Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Stray cat dilemma!

Stray cat dilemma!

Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stray cat dilemma!

Does anyone know what we can do with 'our' stray cat??? It turned up about a year ago, very thin, and we started to feed it. It is now fat and fluffy but we are moving back to the UK and cannot take it. I think it is female and I doubt whether it has had any vaccinations. It lives outside and is quite friendly and I really do not want to drive away and leave it but we can't take it either. I have asked various people about cat sanctuaries etc but they all just shrug! We live in the middle of the country (but 20 mins from Florence). Any help appreciated!! Thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice
Default Re: Stray cat dilemma!

Hi Sarah,

We had a "garden cat" named Piero who was covered in ticks and lice, very scrawny and terrified of our feet, when we first arrived in our house (also about 20 minutes from Florence). When we left 2 years later he was a fat cat who would come sprinting when called and was not scared of us at all.

We left him to his life on the hill, anything else would be cruel, we thought.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could give you some advice but I have exactly the same problem
We have a little stray who turned up this winter - I think its a she - but we have our own pet cat who is very old and wouldnt take kindly to this new one -(he's already had a hissy fit when he saw her at the window !) so like yours she lives outside in our front garden. I really dont know what to suggest - maybe go to some of the vets and ask if you can put up a note on their noticeboard or ask them personally if they know someone who would have her ? Vets usually know someone on their client list who maybe keeps cats ? Explain that she's an outdoor cat - you never know.
Good luck and hope you find it a home !
ps: if you go on google it and type in 'gatti randagi toscana' you might find an association that could help.

Last edited by Patty; Jul 5th 2009 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the speedy replies - I had only just finished typing!! I did see a place in the centre of Florence, filled with cats - I believe it is a sort of protection place with some local funding (it is near Piazzale Michelangelo). A little old lady feeds them and there are shelters and food bowls everywhere but I am sure it would freak out our moggy. She is very much on her own here with no traffic and a very quiet life. It was an interesting perspective that the pp said that they left her to her life on the hill - anything else would seem cruel. Maybe I am thinking too much like a human and not a cat! There are plenty of rabbits to eat etc but what about water?? Good idea about the vets too - thx.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:54 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

There is a cat / dog home in Florence and I'm sure probably one closer to you.
http://firenze.kijiji.it/f-Animali-e...0QQCatIdZ30090
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lorna - I will look into it.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:17 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Come on guys. Cats can survive anywhere...there um cats. You know those whiley, clever, stay on my own type animals. They are able to survive. They're thin cos they got worms not cos there starving. I beleive in not interveining. They were there before you came and they will be there when you go, and probably find some other smu er person to care for them. They are clever and able. Let them get on with what they do best...Living wild on a hill.
P.S I love cats. I have a stray and 4 kittens in my back garden!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:10 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

When my OH goes to Spain he shares a place with his business partner. So far there are 7 strays being cared for by her. They are all taken to the vets, spayed, castrated, etc. and then looked after back at the house. She just can't say no! They do come and go, but on a regular basis there are 7!!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:24 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it round to mine...
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:13 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

What, so you can feed it to the local dogs and make gloves out of it???
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:24 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

No, they eat cats Vicenza way!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:27 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of eating strange things. I doubt they really eat cats in Vicenza but my mil says that they used to eat guinea pigs Turin way!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Do you think our local Chinese Takeaway would take it??!! It could keep the mice down ...
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:32 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

No seriously, bring it round mine, I've got a brand spanking new high powered pump jet long range water rifle, I'll give that thing a wash and break it's bones at the same time - makes it easier to skin them alive as they normally wriggle around... Hehehe... I hate cats... My local stray is too fast and agile for my car.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:37 am
Concierge

You're horrible! Cats are lovely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.