Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Time required to sign a rental contract?

Wikiposts

Time required to sign a rental contract?

Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Roman_Mat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time required to sign a rental contract?

Hi, I need to know what is the approximate average time required to sign a rental contract once you've seen a flat, to calculate how much time I have to spend in a holiday apartment. Is it something quite quick, say 2-3 days (so a week is enough), or it can be slow (two weeks or more) ?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:00 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time required to sign a rental contract?

Originally Posted by Roman_Mat
Hi, I need to know what is the approximate average time required to sign a rental contract once you've seen a flat, to calculate how much time I have to spend in a holiday apartment. Is it something quite quick, say 2-3 days (so a week is enough), or it can be slow (two weeks or more) ?
It can be done in a week or less ... but that of course might depend on the flat, its conditions and if it is rental ready or if the landlord needs to change or update something in it.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:16 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I viewed the appartment with the Agent and the Landlord, and we then went back to the Agent's office, I signed the contract and handed over the cheque for deposit and first months rent - I then walked out with the keys less than 3 hours.

That was in Rome and through an Agent though so not sure how relevant to your circumstances.

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Oct 14th 2012 at 9:18 pm. Reason: Read Lorna's post - the appartment had just been renovated so needed nothing doing to it.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, so it seems it is quite fast and without too much bureaucracy.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:19 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, so it seems it is quite fast and without too much bureaucracy.
Yes, I would say so, as long as you have an experienced and competent agent who is very experienced on the contracts. To do it DIY fashion will be more time consuming particularly as the contracts will have to be registered afterwards which will be the bureaucratic bit - but I am sure there must be people on the site who have done it DIY.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I viewed the appartment with the Agent and the Landlord, and we then went back to the Agent's office, I signed the contract and handed over the cheque for deposit and first months rent - I then walked out with the keys less than 3 hours.

That was in Rome and through an Agent though so not sure how relevant to your circumstances.
We rented from a woman in the village, our experience was very similar to Garabatellamike, although I do remember there was a fee to be paid for the stamp (tax)

Last edited by Pecora Nera; Oct 15th 2012 at 3:13 am. Reason: Can't spell for toffee
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

I suppose a lot depends on whether you're looking at furnished or unfurnished? If unfurnished, around here it's normal to have to install your own kitchen, which obviously takes time. My experience is the same as the others in that I got the keys straight away, but then spent 6 weeks decorating and having a kitchen put in..... and I had to wait for the landlord to install a hot water system as they had delayed putting it in until finding a tenant. All that for what I thought was going to be just a years contract - (but I'm still here after 3 years.....)
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have found what you want and agreed a price with the landlord it takes about 2 hours in the estate agents office -but make sure you have all the required documents beforehand - codice fiscale, passport, and proof of income (tax return for last 1-2 years). If the landlord doesn't live locally it make take time to set up an appointment but a good estate agent can organise a signature without you being there. The codice fiscale is not always needed - you just have to say you will get one later but it might be an advantage to get one if you havn't already
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks to everybody. So I need to get first my codice fiscale, for which I only have to show my passport (I am british), which I suppose they will give it to me inmediately, right? and then to sign the rental contract I only need the codice fiscale, passport and prove of income or bank account extract right?

It is just to get things clear as some information in the net is a bit contradictory.... as the Certificato di Residenza is not strictly needed, at least for signing the contract in first place no?

And is the certificato di residenza hard to get for a british citizen without job, just a bank extract and prove that I am receiving income from a rented flat in another country?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mat
You don't need a residence certificate at all even to sign a long term rental contract.
Getting residence takes a long time. According to someone I was talking to yesterday he couldn't get residence in Milan even after 11 months despite working there. You really need to show you are working in Italy orliving off a retirement pension to get residence here and a bank account extract will certainly not be enough. If you are living off rental income from outside Italy I would consider very carefully before becoming a resident as you will have to declare your property to the italian tax authorities and pay a yearly tax on its capital value plus tax on your rental income (after deducting any taxes you pay whereever the property is). I recommend remaining a non-resident if poss
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicktonight
Hi Mat
You don't need a residence certificate at all even to sign a long term rental contract.
Getting residence takes a long time. According to someone I was talking to yesterday he couldn't get residence in Milan even after 11 months despite working there. You really need to show you are working in Italy orliving off a retirement pension to get residence here and a bank account extract will certainly not be enough. If you are living off rental income from outside Italy I would consider very carefully before becoming a resident as you will have to declare your property to the italian tax authorities and pay a yearly tax on its capital value plus tax on your rental income (after deducting any taxes you pay whereever the property is). I recommend remaining a non-resident if poss

