Tuscan help

Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

beany71 will become famous soon enoughbeany71 will become famous soon enough
Smile Tuscan help

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can throw a few ideas our way as we are debating on moving from Sicily to Tuscany? We would prefer I think to be further north and I do love the tuscan region.

However I do know its lots more expensive and we would be looking for a a long term rental house or apartment with our cats too
Can anyone help and give advice ??? point me in the right direction ? I like the area of lucca and Bagni di lucca also sienna and chianti region in general

If you can help on any of this I would be happy to hear from you as need to sort out a rental house first for at least 6/12 months.

Cheers and hope to hear from anyone soon

Debs
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:44 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tuscan help

What happened to Sicily after all then?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Tuscan help

Hi there,

Nothing has happened to sicily ... we will carry on the business as usual but my guy has possibility of good job opeing i engineering north tuscany so we are looking to stay there and work from there for 6/12 months from after xmas onwards dont know that area as well so need some advice? you got any?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:27 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Not for north Tuscany I don't know it - all the time I spent there was in the southern part. All I could say is that I always liked the hills behind Carrara. Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks tress I will let everyone know the out come I hope I get more replies for some advice
Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debs

Of the two places I'd personally head for Lucca. I lived in siena some years ago and it's a wonderful place but I felt a bit cut off from everywhere else. I didn't have a car and spent hours waiting at train stations for connections. I'd head for Lucca area, I've never lived there but I do go every now and then in the evenings and I like the general atmosphere. You've got good motorway connections so you can get to Pisa airport in about 25 minutes, Florence is about 50 minutes away by car and lots of trains. You've got the mountains , Abetone if you like skiing, and the sea close by plus there are lots of expat too. I've no idea about rental prices. Good Luck
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

clare-h is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi We moved to Bagni di Lucca in April and are loving it here. We bought our place but have friends who are renting a 2 bed house in one of the lovely hill top villages for about 450 euros a month - this might be less in the winter when you want to come out.

As others have said there are quite a few expats living here - lots of retired people as there are in lots of Tuscany, but there has been a recent run on younger couples with kids - mostly attending the local school. We live right in the centre of the Villa area - we didn't want to be too far away from things there are rentals in this area but I guess they would be more expensive.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:55 pm
down under where

Hi, For what it's worth I couldn't stand Siena when I was there. It was great to look at once or twice (shame on me I know) but I found the attitude of the people there really hard to deal with. I'd head to Lucca area too - quite a few Italian alternative types went out there which is always a good thing don't you think?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience the Senese are very warm and welcoming towards non italians, it's also a university town and has a big student population. Lucchese are bit more to themselves and not so open, don't be surprised if it takes a while to break the ice with neighbours.

Treskillard, how come you had such a hard time in Siena ?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:15 am
down under where

I wouldn't call it a hard time - I was working there as a guide in the past taking groups around the city, galeries, palazzo publico etc. I found it inward looking and it didn't attract me to stay there. Not much of an opinion really, please don't think me rude! But.... I find small town bourgeois Italian public life really off putting and the whole Sienese pride over the Palio and the contradas is something that I personally didn't like. Apologies to you who live there, know it and like it. Yours in opinionated ignorance, Treskillard.