Types of pasta

Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:58 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Types of pasta

My children's best friends have just had lunch here. They are another sister/brother pair and are the same age as mine. They're good kids and have eaten here before, but today when I put the pasta out in bowls the little lad told me he didn't really like that kind of pasta and did I have spaghetti instead. I'd bought fresh fettuccine so it would be cooked quickly.
I told him to get it eaten as fettuccine was only spaghetti squashed flat but it made me think .......

Do you prefer spaghetti to farfalle or fusilli to penne? Or is it all the same to you? And what's the best known pasta dish of your region? Here we have a lot of places serving homemade bigoli - like fat spaghetti and the typical sauce to go with it is duck ragu.... Bigoli con l'anatra.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:42 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default Re: Types of pasta

I find it all most bl@@@dy confusing. My Italian aunt, Luciana, shakes her head in disgust when I serve the wrong pasta with the wrong sauce. I'm still learning.
Attached Thumbnails Types of pasta-538px-pasta_2006_1.jpg   Types of pasta-800px-pasta_2006_2.jpg  
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

I served Penne with Pesto once and DH's Zia was disgusted with me !! Was told should only be served with spaghetti or orechietti (SP?)
We used to eat lots pasta all'aglio in the summer. Bucatti ( I think thats the right one, like spaghetti but thicker with a hole down the middle) with cold tinned toms, tuna and garlic and basil crushed with oil ..........I'm hungry now !!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ernesto, you back here yet?

I was once served large ravioli type things stuffed with squid, but the pasta had been made using the black squid juice and it looked most unappetising. tasted ok but looked like grey/black lumps on the plate.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:40 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello Ernesto, you back here yet?

I was once served large ravioli type things stuffed with squid, but the pasta had been made using the black squid juice and it looked most unappetising. tasted ok but looked like grey/black lumps on the plate.

Nearly, Lorna.
How was your Christmas and new year are you glad to be back?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

The typical pasta dishes here in Salento are orecchiette con le cime di rape - flat ear-shaped pasta with green rape tops(?). Le cime di rape are lovely greens, in England you see fields of the yellow flowers of rape seed. Then there are strozzapreti (priest chokers(?)) little slightly rolled pasta, and minchiareddhi (that rude word again). It is strange how different pasta shapes go with certain types of sauce. We always have linguine with sea-food sauce, penne and tortiglioni with ragu or to make pasta al forno. Spaghetti is great agli olio, hot chilli peppers and anchovies or with most sauces I think. I hate bucattini and fusilli, weird.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:17 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I dislike fusilli too, but it's oh's fav. He doesn't care what should go with what. It's fusulli, fusilli and more fusilli for him. I like spaghetti.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

It's a serious business, isn't it! We had a big meal at a pizzeria for all the Brits the day before our wedding. Because there are 3 celiacs in our family they provided gluten-free pasta. The owner came out with three different pasta shapes on a presentation dish to ask me which kind the family would prefer- I laughed because honestly, they wouldn't care what shape it was, they were just happy to have something that they could eat. I was asked quite sharply what I was laughing at. Oops!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I buy a lot of penne and the other short tube type pastas, not because I like it but it's easier for my daughter to eat than spag! My favourite is farfalle with any kind of ragu but especially mushroom! Here big ravioli are popular in restaurants but I couldn't tell you what was regional! Esselunga sells a potato filled tortellini which is allegedly Tuscan. It's good! I nearly bough fresh, chocolate filled, chocolate ravioli yesterday...,
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

In Naples they have paccheri. They are like big rigatoni, but not rigate. Yum.
On telly here the ther day there was one of those phone ins where the question is supposed to be so easy that everyone phones in and pays a pound for the phone call. Anyway, the question was "Which kind of pasta is typically eaten with bolognese" spaghetti was I think meant to be the answer, becasue in England they associate spahetti with bolognese, but in Naples no way is bolognese put with spaghetti.

I love all pasta types really - including fusilli. Spaghetti is probably my least favourite.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

What's mushroom ragu? :S
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

my kids have got fussy recently and wont eat spaghetti for some reason... I reckon they are just too lazy! I have no idea what goes with what. I like egg tagliatelle with carbonara tho, but not sure if you are 'supposed' to have it like that. Pesto goes on whatever I've got in the cupboard for a quick lunch for myself!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
my kids have got fussy recently and wont eat spaghetti for some reason... I reckon they are just too lazy! I have no idea what goes with what. I like egg tagliatelle with carbonara tho, but not sure if you are 'supposed' to have it like that. Pesto goes on whatever I've got in the cupboard for a quick lunch for myself!!
Spaghetti can be hard work until you learn the knack of lifting a few strands and then twiddling them on the side of your plate. As far as I know spaghetti is never served in schools here as too many kids could make too much of a mess with it. Quicker and easier to serve penne. Stab a bit with a fork and eat it - no mess.

It still amuses me when I see non Italians get served with an extra spoon in restaurants for their spaghetti .......... if you can twiddle it on an extra spoon why can't you twiddle it on the side of your plate or dish ???

Or do what the Italians do ....... twiddle a lump of it and shove it in your mouth and bite off the dangly bits to be picked up later
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

DH has just made pasta all'aglio, olio e peperoncino and was not impressed we had no spaghetti. We had it with penne which was just as good
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by selinuntina
DH has just made pasta all'aglio, olio e peperoncino and was not impressed we had no spaghetti. We had it with penne which was just as good
Like I said - in some cases pasta is just that - PASTA.

Having said that, I once served served carbonara with pasta tubes because I'd finished all the spaghetti and although it tasted the same, it didn't "feel" the same.

Who'd have ever thought coming to Italy that plain old pasta could be so diverse!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.