Sicily

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:55 am
Just Joined

madrelingue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sicily

Would like to know if any of you are living in Sicily as I am based in Sicily at the moment.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicily

hello and welcome to the forum.

If you read this thread you'll see we have some members who live in Sicily.
(Just ignore the bits about creating a sub-forum.)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735692
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
hello and welcome to the forum.

If you read this thread you'll see we have some members who live in Sicily.
(Just ignore the bits about creating a sub-forum.)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735692
LOL, so no sub forum then.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by madrelingue
Would like to know if any of you are living in Sicily as I am based in Sicily at the moment.
I`m not, sorry, but would love to hear your impressions, MrJemima wants to live there, eventually!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

milazzo06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, welcome to Sicily. Yes, there's a few of us here.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jemima55
I`m not, sorry, but would love to hear your impressions, MrJemima wants to live there, eventually!
I love it here, I am in Niscemi. Its not difficult to live here but then I am used to Africa, lived there for the last 12 years.

People are friendly, the food is very good and its relatively cheap to live. The difficult thing is finding work at the moment with the economic crisis hitting hard.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here, I am in Niscemi. Its not difficult to live here but then I am used to Africa, lived there for the last 12 years.

People are friendly, the food is very good and its relatively cheap to live. The difficult thing is finding work at the moment with the economic crisis hitting hard.
Sweetheart, work is very hard to find even in the so called more economic North. If you like where you are and can afford to stay there then go for it.
When Italy works ...... it's lovely.
It has got harder for lots and lots of people which is a shame but life stinks sometimes. Some people with the dream of la dolce vita have had to pack it up - others like myself have learnt to tighten the belt a little bit.

Buona fortuna e tante cose belle xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

milazzo06 is an unknown quantity at this point

I fear Lorna's right about the work front. You have to be both patient and resourceful and prepared for setbacks. But this forum is a great source of advice (I wish I'd found it 10 years ago). Read through the past posts and get some ideas to see what others have done - and equally, where they have struggled.

I once met a guy (admittedly half-italian) who was working in Agrigento/Lampedusa for the police as a translator(?) for refugees arriving in Lampedusa. If you speak French/Arabic or any African languages, you might be in demand. It's just a thought (though I have to admit... I have no idea how you'd go about finding such a job).
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies, I guess I need to search and be a little more creative on the work search. If anyone hears of anything I would appreciate if you could let me know.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sweetheart, work is very hard to find even in the so called more economic North. If you like where you are and can afford to stay there then go for it.
When Italy works ...... it's lovely.
It has got harder for lots and lots of people which is a shame but life stinks sometimes. Some people with the dream of la dolce vita have had to pack it up - others like myself have learnt to tighten the belt a little bit.

Buona fortuna e tante cose belle xxx
Grazie, tu sai molto gentile.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

I'm in Sicily!!! Messina area!!!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your replies, I guess I need to search and be a little more creative on the work search. If anyone hears of anything I would appreciate if you could let me know.
Hi, good luck with searching for a job. It is also difficult in the North.

I have had 3 temporary jobs and now luckily full time work. I never saw any of the jobs advertised I managed to be offered the jobs because I told everyone I met that I needed work and that I was willing and able to do most things.

I worked for a landscape gardener laying lawns, and as a gardener for two girls who cultivated a large plot of land. In the UK the only gardening experience I had was running the flymo over the back lawn. I met the girls and the landscaper at different sagras and just asked if they needed any extra help. The builder I laboured for was the landlord of the house we used to rent. He was complaining that he was working too hard, Bingo.

My present employment was offered to me by a chap who wanted to improve his English. I offered to meet him once a week in a bar and just chat. The result was we set a company up between us to buy and sell industrial pumps.

I haven't written this to brag, but just to say it is possible. My Italian is appalling but I did add I need work to my limited vocabulary.

I don't think the English go around asking their friends neighbours or complete strangers if they need an extra employee. But when in Rome...

Best of luck
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Hi, good luck with searching for a job. It is also difficult in the North.

I have had 3 temporary jobs and now luckily full time work. I never saw any of the jobs advertised I managed to be offered the jobs because I told everyone I met that I needed work and that I was willing and able to do most things.

I worked for a landscape gardener laying lawns, and as a gardener for two girls who cultivated a large plot of land. In the UK the only gardening experience I had was running the flymo over the back lawn. I met the girls and the landscaper at different sagras and just asked if they needed any extra help. The builder I laboured for was the landlord of the house we used to rent. He was complaining that he was working too hard, Bingo.

My present employment was offered to me by a chap who wanted to improve his English. I offered to meet him once a week in a bar and just chat. The result was we set a company up between us to buy and sell industrial pumps.

I haven't written this to brag, but just to say it is possible. My Italian is appalling but I did add I need work to my limited vocabulary.

I don't think the English go around asking their friends neighbours or complete strangers if they need an extra employee. But when in Rome...

Best of luck
Thanks for the tips, I have made biglietto di visitato and I am giving these to everyone. I will make sure to mention that I need work to everyone. I teach English but will do anything (well almost!)
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:27 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I teach English but will do anything (well almost!)
Oh bugger!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
Oh bugger!
Typical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.