The thing about Italy is nothing is the same across the country, I don't doubt for one minute that it took your friend 11+ months to get residency. I went to our local municipal and signed some forms, 2 weeks later an Italian policeman walked into my house to make sure I did live there and that was that.

On the other hand I went into one office to get myself registered with the doctor, dentist etc and the woman said it was not possible unless I produced my NHS card complete with European flag. After 2 weeks I went back with the same NHS manila card (minus any stupid European flag) saw a different woman and hey presto she signed me up.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
The thing about Italy is nothing is the same across the country, I don't doubt for one minute that it took your friend 11+ months to get residency. I went to our local municipal and signed some forms, 2 weeks later an Italian policeman walked into my house to make sure I did live there and that was that.

On the other hand I went into one office to get myself registered with the doctor, dentist etc and the woman said it was not possible unless I produced my NHS card complete with European flag. After 2 weeks I went back with the same NHS manila card (minus any stupid European flag) saw a different woman and hey presto she signed me up.
Pecora Nera is right, unfortunately. Some of the shits that work in the Comune talk straight from their arses. Excuse my language.

The law however states that an EU citizen when applying for residency (if not employed or studying here) must have proof of enough funds for your stay and private health insurance.

It does not say "proof of income". Bank statements of a savings account should be enough. There is a guessed price out there somewhere of what constitutes enough funds. I can't remember exactly but it's around 5.000 euro per year.

Per periodi superiori ai 3 mesi è necessario iscriversi all'anagrafe (pdf 19 Kb) del comune di residenza.
Per l'iscrizione è necessario presentare la documentazione che attesti lo svolgimento di un'attività lavorativa, di studio o di formazione professionale.
Diversamente, è necessario dimostrare la disponibilità di risorse economiche sufficienti al soggiorno ed essere titolari di un'assicurazione sanitaria.

This extract is from the Police website so print it out and take it with you to your Comune incase anybody tries to tell you differently. I'll see if I can find the English of this for you.

http://www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/10387/
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Pecora Nera is right, unfortunately. Some of the shits that work in the Comune talk straight from their arses. Excuse my language.

The law however states that an EU citizen when applying for residency (if not employed or studying here) must have proof of enough funds for your stay and private health insurance.

It does not say "proof of income". Bank statements of a savings account should be enough. There is a guessed price out there somewhere of what constitutes enough funds. I can't remember exactly but it's around 5.000 euro per year.

Per periodi superiori ai 3 mesi è necessario iscriversi all'anagrafe (pdf 19 Kb) del comune di residenza.
Per l'iscrizione è necessario presentare la documentazione che attesti lo svolgimento di un'attività lavorativa, di studio o di formazione professionale.
Diversamente, è necessario dimostrare la disponibilità di risorse economiche sufficienti al soggiorno ed essere titolari di un'assicurazione sanitaria.

This extract is from the Police website so print it out and take it with you to your Comune incase anybody tries to tell you differently. I'll see if I can find the English of this for you.

http://www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/10387/

Hi Lorna,

At that time I wasn't working and did not produce any proof or income, however Mrs Sensible was the teacher at the local school so maybe they took that into account. Who knows what they do in Italy.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Hi Lorna,

At that time I wasn't working and did not produce any proof or income, however Mrs Sensible was the teacher at the local school so maybe they took that into account. Who knows what they do in Italy.
Was it at the time when you had a permesso di soggiorno though?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:22 pm

I found the English blurb......... scroll down to article 7.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...35:0048:en:PDF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.