speed cameras

Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default speed cameras

OK so I got caught by a speed camera doing 78 in a 50.... my own fault and I missed the road sign that says it's 50, co's Italian road signs are the most confusing in Europe! Its not even in a town, it's on a bypass for a town!

However, I just got the notice this morning and the offence was in October! now I know back in the UK they have 5 weeks to get you an NIP,(notice of intended prosecution) does anyone know how it works here.?

I really think the system is a bit of a mess if it takes them 5 months to get you the fine! anyone else been here and experienced this, any lawyers out there who know traffic law.?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:52 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: speed cameras

I've heard of people in Florence getting them after even longer periods than this and still having to pay them, sorry!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I had to go to the embassy in Florance and went down a street that was permit holders only I think, to be hoest I do not know i was just following the traffic.

If anyone knows Florence it's the bridge right next to the Embassy. its a narrow street leading up to the bridge and then its a left and the embassy is on the right...

I got the fine 80 euros about 2-3 months later did not even remember anything about it:

I rang them up and they said "well you did it didn't you, why should we let you off" no answer really....one good thing you could pay on line...

the best was when my car had UK plates HAAAAA that was nice parked where i wanted..never got a ticket..Vigili could not be bothered with papare work
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:26 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea. Maybe I should put UK plates on my car!
Nuovaletta - How confusing can a speed limit sign be? 78 in a 50 zone? Just pay the fine!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice

You have a set time to pay the fine and if not done so the fine goes up and up and up, so like Duffer says just pay it and be done with it.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

How much is the fine ?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:01 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a lot more than you would get in the UK where it would be £60 to £80 and maybe points with a discount for early pymt.
I know the fine for getting caught using yr mobile whilst driving is several hundred euro.
Lorna, do you know if the cameras used in Vicenza are used both for monitoring red light jumping and manually monitored for using yr mobile? Because I see a lot CCTV type cameras monitoring traffic lights rather than the normal type.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmmm, I have no issue paying the fine, all 160 euro! the issue I have is how long it takes to get the NIP to you, by all accounts they have 6 months!
As for the signage NOT being confusing, I really need to go take a picture of it, it starts with a 50 sign, then a 70 pops up and somewhere after that another 50 appears...

Unlike most Italian drivers I try to stay within the limit in towns and villages, but as I said this a by-pass around a village, so a 50 limit doesn't make much sense.. hence the 78 in a 50.

The fine is way more than it would have been in blighty, it would have been 3 points and £60 there. But then I would have been paying added premium for insurance for the next 4 years until the points expired.

Several hundred euros for moble phone use! bloody hell if they ever enforced that one they could solve the national debt!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:53 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
I think it would be a lot more than you would get in the UK where it would be £60 to £80 and maybe points with a discount for early pymt.
I know the fine for getting caught using yr mobile whilst driving is several hundred euro.
Lorna, do you know if the cameras used in Vicenza are used both for monitoring red light jumping and manually monitored for using yr mobile? Because I see a lot CCTV type cameras monitoring traffic lights rather than the normal type.
Duffer,

There are a couple of new cameras attatched to trafic lights where I live. They are near schools and I was given to understand that they are not cameras in the sense that you mean but they are more like speed radars.

If you are going too fast the traffic light automatically changes to red making you stop and everyone behind you stop or slow down until it's green again.

This page from the polizia di stato tells you where the speed cameras are.

http://www.poliziadistato.it/articol...utor_dove_sono
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:58 am

This statement is interesting ...................

N.B. Sulle autostrade di: Trentino Alto Adige, Umbria, Basilicata, Calabria e Sicilia non sono installati misuratori di velocità in postazioni fisse.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:52 am
Pull my finger

It's not really that interesting...
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:58 am

Well it is if you check out the Veneto and see how many fixed speed camers there are here compared to none at all in Umbria, Calabria etc. Why is that? I don't suppose they drive any better down there.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

randomguy will become famous soon enough

Having seen them drive in calabria NO they dont drive any better but havin just put my car backwards into a wall I really can't comment!

Havn't seen any speed cameras there yet nor much in the way of police either for that matter.

Re the fine though best to just put your hands up and pay
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:28 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Well it is if you check out the Veneto and see how many fixed speed camers there are here compared to none at all in Umbria, Calabria etc. Why is that? I don't suppose they drive any better down there.
Your speed cameras are BIG news here in Tuscany!! They make front page news and double spreads inside - seriously! It looks like the Veneto was being watched by all the other regions to see how it worked for them. Seems it was successful so they are going to start introducing them in other regions, but it is up to each area whether they do or not from what I could gather.