Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Bank Acccounts

UK Bank Acccounts

Old Jan 5th 2021, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice
Default Re: UK Bank Acccounts

Originally Posted by Serrano
OK, thanks anyway. For what it's worth they are still saying on their website that they will open accounts for residents of the UK or the EU. Whether they will actually do it or not remains to be seen.
it it is of any help it took a while and a fair bit of frustration but OH got his account up and running only thing we are waiting for is paper work to activate debit card. The transfer service was brilliant all dd and all other details from original bank account transferred over very smoothly
Old Jan 5th 2021, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Some kind of bollo? Is it a SEPA transfer/payment?
​​​​​​It's a regular "Transfer of Capital" I make, to cover expenditure in Italy. What I fear is another Brexit surprise; that the previous regime of no-charges-by-the-receiving-bank was an EU privilege.
In early December I sent £150 from Lloyds to a granddaughter in Hong Kong; her bank, HSBC as it happens, said they didn't recognise her account details and returned £90! I hope it isn't a jungle out here, beyond the Schengen border.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
They accepted my application but there is quite a bit of cost opening the account.
Mmmm, interesting. Where did the cost come in?

Originally Posted by clint
it it is of any help it took a while and a fair bit of frustration but OH got his account up and running only thing we are waiting for is paper work to activate debit card. The transfer service was brilliant all dd and all other details from original bank account transferred over very smoothly
Thanks for this input as well. What form of identification did OH have to produce? And what was the frustration (DDs etc don't come into it for me - a sort code / account number for incoming payments and online banking (both essential), and Debit Card (ideally) are the only things I would really need)
Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by Serrano
Mmmm, interesting. Where did the cost come in?

Thanks for this input as well. What form of identification did OH have to produce? And what was the frustration (DDs etc don't come into it for me - a sort code / account number for incoming payments and online banking (both essential), and Debit Card (ideally) are the only things I would really need)
OH sent a copy of bank statement and copy of passport first hurdle was finding a lawyer to certify docs, eventually we found one who has several British clients so he certified the documents for us. We then sent certified docs with the wording HSBC asked for, attached to each document there was the lawyer business card. First we were told they had not received the documents when we pointed out they were delivered by dhl and the date they were delivered they said oh yes we got them. A week later they said there are no lawyer details again we said there is a business card attach to each document (this was all via the call centre) we weren't getting anywhere. OH contacted HSBC via FB page and must say they replied very quickly and sorted things out. Documents delivered 11/11 finally the account was set up beginning of December. OH asked for the switch service it takes 7/10 days, everything from previous bank was transferred over, they inform payers sending money in of new bank details same for DD. The only downside is that you will need to wait for welcome pack sent by post to get your new account number sort code to be able to set up internet banking/telephone banking Debit card is sent separately so is the pin to activate the card

If you look through their web site there is a section where you can upload the documents it didn't work for us but worth a try
Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the facility for uploading documents is only available for people applying from the UK.

We had a similar frustrating and protracted experience. We finally got an email mid-December saying our application has been successful and are now waiting for account details and debit cards to arrive by post.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Not strictly in line with the opening theme of this thread, but ...
Today I made my first transfer, €1000 from Lloyds to Unicredit, of 2021. Unicredit have logged €985,50. This is the first time in 20 years that the (Italian) receiving bank seem to have charged a commission. Is anyone aware of changed practices post 1/1/21, please?
From the Brexit changes thread Spanish banks are charging .35% on transfers from the UK now because the UK is outside EEA. Unicredit is charging more!
I am thinking of scrapping Unicredit and getting a N26 account. N26 gives you an Italian IBAN but no credit card.

Last edited by philat98; Jan 6th 2021 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am thinking of scrapping Unicredit and getting a N26 account. N26 gives you an Italian IBAN but no credit card.
Is N26 a bit like Transfwise or a proper bank?
Old Jan 7th 2021, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

From the Brexit changes thread Spanish banks are charging .35% on transfers from the UK now because the UK is outside EEA. Unicredit is charging more!
Yes, confirmed by the branch this morning; made up of two entries. €11 + €3,50.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

I checked out N26 (based in Berlin ??), which I believe is a 'proper' bank, but I was concerned as to how they seem to have closed all accounts in the UK a year or two ago BEFORE Brexit. I keep getting emails from them, I might still be tempted, but, I keep coming back to, why not open another bank account here to transfer the lot from a UK account or a regular (e.g. monthly) amount such as a pension?

PSG
Old Jan 7th 2021, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
Is N26 a bit like Transfwise or a proper bank?
Something between I think. I will send some money from UK and see what happens.

Last edited by philat98; Jan 7th 2021 at 9:55 am.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Something between I think. I will send some money from UK and see what happens.
N26 made no deduction on a transfer of €200.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You cant open an N26 account from a British address, but if you have an Italian address you can.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes I was looking at my Unicredit account and I noticed they charge €40 for the debit card added to that something for every transaction.
I sent some money to from the UK to Fineco. They said they couldnt accept the money. Deducted 3% and sent it back.
Re charges, found a message from Unicredit in early December warning that UK's exit fom SEPA club would mean 3rd Country charges in future. (I use my phone for bank business and seldom read the messages.)
Your mention of Unicredit charges caused me to check what I have been paying.
My account is "Supergenius 2.0". Monthly charge is €13,04, offset by €3 refund for regular, monthly credits therefore €10,04 net. There is no charge for movements or for withdrawals from a Unicredit ATM. I recently replaced my Debit card for one with touch technology, paying €7 for the replacement card; costi di emissione are €22 per year with 100% sconto sul costo annuo, ie €0!
In summary, I can't really complain. Perhaps the branches make it up as they go along.

Last edited by jiminalpago; Jan 8th 2021 at 11:37 am.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 8:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
UK's exit fom SEPA club
When is that going to happen? I have no news that the UK will exit from SEPA. Or was this in the Brexit deal?
Old Jan 9th 2021, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a bit vague at the moment, but as far as I can see the UK has not, and will not be, exiting SEPA. Therefore I suspect banks are incorrectly charging people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.