Squash!

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

magnad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squash!

Call me childish, but I really can't live without it! And i've looked in pretty much every supermarket in this town and I can't see it anywhere. Does anybody else have the same addiction or knows where I can get my hands on some? Ta!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Squash!

I have not seen squash here either, so that is why we grow our own in the garden.

I do not know which part of Italy you live in, but here in Rome there is a market where people have found many exotic things, international food, parsnips, etc and who knows, they might sell squash as well.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:13 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

r u on about the ugly looking pumpkin-like vegatable or the horrible sickly sweet cordial drink mix?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gosh, I forgot about the drink. When I saw the title, the first thing that came to my mind was-where to play squash.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:48 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I assumed Zucca too until duffer said that!!

Let's now assume you mean the drink! ( I can get both the drink and the food here... ) You want to look for the brand Fabbri - they are the main producers of cordials here. They are nothing like Robinson's or any of those brands - closest is the normal sugarey Ribena, rather than the low sugar. The flavours will not be what you are used to - mint, barley (orzo), lemon, blueberry, cherry etc. no orange or blackcurrant and the barley is plain not flavoured! They are very concentrated so don't let the high price put you off. Some of the supermarkets do their own brands but they tend to be lemon and mint for some reason - just odd to us I suppose!! They are a big brand so you should be able to find them. Oh, they are also seasonal at my supermarkets so they disappear in winter apart from the mint flavour!! I can still get them in speciality shops in winter but they cost twice what they should.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:44 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnad
Call me childish, but I really can't live without it! And i've looked in pretty much every supermarket in this town and I can't see it anywhere. Does anybody else have the same addiction or knows where I can get my hands on some? Ta!
No squash except very rarely, in the odd shop. My lot love the stuff and there is just nothing as crappy on sale here.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I must admit if we're talking about the drink, the best berry-like cordial is found in the IKEA food section. There is a red one that is berry flavoured and an elderflower one. They are syrups too so you need less than Robinsons for example. I get them in the summer for my kids as a treat. I buy Ribena in the UK and bring it back. I also brought some Bottle Green syrup when I went back at xmas which was easier to pack as it was in one of those little squeezy bottles that Branston pickle is now packed in. Hth.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

magnad is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops I assumed we were all on the same level! Anyways I mean the horrible childlike drink. Robinsons, ribena etc etc.

Thanks for the advice testarossa, i'll keep an eye out! indiebird, is that the ikea restaurant? I'd like to buy a whole bottle of the stuff instead of just a glass I know they have similar things in America and in Croatia so it's a surprise it's hard to get.

Guess I'll have to pack that in my suitcase next time, along with listerine (I'm not going to pay €7-8 for a bottle!)

I live about an hour away from Bologna by train btw
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Nope not in the restaurant!! In the food part (normally after you've gone through the tills with your flatpack furniture. I haven't got a bottle so I cannot tell you what it's called but it is in glass bottles nothing like Ribena bottles...
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:24 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Saft Flader. It's the only thing my mum drinks so I bought here one for xmas, but then she didn't come so it's sitting pretty in our kitchen.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
Saft Flader. It's the only thing my mum drinks so I bought here one for xmas, but then she didn't come so it's sitting pretty in our kitchen.
Yup.... that sounds familiar.....
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:29 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

A cheapo supermarket near me sells a brand of fruit juice by PFANNER. It's not squash though but they have lovely juices.

I've seen it in a couple of other Italian supermarkets but none as cheap as this discount place.

It's not squash but it is the only brand I've found here that sells flavours other than the typical pera, albicocca, mela..... most of the typical Italian ones which I find too thick and gungy and sludgy

This Pfanner company does lemon and lime. green apple, orange, ace, fruits of the forest (like Ribena), blueberry and recently they were doing in smaller cartons cranberry and even pomegranate.

Not sure if they have locked on to the UK phase of using cranberry and pomegranate.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

the co-op near my house sells it all year round, in the winter it's next to the spirits and soda water - obviously it's just a mixer here. There is an orange one but never seen blackcurrant.
If you're desperate you can order it from British corner shop.