Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

sicily by train

sicily by train

Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default sicily by train

hi,we are thinking of a 4 or 5 day break in sicily this year.we looked at train fares from here to palermo which is the farthest away and it is only 200 euro return for 2 of us.can anyone recommend a route or itinery taking in the best scenic and historical places,mount etna being a must on our bucket list,thanks for any future help,brian.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sicily by train

Hi Brian - trains are very slow and infrequent in Sicily - there are no double tracks yet (the first one is being built from Palermo to Cefalu) - The bus services which are privately run are much more frequent, cheap and fast and in my experience very punctual. The bus timetables are on the internet
If you are coming from Calabria you will be arriving at Messina so you could theoretically do a round trip by train Messina Cefalu Palermo Agrigento Ragusa Siracusa -Catania -Taormina -Messina which would take in a lot of nice places. There is a famous one track train that circles Etna called the Circumetnea. Trip advisor has masses of information about trips to Sicily with lots of useful if somewhat contradictory opinions
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi nick,thanks for that.calabria has mainly a 1 track system too,typifies the lack of infrustructure in the south.i will have to start doing my homework now and sort out an itinery,hotels etc,any input from anyone else would be appreciated,cheers brian.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Beasty is an unknown quantity at this point

I like riding the train in Sicily, if you are not in a hurry its low cost, plenty space and I generally find it relaxing..

Sure they do not run like the Tube might in London, but who has to get somewhere that urgently here? Not me..

Trains i have found start off on time in the morning and you can rely on them getting progressively later through the day, as the single line causes issues.. without fail you can expect a train due at 9pm to be at 920pm... I am mastering the art of waiting and not caring a train is not arriving at the scheduled time.

Taken the train from Acireale to Augusta many times and also from Giarre to Acireale a good few, it is a pleasant way to go IMO.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I love travelling by train, as long as you dont expect to be in a certain place at a certain time. Naples Catania is treated as the worst of the lot. IT isn't, and is a great way to come to Sicily at least once in your life.
Once in Sicily things get worse. There are tracts of line which are shut and have bus connections, and some which dont run virtually at all. The rail service is cutting all services to show there is no demand which means they can shut the lines - all a bit Beeching. But there are stretches which are beautiful The Pozzallo to Ragusa line is unique, especially approaching Ragusa with a spiral hill climb which is one of the engineering feats done in 'days of yore' that seems impossible. Trying to get from Ragusa to Agrigento is very challenging - and its easier on the bus.
The Circumetnea is great - once in your life. It is the slowest train ever invented.
Dont use trains if you have a connection, you will miss it.
Dont expect even on the main lines to arrive on time - the Naples Siracusa is usally 2 hours late.
Bear in mind that stations are mainly out oftown - often a long way out of town, being built below the town and near to the local aristocrats place.,
Left luggage doesnt really exist.

But its a great way to see the island.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

A long time since i've ridden the trains in Sicily - have done Naples to Palermo - but will make it a priority modicasa to ride the ragusa line you mention - have vague memories of having seen a pic. But got to ask - if some of the trains are so consistently late, including the two hours one you mention, why don't they just retimetable? Am aware that this is maybe a daft naive question.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Beasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Logic is not applicable

I was at a meeting to discuss culture in Acireale, I asked what was on the Agenda, what is being discussed?

ER, THAT IS A GREAT IDEA

We just meet and and speak for 3 hours
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

If you're interested in literature this might have been interesting

Treno storico letterario del Kaos, sulla ferrovia degli scrittori

I wonder if they're going to do another one.

And even if you aren't particularly interested in literature, you may find the agency they mention useful, in the sense that it's used to organising train tours.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow some great information here - I've often read elsewhere on the net that train travel is not advised or reliable in Sicily and buses are better, but I didn't know why. Now it all makes sense. I'm also making a note to travel the suggested lines - thanks for all those who posted tips. As for the OP, 4 to 5 days is hard to fit everything in so perhaps concentrate on a few, rather than rushing around. Also be aware not everywhere is open at lunchtime - I can't remember why (and hopefully someone on here will know why) but one lunchtime in Palermo we struggled to find anywhere open to eat at a café or restaurant. It was fine other days. Perhaps there was a 'closed' day of the week?

I remember catching the train from near isolle delle Femmine (cute place by the sea - restaurants and bars open though not many) into Palermo. I think the train was late so that makes sense. If at Isole delle Femmine you face the sea and turn left, walk along the seafront, not only is it a lovely walk if its sunny - you will pass a big cemetery where someone infamous (possibly Corleone) is buried -then keep walking and you come into Capaci - a tiny little seaside village - it has a railway station - bars and bakeries and a few hotels with restaurants - look around and see women letting their baskets down from their balconies (though you can probably see that in many places). Not a lot to see but small and cute. But with 4 to 5 days you might want to focus on bigger places.

Let us know how you got on!

Last edited by MrsTeapot; Jan 24th 2015 at 11:15 am.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

hi,thanks mrs t and everyone else for info,cheers brian.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Was in Palermo station yesterday sheltering from the rain and noticed that the Roma Palermo was only 30 minutes late so things are improving. Seems to take 5-6 h to Lamezia so it might be a nice trip