Student looking to move to Italy

Student looking to move to Italy

Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:53 am
DWE
Forum Regular

DWE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student looking to move to Italy

Hey all, I'm new to the forum!

I'm 18, and a university student in the UK. When I finish my degree in 3 years time I'd love to move to Italy, to live and work there. I love the UK, but I'd also really enjoy experiencing other cultures etc. My grasp of Italian is rather basic but I have at least 3 years in which to improve it.

So, any advice that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Grazie!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Student looking to move to Italy

My biggest piece of advice is to learn the language. There are many places here, even big cities where you will struggle to find people who speak English.

I'm not really sure about the more bureaucratic side of things, and I guess it depends on what you plan to do whist you are here and how long you are going to be here. But I've found that the biggest stumbling block is language or my lack of good Italian.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi DWE Good for you - Italy is a great place to live. Are you studying Italian or languages at uni? With 3 years to go, you've got the time to look at where you might want to live - big city, small village, north, south etc, and you could also check out which companies have sites in both the UK and Italy - the possibility then would be an internal transfer
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:56 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.
Jobs are not plentiful here so think about what you could do here. Many people began here with a TEFL certificate and taught in private schools until their Italian was good enough to move onto a different job.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:18 pm
DWE
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

No, I'm not studying Italian or other languages at uni', I'm a biology student. As you said, I have 3 years at least to improve my Italian to a reasonable standard.

I'd be happy to live wherever I can find work in my field. As an EU citizen I have the right to live and work in Italy without loads of bureaucracy, right?

Grazie!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWE
Thanks for the replies guys.

No, I'm not studying Italian or other languages at uni', I'm a biology student. As you said, I have 3 years at least to improve my Italian to a reasonable standard.

I'd be happy to live wherever I can find work in my field. As an EU citizen I have the right to live and work in Italy without loads of bureaucracy, right?

Grazie!
Well you don't need a visa or a work permit but as for the rest of the red tape ....

Get a job in the UK first and then have them transfer you to an Italian branch.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DWE
As an EU citizen I have the right to live and work in Italy without loads of bureaucracy, right?
Yes you have the right to live and work in Italy . . . however Italy reserves the right to hit you with loads and loads of bureaucray at every turn and that's where your determination and patience will come in
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:29 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWE
Hey all, I'm new to the forum!

I'm 18, and a university student in the UK. When I finish my degree in 3 years time I'd love to move to Italy, to live and work there. I love the UK, but I'd also really enjoy experiencing other cultures etc. My grasp of Italian is rather basic but I have at least 3 years in which to improve it.

So, any advice that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Grazie!
Welcome! Just 2 bits of advice. Learn Italian. Then learn more. It's a myth that all Italian's speak English. What sort of degree are you doing?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:43 pm
DWE
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100
Welcome! Just 2 bits of advice. Learn Italian. Then learn more. It's a myth that all Italian's speak English. What sort of degree are you doing?
Ha ha, cheers guys. I'll look into what you suggested.

And 37100, I study biology.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look on prospects.ac.uk it has a list of places you can look for jobs in Italy. There seem to be a lot of chemical/biological/electrical engineer jobs at the mo. Of course when you graduate that could all be different. I graduated 5 years ago in fine art, no hope whatsoever of a graduate job for me! Unless I do marketing, yuck!
You can also look at EURES, the "european job mobility portal" for companies with vacancies in Italy. From my own desperate searching most of the jobs seem to be in au pair-ing or teaching English. I did that for 4 years in Japan and don't really want to again, but I don't have much choice with my savings rapidly depleting.
Anyway, good luck with it all! At least you're planning well in advance, unlike me!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:42 pm
DWE
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaniL
If you look on prospects.ac.uk it has a list of places you can look for jobs in Italy. There seem to be a lot of chemical/biological/electrical engineer jobs at the mo. Of course when you graduate that could all be different. I graduated 5 years ago in fine art, no hope whatsoever of a graduate job for me! Unless I do marketing, yuck!
You can also look at EURES, the "european job mobility portal" for companies with vacancies in Italy. From my own desperate searching most of the jobs seem to be in au pair-ing or teaching English. I did that for 4 years in Japan and don't really want to again, but I don't have much choice with my savings rapidly depleting.
Anyway, good luck with it all! At least you're planning well in advance, unlike me!
Thank you! I will continue to learn Italian, hopefully it'll be good enough by the time I graduate. If not, well there's plenty of time for me.

Which regions would be the best for me to go to, in your opinion? I love the look of Florence and Abruzzo.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Florence and it's beautiful, but expensive. You can get a cheaper flat on the outskirts but the supermarkets will cost more tha in the UK (I think that's all over Italy though). I would say really go wherever you can get work! If you line up a job 1st and it's not the exact place you want to live you can travel around Italy quite easily, the trains go evreywhere and if you drive that's even better.
When you're learning Italian I recommend taking a class or finding an italian to talk to. I learned alone and can read and write ok but struggle with listening. I've found most people don't seem to understand you need them to slow down a bit if you're not native. It might be worth checking at your uni if they do any classes, or the international student society might have some Italians willing to help you.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
DWE
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaniL
I live in Florence and it's beautiful, but expensive. You can get a cheaper flat on the outskirts but the supermarkets will cost more tha in the UK (I think that's all over Italy though). I would say really go wherever you can get work! If you line up a job 1st and it's not the exact place you want to live you can travel around Italy quite easily, the trains go evreywhere and if you drive that's even better.
When you're learning Italian I recommend taking a class or finding an italian to talk to. I learned alone and can read and write ok but struggle with listening. I've found most people don't seem to understand you need them to slow down a bit if you're not native. It might be worth checking at your uni if they do any classes, or the international student society might have some Italians willing to help you.
Thanks again, I'll look into the IS and see if anyone's there to help! And yeah, I was also looking at taking a class in the Summer, when I've got nothing else to do ha ha! Bit busy at the moment with exams for learning Italian, but that will come back once they're over.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:28 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Just get yrself an Italian bird or boy if you like and you'll soon be coming along nicely.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by duffer
Just get yrself an Italian bird or boy if you like and you'll soon be coming along nicely.
why didnt i think of that? best advice yet.
just make sure they are loaded and 'dolce vita'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.