Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

So....what do you really miss

So....what do you really miss

Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:07 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default So....what do you really miss

Yeh, as I said what do you really miss in Blighty?
Would you ever return? Why?
Ernie
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So....what do you really miss

Only to live in London. Said it before on another post, but once my kids have left home, if I still have my marbles, I know it would be a great place to live, even with the crap weather. We had a flat near tower bridge for a short while, I loved it.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Variety of shops (food/clothes etc)
(including pleasant shop assistants...)

Decent/well organised schools and universities
GOOD television
proper jobs (and not co.co.co)
pubs / quiz nights
tasty cheese

I'll let someone else continue.....
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

definately nice shop assistants and my friends mainly. The food is sometimes a big issue when I am annoyed with living here and I feel homesick but I also like most Italian food, you just have to accept it is not comparable to the tastes you've grown up with; however I still reckon 'proper' baking is best done by me in the UK with a good oven. I suppose because we are here due to hubbie's job and we didn't really choose this life I know I will be going back to the UK at some point. Me and dh are just at the wrong age to have been able to afford a house in the UK and this for us is mainly an exercise in saving as much money as we can in our 'house fund' I want to move back before kids hit GCSE age and must admit I would love to live in London too, but don't see it happening tbh!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

ooops I forgot ..........BOOTS
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

I've been back in England for nearly a year now, and the Italian stuff I miss is...... the coffee bars, the HUGE peppers, schiaciatta (sp?), buying wine by the 5 litre from the vineyards, the fun to be had driving, the beaches (Italian beaches are the most fun in the world), the ice cream, shopping centres having free bouncy castles, the April and May weather, porchetta, carciofi, the hand signals whilst speaking, the cyclists with umbrellas and cigarettes, the fashions of the teens, not getting out of the car to get petrol, the little lizards who hid behide the shutters, the pop music. *all nostalgic now*