Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

sick of being a Billy No-Mates

sick of being a Billy No-Mates

Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sick of being a Billy No-Mates

So I'm finding it impossible to meet people in Rome - obviously it doesn't help that I know bugger-all Italian and work a lot; this I get. There's all these ace clubs and bars but I don't want to go alone and I'm getting bored of sitting in front of my computer getting drunk alone every night.

Obviously this is a pathetic whiney thread but how did everyone else manage to make friends when they came over and how long did it take you?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:26 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sick of being a Billy No-Mates

I had kids so they were an in for a lot of things. Even so Florence has free lectures, concerts etc that you could go to just to start mixing with people. Lectures on art etc. may not be your thing but they normally involve hanging around after and chatting to people - what about the British School in Rome, I think they run stuff?? Or go on a tour of somewhere that's aimed at English speakers - you may run into a few people that live there on them. I think we told you about the Pink Italy forum already?? Clare who runs it lives in Rome and seems a sociable sort. There's a listings paper in English for Rome too, I don't know it's name but you might find something on google? That should attract English speakers to the events listed. Otherwise, bite the bullet and get to a bar!! Take a book if necessary or your i-pod. Going to a bar by yourself as a female isn't as odd as it is in the UK - what have you to lose by trying it?!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

you're right, of course you're right. I suppose I'm just having a whinge really - everyone I've met is either older with a family and kids or younger with an internship full of other international students to hang out with.

As you say, I'll bite the bullet and just do stuff alone..
Cheers for responding
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

mikeymus is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a single guy whilst in Italy.
I met loads of people.

you ever tried volunteering at the english schools?
find a local restuarant, eat there often. soon you'll be a regular and meet other locals.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

I'm working at an English school, my colleagues are very nice they've just buggered off home to the US of A for Xmas. On top of which, they're not into getting stupidly drunk, going to dodgy rock clubs and so on like I am so it would just be nice to meet people who are.

I think the 'meeting the locals' thing just comes down to the fact I don't speak Italian very well yet. Sigh. Also I work too many hours to volunteer but it's a good idea. Ta.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMonkey
you're right, of course you're right. I suppose I'm just having a whinge really - everyone I've met is either older with a family and kids or younger with an internship full of other international students to hang out with.

As you say, I'll bite the bullet and just do stuff alone..
Cheers for responding
I don't know how old you are, but you will get to the point where the age thing isn't even relevant - if you can have a laugh, find a few points in common it won't matter! I have friends younger and older than me by 15 years. Plus, as an oldie with a family we love having young, single friends we can use as an excuse for a night out without the family in tow!!! Find one you like and ask, you might be surprised!!!

Yeah the buggering off to the US, UK or even Oz for Christmas is a pisser, especially if you are here on your tod. Can you not go back to the UK yourself?? We don't but alot on here do.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

maybe you should learn the local language.

that would only make sense, even attempting a night course would open doors for you.
surely, no one would expect and Italian speaker to come to the Uk and complain about not meeting people because he can't speak english.

meet some Italian guy, smile....be friendly.
being friendly is a universal language.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

I AM learning, just not there yet and it wasn't a complaint, it was a whinge. So there.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:04 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by MrsMonkey
I AM learning, just not there yet and it wasn't a complaint, it was a whinge. So there.
4 years on and my daughter's teacher is asking me why I don't speak Italian yet!!! Don't fret it, it will come if you are mixing with Italians on a regular basis!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Awwww, fanks! I'm certainly doing a lot better at it than I was at evening classes in the UK
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

try this:

find the foreign consulates in Rome, they usually have events. pick a country that speaks english...(Oz or USA), tell them that you're really into their country and culture. ask to be put on their email list, they usually have an expat list for gatherings.

instant friends. and alot of freebies. (seriously)

try different countries and consulates. try EU consulates, the EU is a gravy train. they love hosting wine n cheese events. and they're all free!

work your way down the gravy train. instant friends, free events....
meet some nice diplomat.

that's how I met my wife.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
4 years on and my daughter's teacher is asking me why I don't speak Italian yet!!! Don't fret it, it will come if you are mixing with Italians on a regular basis!
My wife asks me the same, 5 years married and 2 1/2 years here
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm also in Rome ...... I can send you to the link to a group that meets regularly. It's a mix of ages and professions so it may be interesting for you ...http://www.expatslivinginrome.com/default.html
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

A sudent told me he bes way to learn Italian is to get an Italian boyfriend...Shame I'm already married to a Scottish bloke
It does seem to be true though, all the women I know with Italian hubbies are pretty fluent.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I can vouch for DaniL's theory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.