Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Old Oct 12th 2019, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Teree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Sorry to talk about the elephant in the room in terms of Brexit.

In terms of a deal or no deal I understand that it won’t be till December 2020 that the changes will take place.

I’m planning to relocate by September next year, just deciding upon the path to take.

Thank you all for the information provided it really has helped.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teree
Sorry to talk about the elephant in the room in terms o Brexit

In terms of a deal or no deal I understand that it won’t be till December 2020 that the changes will take place.
Not sure that's correct. As I understand it the Italian decree that gives some extension of existing EU rights (to live and work and access health care and travel to other countries etc) in the event of a no deal scenario only applies to those people who have obtained residency PRIOR to the exit date. They seem to be saying we will then have until December 2020 to change our current residency to another form of residency, but the exact system for doing this has not yet been agreed.

As far as I know anyone who does not have residency before the exit date will have to apply for residency under some other set of rules...but again it is not clear what those will be. Perhaps the same as that which applies to people from the USA or Japan or anywhere else that is not EU...but maybe Italy has different rules for each different country? I suse you might have to pass an exam to show that you have B1 level Italian for example, but of course nobody knows the answer to this.

And even in the event of a deal that doesn't actually mean that there won't be changes to your rights...again who knows.

There was a message yesterday from the embassy explaining what they know...maybe you will interpret it differently but the key part seems to be this "You can find a summary of the law’s main provisions, including residency and healthcare rights, in our Living in Italyguide and in my last Newsletter. In brief, the No Deal legislation protects the rights of UK nationals registered in Italy before Exit day. UK nationals will have until December 2020 to obtain a non-EU permit. In the interim period, your current EU residency document will remain valid." https://www.facebook.com/notes/ukini...1316/?sfnsn=mo
Old Oct 12th 2019, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Many a non-EU national live in Italy, it just makes things a little more difficult. But looking at the change in the currency markets in the last few days, they seem to think a deal is on the way. However the final state of affairs will probably not be known for years… There is information here on the poliziadistato site on non-EU stays.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

I had interpreted the date of December 2020 incorrectly.

Deal or No Deal I will do what is required to relocate to Italy.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Many a non-EU national live in Italy, it just makes things a little more difficult. But looking at the change in the currency markets in the last few days, they seem to think a deal is on the way. However the final state of affairs will probably not be known for years… There is information here on the poliziadistato site on non-EU stays.

I just read an article in regards to those applying for residency post Brexit. Based upon the potential agreements that could come into play, under the withdrawal agreement it states:

The same would apply to British citizens moving to the EU during the transition period, which is expected to end on 31 December 2020, but it could be extended up to December 2022. This is because freedom of movement would continue to apply during this time.

These agreements apply to British citizens who currently live in Europe, or move there during the transition period, but not to British citizens who want to move after the transition has ended.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Deal or No Deal I will do what is required to relocate to Italy.
Absolutely. It'll be possible, just nobody is quite sure how. Moving abroad is always a combination of push and pull factors. Those that push you away from the uk perhaps. Those that pull you to Italy. The other issues, like the bureaucracy, are just obstacles to be overcome. Just think of the inspiration it'll provide for your writing! 😀 If everything was plain sailing it would be boring! 😀
Old Oct 12th 2019, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C.2s
Absolutely. It'll be possible, just nobody is quite sure how. Moving abroad is always a combination of push and pull factors. Those that push you away from the uk perhaps. Those that pull you to Italy. The other issues, like the bureaucracy, are just obstacles to be overcome. Just think of the inspiration it'll provide for your writing! 😀 If everything was plain sailing it would be boring! 😀
Im sure once all is completed there will be an interesting story to tell.

I have a beautiful 9 month old son, whom I wish to raise in Italy which is the driving force behind my relocation from London.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pica
firstly you need to get a codice fiscale (you can do this easily by applying online). then you need to establish an italian address, then get an italian bank account. you will need proof of an amount of about 6k in your bank account-and finally proof of health insurance.
I believe these last two parts are is incorrect, if you are working. If you can demonstrate that you are either employed (contract) or self-employed (VAT number) then you don't need to obtain private health insurance, you will be covered in the same way as any Italian tax payer would be.
I am self-employed and to obtain insurance I only needed my housing contract (rental agreement) and some ID. I registered by virtue of being VAT-registered.

Of course, if you don't intend to work much, or if you won't earn much, then Pica's advice is spot-on.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

next month.

I have chosen to book an Airbnb for 12 weeks, and look for an rental home during that time. A few days ago I applied online for an Italian National Insurance Number.

I have bank statements that show my self employment income and have a VAT certificate.

So to confirm I must register my presence in Italy to a local police station close to the end of my twelve weeks taking proof of self employment and a rental contract?

On average I work around 30 hours per week via self employment.

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
I believe these last two parts are is incorrect, if you are working. If you can demonstrate that you are either employed (contract) or self-employed (VAT number) then you don't need to obtain private health insurance, you will be covered in the same way as any Italian tax payer would be.
I am self-employed and to obtain insurance I only needed my housing contract (rental agreement) and some ID. I registered by virtue of being VAT-registered.

Of course, if you don't intend to work much, or if you won't earn much, then Pica's advice is spot-on.
Thank you.

I have decided to amend my plans and leave for Italy
Old Oct 15th 2019, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck....
Old Oct 15th 2019, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for providing information.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Good luck with your move. One other thing for your list is to seek out an accountant (as always in Italy, it's best to get a recommendation from someone you trust) and look into the regime forfettario. The name of this scheme changes every so often but the principle remains the same: it's a beneficial tax scheme for the self-employed which means you only pay 15% income tax (on top of your 31% INPS although you then deduct the previous year's INPS contributions when calculating your taxable income the next year) and you don't have to apply VAT to your invoices, making your accounting a lot more straightforward and saving you from having to make VAT payments every quarter. You are also entitled to a fixed deduction of 22% from your taxable income as your expenses. You can't add to this, so if your business expenses are likely to be higher, this might not be for you, however for my work (as a translator) it's very attractive.
The downside is that there is a maximum allowable revenue (not profit!) on this scheme which varies according to your business sector. These caps were raised in the last year to at least €45,000 and are higher for certain professions.
Good luck with your plans!
Old Oct 16th 2019, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Good luck with your move. One other thing for your list is to seek out an accountant (as always in Italy, it's best to get a recommendation from someone you trust) and look into the regime forfettario. The name of this scheme changes every so often but the principle remains the same: it's a beneficial tax scheme for the self-employed which means you only pay 15% income tax (on top of your 31% INPS although you then deduct the previous year's INPS contributions when calculating your taxable income the next year) and you don't have to apply VAT to your invoices, making your accounting a lot more straightforward and saving you from having to make VAT payments every quarter. You are also entitled to a fixed deduction of 22% from your taxable income as your expenses. You can't add to this, so if your business expenses are likely to be higher, this might not be for you, however for my work (as a translator) it's very attractive.
The downside is that there is a maximum allowable revenue (not profit!) on this scheme which varies according to your business sector. These caps were raised in the last year to at least €45,000 and are higher for certain professions.
Good luck with your plans!
Thank you GeorgeYoung for the abundance of information. I have saved this so I can refer to it. As it’s so informative.

Thank you.

I received two EHIC cards today one for myself and my son, could I ask what this will entitle us to in Italy?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 11:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I received two EHIC cards today one for myself and my son, could I ask what this will entitle us to in Italy?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy#healthcare

HTH.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Brilliant. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.