Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Hi,

Ok I know very little Italian - I am grade 1 baby level
I have picked up bits and bobs but think it is time to go back to the classroom, I have found a language school in Taormina that seems to be good and have a couple of questions which I am sure will be easily answered on this thread.

I found the following acronym's

Celi
Cils

If I am going to go to a language school and pay a not insignificant amount of money to study I would like to get on to a proper framework of learning - it is not unfeasible that I might want to turn this into an Italian degree in the future (I collect degrees)

So any info / tips / advice / explanation

thank you
Hi there, I work in an Italian language school and we offer the CELI exam here. As you'll have figured out by now CILS and CELI are official Italian language exams that you can take, the equivalent of the First Certificate for the English language. A CELI level 3 is usually necessary to study at an Italian uni. You can take special exam preparation courses, another useful point of reference is the cvcl (Perugia University for foreigners) website where you can find exam centres and download past papers.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Puree or Purea ??? (italian mashed potato)

Which one do you say ? I have always said purea and yet here in Piemonte they say puree. My m-in-law is from Veneto and has always said it with the 'a'- but maybe its just her
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Here darn sarf nobody uses either. Mashed tatie aint on anybody's menu'.
However, for what it's worth I always say 'puree'.
Garzanti says it should be pure'.

ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Puré (with only one "e" and an acute accent - the Italians don't know the difference between grave and acute) is the French word, used in Italy only for potato puré, the potato part being understood. More in general, if you make it with another vegetable (carrots, cauliflower etc.), the term is purea di xxxx.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:15 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Puree or Purea ??? (italian mashed potato)

Which one do you say ? I have always said purea and yet here in Piemonte they say puree. My m-in-law is from Veneto and has always said it with the 'a'- but maybe its just her
I think both are grammatically correct. Hubby's family from Turin call it 'puré di patate' yet here in Veneto the use 'purea di patate'. They both come from the french purée (looked that up in The Treccani)

Jonwel. My sons were taught the difference between grave and acute at school. And it wasn't THAT long ago.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live everyone says purè.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 37100
Jonwel. My sons were taught the difference between grave and acute at school. And it wasn't THAT long ago.
I'm sure they were, but what people remember in adult life is a bit different. Especially in copying down foreign words, even from Spanish where all accents are acute, the tendency is to use the grave accent throughout. Obviously when I said "the Italians" I didn't mean everyone....
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:43 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
I'm sure they were, but what people remember in adult life is a bit different. Especially in copying down foreign words, even from Spanish where all accents are acute, the tendency is to use the grave accent throughout. Obviously when I said "the Italians" I didn't mean everyone....
No. I realized that. You just made me feel old.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

beesknees369 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

Can anyone recommend any private Italian instructors willing to take on an adult and child (11 yrs. old)? At a fairly beginning level. I have looked into some of the local language schools and they don't seem to be able to accommodate children, unsurprisingly. We are located in Vicenza.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Holly
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beesknees369
Hi!

Can anyone recommend any private Italian instructors willing to take on an adult and child (11 yrs. old)? At a fairly beginning level. I have looked into some of the local language schools and they don't seem to be able to accommodate children, unsurprisingly. We are located in Vicenza.

Holly
Vicenza town hall is offering free Italian courses for foreigners. They began on October 3rd.

Info and a phone number can be found on your comune website here :

http://www.comune.vicenza.it/albo/ma...tter.php/67594
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by beesknees369
Hi!

Holly
Unusual. Language schools will usually offer private lessons tailored to your needs.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

beesknees369 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's possible I haven't asked the right questions!

And thanks, Lorna, for the link. I did see that the other day. I was hoping to find something that starts around the beginning of November, but I'll keep checking that site.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Tom_Essex is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone tried learning Italian on a CD ? Essentially, due to my work, I dont have a consistent amount of time to attend lessons, but do spend about 2 hours each day in the car driving and changing radio stations every 10 seconds because they are playing 80s or 90s English tat (this time could be much better spent)

, I've been here for 5 months now so dont really want to get a beginners book , just was curious to see if anyone had had a really good experience with anything in particular,

Thanks

Tom
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:25 am

Never used any myself but I think a lot of people like Rosetta Stone.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Try listening to Isoradio in the car. 103.3 FM. Road traffic news, with occasional bulletins in English. Music's not bad, and it may help you to improve your Italian listening to the traffic and weather reports.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.