive a foreign car if you are resident in the host country, hence the reason to re register to local plates.
UK insurance will only cover you while you are on holiday not if you live in a foreign country.
Also DVLA

Sorry Jdr I got told different you can live in Italy without being a resident. as we are in the EU..Unless the copper that told me got it all wrong. I changed my plates and my car is all Italian. BUT if i would have dug deeper and found out I would not have changed it.

It's this BIT "Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export)" if you take your car back and Tax and MOT every 11 months you are fine
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

The implication being what exactly?
To save paying tax on it when it is taken to another country.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Sorry Jdr I got told different you can live in Italy without being a resident. as we are in the EU..Unless the copper that told me got it all wrong. I changed my plates and my car is all Italian. BUT if i would have dug deeper and found out I would not have changed it.

It's this BIT "Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export)" if you take your car back and Tax and MOT every 11 months you are fine
Well Italy must be the only country where you are not deemed resident after a certain timespan (usually 6 months but some shorter) of being in the country.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jdr I could be 100% wrong this is only what i was told this week-end,

We bought our car over and got told the same, one year and then you need Italian plate so we did.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr I could be 100% wrong this is only what i was told this week-end,

We bought our car over and got told the same, one year and then you need Italian plate so we did.
It`s crazy, every EU country has different rules and times, so much for a community. lol
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Italy not only does things its own way - every 'comune' does things its own way therefore what you get told in one place or town will be completely different in another. It is confusing and I think you really have to live here to understand alot of things. Saying that - you can live here 30 years and still not understand most things
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
To save paying tax on it when it is taken to another country.
OK, I see what you mean. It's not that I never paid the tax: I paid the tax (VAT) in the UK when purchasing the car via the diplomatic/expat sales department of the respective car producer. They charged me VAT fully knowing I was going to Italy, so I assumed they knew what they were doing.

You still think I will necessarily be taxed twice on the VAT front and will need to get the VAT back from the UK?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

OK, I see what you mean. It's not that I never paid the tax: I paid the tax (VAT) in the UK when purchasing the car via the diplomatic/expat sales department of the respective car producer. They charged me VAT fully knowing I was going to Italy, so I assumed they knew what they were doing.

You still think I will necessarily be taxed twice on the VAT front and will need to get the VAT back from the UK?
Not sure in France, but I know in Spain it is called a first registration payment (tax) not VAT, but you do not have to pay it if you have owned it in the UK for 6 months, this can normally be proven by the date the V5 document and if you have it the original sale document.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Not sure in France, but I know in Spain it is called a first registration payment (tax) not VAT, but you do not have to pay it if you have owned it in the UK for 6 months, this can normally be proven by the date the V5 document and if you have it the original sale document.
Understood, V5 and sales docs are OK in my case. Well, I always expected a fee (more likely a number of those) for the very registration fact, especially so in Italy.

Anyway, still wondering if there is anyone with hands-on experience or, at least, reliable info on the registration process as such. Or if to leave it to a knowing intermediary...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Meerkat - we've done both ways and just to warn you that if you want to do it yourself through the motorizzazione then be prepared for many visits - nothing will be done in just one visit. My OH who is italian found the whole experience frustrating and said never again It might cost a little more but doind the whole thing through one of these motor agencies is much less stressful. There are a lot of agencies - maybe just ask for a recommendation in your area. I know here alot of people use ACI - its sort of like the italian version of the AA/RAC. (Automobile Club Italiano). Have a look at their official website and see if theres any info there ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.