tax question

Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Salerno will become famous soon enough
Default tax question

First of all hello to all......

I have a question. I am a ex UK resident with Irish citizenship and have been living in Italy for 10 years now. I have no thoughts of going back to live in the UK and was wondering if I could get my tax and social security back or transferred so as to become Italian credits? I worked full time in the UK for 6 years

thanks to everyone who answers
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: tax question

1). If you have been resident in Italy for 10 years you should not be paying tax in the UK except on unearned UK income (investment income).

2). If you have been resident in Italy for 10 years Social security payments (UK NI payments) should not be paid in UK, you should have paid in Italy. NI payments in any EU member state are summed up in the end to establish an EU total payment record. It is counted up in weeks of payments. right now in the UK you need 44 years to qualify for full state pension, it is significantly less in Italy.

If you really have been resident in Italy for 10 years without paying taxes or social security you could be in deep water, get some proffesional, reliable advice.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

maybe I explained myself wrong. I have been working here and paying taxes here for 10 years. Previously I worked in the UK paying taxes and social security there, laws have changed since I left and seeing as I have no desire to return I wanted to know if the taxes/social security paid in the UK could be transferred to my Italian Social Security count.

To get the Italian State pension I need to work until 2042 (when I'll be 65) and then I will get (an estimate) €420 a month
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salerno
maybe I explained myself wrong. I have been working here and paying taxes here for 10 years. Previously I worked in the UK paying taxes and social security there, laws have changed since I left and seeing as I have no desire to return I wanted to know if the taxes/social security paid in the UK could be transferred to my Italian Social Security count.

To get the Italian State pension I need to work until 2042 (when I'll be 65) and then I will get (an estimate) €420 a month
The tax you have paid is gone, spent in some mindless way, but the social security payments will go towards a partial UK pension when you retire and claim it.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
The tax you have paid is gone, spent in some mindless way, but the social security payments will go towards a partial UK pension when you retire and claim it.
Is there no way I can add it to my Italian pension?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Is there no way I can add it to my Italian pension?
Not as far as I know, you just claim it from the UK when you retire.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Not as far as I know, you just claim it from the UK when you retire.
which means a cut in my already magre italian pension???? ok will get a private pension set up tomorrow.....
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

which means a cut in my already magre italian pension???? ok will get a private pension set up tomorrow.....
But you will get a partial UK pension for the stamps you have paid so far.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
But you will get a partial UK pension for the stamps you have paid so far.
but the cut I would get on the Italian pension wouldn't make it worth it. Am already worried about how I will live on just over €400 a month in 30 years...never mind if they cut it by 40%
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

I don't believe that what is being said above is true, if you have spent a qualifying period in Italy (and by 2040 you will have for sure) then your UK contributions will be communicated to INPS via a form EU205 GB and your 10 years of UK contributions will be added to your 30 (?) years of direct INPS contributions and you will be paid an Italian pension.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris120
I don't believe that what is being said above is true, if you have spent a qualifying period in Italy (and by 2040 you will have for sure) then your UK contributions will be communicated to INPS via a form EU205 GB and your 10 years of UK contributions will be added to your 30 (?) years of direct INPS contributions and you will be paid an Italian pension.
its what my accountant told me, that if I claim a partial UK pension I will be liable for up to a 40% cut in the Italian one....I know 40 years contributes are a lot for such a small pension but thats what you get when you open a business and try to be hoonest here:curse:
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't know why you think your Italian state pension will be worse than a UK state pension, unless it's because you are self employed and/or young. I expect my Italian state pension to be superior to a UK state pension and i also expect to be able to claim it with less contributions (36 years as opposed to 44 in UK) and at an earlier age (65 years of age in UK). Of course all of these conditions are on a sliding scale in Italy and getting worse, so it depends how old you are today as to what conditions you will enjoy, this is one of the few occasions when it pays to be old!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by chris120
I don't know why you think your Italian state pension will be worse than a UK state pension, unless it's because you are self employed and/or young. I expect my Italian state pension to be superior to a UK state pension and i also expect to be able to claim it with less contributions (36 years as opposed to 44 in UK) and at an earlier age (65 years of age in UK). Of course all of these conditions are on a sliding scale in Italy and getting worse, so it depends how old you are today as to what conditions you will enjoy, this is one of the few occasions when it pays to be old!
The UK is now changing to 36 years contributions, if you retire after 2010.
Like you say the Italian one will pay out more probably.