translation

Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default translation

Hi all, the company I rent offices from wants an instruction booklet (word doc) translating from English to Italian. 97,000 words 587 pages.

Anyone out there need a bit of work.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:00 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: translation

Thats 97,000 English words, 587 pages in English. This translates to 1,345,200 Italian words and 5348 pages in Italian! When do you need it ready?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
Thats 97,000 English words, 587 pages in English. This translates to 1,345,200 Italian words and 5348 pages in Italian! When do you need it ready?
Good question I will check but I know they have at least 5 more manuals they need doing
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:15 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Could you also please ask them what the instruction booklet is about. It might be some obscure bit of machinery or something that none of us know anything about.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Could you also please ask them what the instruction booklet is about. It might be some obscure bit of machinery or something that none of us know anything about.
Hi Lorna.
I have scanned read some of the pages and it is an instruction booklet for a CNC Machine. Computer controlled Lathe.

But the doc is not very technical. I suppose the easiest way to explain it is to say it is like a car manual.. what the switches do not how to take the engine to pieces. If any one is interested I can forward the doc for them to have a look at..
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Ordinarily I might have been interested, but I'm pretty tied up with school at the mo, though that won't last forever.

I hate instruction manuals though. I don't suppose you know if this manual is going worldwide of if it's just for in office use by the Italians who bought a CNC machine and can't follow the instructions because nobody in the office knows English.

It's a helluva lot easier to write a "quick guide" for in house usage.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi. Ordinarily I might have been interested, but I'm pretty tied up with school at the mo, though that won't last forever.

I hate instruction manuals though. I don't suppose you know if this manual is going worldwide of if it's just for in office use by the Italians who bought a CNC machine and can't follow the instructions because nobody in the office knows English.

It's a helluva lot easier to write a "quick guide" for in house usage.

The company sell the machines in Italy so it will be sent with each new machine

. There is one thing I did notice and that is the original document has grammatical errors nothing huge but I think this has been translated from maybe chinese into english first. The Machine comes from Taiwan...
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:01 pm

That sounds typical.
Most of the things we have bought recently have had a crappy English translation. This never bothers OH coz he'd rather ignore both the Italian and English and fiddle around with the damn machine for ages trying to input info.
Ocasionally he has given up on a certain part and left it for another day. It has given me great pleasure to go to him later and say "ta da !!!! I did it - I did it."
When he asks how did I manage it when he didn't .. I just tell him I looked at the manual like any sensible person would.

I hope this company have money. That's a lot of pages to translate.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

That sounds typical.
Most of the things we have bought recently have had a crappy English translation. This never bothers OH coz he'd rather ignore both the Italian and English and fiddle around with the damn machine for ages trying to input info.
Ocasionally he has given up on a certain part and left it for another day. It has given me great pleasure to go to him later and say "ta da !!!! I did it - I did it."
When he asks how did I manage it when he didn't .. I just tell him I looked at the manual like any sensible person would.

I hope this company have money. That's a lot of pages to translate.
We had a new thermostat for the heating installed last year. The instruction booklet is in Italian, German, French and Chinese. So I searched the internet for a uk booklet.. No chance the booklet I downloaded as a PDF exactly the same. No English

My OH refused to tell me how to program the unit. She said learn Italian!!!! So I tweek the odd button when she is out if I am cold and then get shouted at... Or refuse to go downstairs to adjust it when we are in bed.

How much do you think this will cost him??? Guestimate..
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:22 pm

Average price is 25 euro per word doc page. This means Times New Roman standard size. Full page of writing without big gaps for diagrams, photos etc. It does include larger text titles and space between paragraphs.

I'm guessing that the 587 pages of printed booklet are not A4 size as this would come to a lot more than 97,000 words.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Average price is 25 euro per word doc page. This means Times New Roman standard size. Full page of writing without big gaps for diagrams, photos etc. It does include larger text titles and space between paragraphs.

I'm guessing that the 587 pages of printed booklet are not A4 size as this would come to a lot more than 97,000 words.
This booklet has diagrams etc so yes you are spot on...

Lot of money eh!!

Gosh I just halved the pages to take into account the diagrams and its loads of money
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
This booklet has diagrams etc so yes you are spot on...

Lot of money eh!!

Gosh I just halved the pages to take into account the diagrams and its loads of money
this is one reason why one of my students is hassling me to translate things for him from Italian into English (I can go that way just not the other way -and it depends how technical it is) He needs 'authorised translations' though and I can't do those despite what he might say.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by indiebird
this is one reason why one of my students is hassling me to translate things for him from Italian into English (I can go that way just not the other way -and it depends how technical it is) He needs 'authorised translations' though and I can't do those despite what he might say.....
My wife can go both ways... (no comments duffer we are talking about translation) but she doesn't have the time. She has a kid to look after
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
My wife can go both ways... (no comments duffer we are talking about translation) but she doesn't have the time. She has a kid to look after
oh and she does have her work cut out with you....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by indiebird
oh and she does have her work cut out with you....
I was the kid in question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.