Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

toddler adjusting to new home and new language

toddler adjusting to new home and new language

Old May 23rd 2012, 6:59 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: toddler adjusting to new home and new language

Yes, I am tall, dark and handsome.

In fact, I think I have a very unfriendly 'WTF you looking at?' face, i.e. the London look, that might make Italians think twice about making any type of comment apart from a complimentary one.
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes, I am tall, dark and handsome.

In fact, I think I have a very unfriendly 'WTF you looking at?' face, i.e. the London look, that might make Italians think twice about making any type of comment apart from a complimentary one.
Last I saw from Italianised - English adverts "The London Look" was something about Rimmel mascara or eyeliner.

Perhaps I should develop something like a London Tube "don't **** with me" face and then all the interfering Italian no good, busy bodies might leave me alone.

I'm going to practice now in the mirror. The kids are asleep in their beds so I can't practice on them.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

I've never had anyone being negative about my speaking English to Emily - to my face, anyway. I've had old bids give me funny looks sometimes but that may just be because they don't like foreigners... mostly people ask if I speak to her in English and marvel at how lucky she is. We are in a city though, not sure how it would be in one of the villages.

And yes, I thought of Rimmel immediately as well. It must be his mascara scaring them off.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:43 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone in any doubt should come down to Rome and meet my mate's sister and her family (girl of 15 and boy of 13) - she and her Italian hubby did the Dad in Italian and Mum in English at home bit. Result - you now have 2 kids who speak fluently (and think) in both languages - very impressive.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Anyone in any doubt should come down to Rome and meet my mate's sister and her family (girl of 15 and boy of 13) - she and her Italian hubby did the Dad in Italian and Mum in English at home bit. Result - you now have 2 kids who speak fluently (and think) in both languages - very impressive.
It's the 'Mum in English' which always wins ...

Duffer and his London look would seem to be an exception .. hardly surprising really
Old May 24th 2012, 7:44 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

It'll take me hours looking that good. She's a stunner!
Old May 24th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by duffer
It'll take me hours looking that good. She's a stunner!
Not 'arf! I strongly recommend you adjust your forum icon accordingly ...

Moderator!