Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Is there any living in Sicily just for the fun of it?

Is there any living in Sicily just for the fun of it?

Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there any living in Sicily just for the fun of it?

Seems to be loads of people with families and kids on here or working on a contract etc etc..... Has anyone moved to Sicily to lay in the sun and have a good time?...... I've had the kids and got the T-shirt.........My idea is to get away from the mundane and of course the cold weather,
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is there any living in Sicily just for the fun of it?

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
Seems to be loads of people with families and kids on here or working on a contract etc etc..... Has anyone moved to Sicily to lay in the sun and have a good time?...... I've had the kids and got the T-shirt.........My idea is to get away from the mundane and of course the cold weather,
There was an "older" couple who lived in the nearby town to us who retired to Sicily. They are both artist though and moved to our area for the temples and the history, they hate the sun and beach
Even though I did have kid I still laid in the sun and had a good time !!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

So what was the reason for you settling there?................ You mentioned temples...are you near Agrigento? and are you still looking for a good time?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
So what was the reason for you settling there?................ You mentioned temples...are you near Agrigento? and are you still looking for a good time?
We were in Selinunte, not too far away, Trapani Province. Its actually a bigger archelogical park than Agrigento but not as well known. My husband is from there, we met in UK and moved there in 2001. We left 2 weeks ago . Dh couldn't find work after being "let go" from where he was working and he got a job back here in UK.
I'm still looking for a good time, although will save all my fun for when we go back home in the summer
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:29 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You could go and sit on the beach at New Brighton instead now.....!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
You could go and sit on the beach at New Brighton instead now.....!
Ummm... walk along new brighton, look back and see dirty irish sea and the liverpool waterfront
Walk along selinunte and see clear blue sea and ancient greek ruins
Saying that after 7 years away I'm appreciating the uk a lot
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

So anyone left whos still loving it?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Yes , Me I love it. The food, the fact that every morning when I get up the sun is shining. Everybody knows me as the "Inglese". All know my car as it is RHD and they think I am really intelligent because I know how to drive it The bread man delivers my bread to my house every day. The Dr is available 24/7. All summer you can live outside. We have hot water free because we have a solar panel!
I could go on and on but don't want to bore you.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by giuliana
Yes , Me I love it. The food, the fact that every morning when I get up the sun is shining. Everybody knows me as the "Inglese". All know my car as it is RHD and they think I am really intelligent because I know how to drive it The bread man delivers my bread to my house every day. The Dr is available 24/7. All summer you can live outside. We have hot water free because we have a solar panel!
I could go on and on but don't want to bore you.
giuliana, what's it like in the winter months, weather wise, do you have expensive heating bills?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds magical............... what does the old man do while you are laying in the sun or walking the dogs?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnnyj
giuliana, what's it like in the winter months, weather wise, do you have expensive heating bills?
Well, Up to now the central heating has not been turned on We have a log fire in the living room so heats up quick. Good for jacket potatoes as well. We have a gas cylinder and in summer we buy gas as it is cheaper (less domanda) and I would say €500 usually covers the year. The house is in open country side and is 250sqm internally.
I don't lie in the sun all day I am always busy, we rent villas to holiday makers so when it is hot I am usually washing towels and sheets, although they dry in an hour with the sun here. I do play with my dogs a lot I have got 3. We have a small splash pool so we cool off there.
I don't buy fruit in summer as we have a pergola ( this year nearly 50 kg of grapes and 2 fig trees. Now got 3 chickens can't wait for fresh eggs. Also we have olive trees and make our own oil.
Fantastic and healthy lifestyleThe old man works!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

ashleykarim is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds great....where do I sign up?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

shahaanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Is there any living in Sicily just for the fun of it?

I have been living in Malta for 20 years and have a laid back lifestyle.

I am considering a move to Sicily as I want a little space for my horses.

Im used to the Med lifestyle and an active social life. That may be more of a problem in rural Sicily.....

Any ideas on a place to settle would be appreciated. Im early 50's