Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Translating V5 log book, help!

Translating V5 log book, help!

Old Sep 4th 2020, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Barberino1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Translating V5 log book, help!

Hi everyone!

We have a house in Tuscany and I want to get my UK registered car onto an Italian numberplate. I now the general procedure (scheda tecnica, V5 apostillated and translated, collaudo, etc), but my biggest tumbling block is the translation of the V5. I can do it myself as I'm bilingual, though not officially an approved translator (this didn't seem to matter when I sent in my own translation of my marriage certificate to obtain citizenship), BUT translating the V5 and keeping it in a similar format will be an absolute nightmare.

Seeing as it's now a prerequisite for anyone bringing UK cars onto Italian plates, I'm hoping beyond hope that someone out there has a copy in word or similar format that I could use as a template for my own translation. If not, any pointers to where I could get one would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2020, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Translating V5 log book, help!

From a quick search on the web, it seems that you will need a traduzione giurata for the motorizzazione which you techincally cant do yourself as it concerns you. It doesnt stop you translating it and then getting someone to go to thetribunale armed with marca di bollo etc and swearing it on your behalf.
As to the modello, I cant find anything. Sorry.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you know it is very unlikely anyone will have such a Word template. I do not knowhow fussy they will be over any translation, but I would suggest it may be possible to do something on the lines of this MS article here, or simply scan your document into Word, crop it into parts and insert below a translation. This SpeedyReg site has images of the document if it helps, but it is a new (ish) format.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

In my town the British School will do it. They will take it to the Tribunale too and doesnt cost very much.
I translated my driving licence and the Tribunale accepted it but that is a very simple translation (and according to modicasa illegal)

Last edited by philat98; Sep 4th 2020 at 11:46 am.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Even with the peculiarities of Italian law, it would be odd if you translate docs which concern yourself, then swear them at a court that they are true and correct translation and then use them as unquestionable legal evidence!
Old Sep 6th 2020, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

We used the Automobile Club office for transferring our plates - we gave them the original V5C and this was sufficient, no translation requested. However, it was quite expensive using their services and I don't know if this was peculiar to our local office.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lugsbug
We used the Automobile Club office for transferring our plates - we gave them the original V5C and this was sufficient, no translation requested. However, it was quite expensive using their services and I don't know if this was peculiar to our local office.
I think you really need to have a breakdown of what they are charging you for. Our experience with the ACI was very good locally, yes they did charge, but never really that high. I'm sure I've seen a breakdown (in English) on their site of the charges involved in registration/import - was car tax one of them?
Old Sep 6th 2020, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Sorry, I meant not having to have a translated document for our local office (not the cost element). It cost us around e700 to re-register through them. On top of this it was e1,000 to change the headlights and c. e250 for the car tax.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not at all Lugsbug, your post was spot on and I think a good way to go, just wondered how expensive it was compare to other options.