Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

SCRAP A CAR IN ITALY

SCRAP A CAR IN ITALY

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:27 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default SCRAP A CAR IN ITALY

Hi,

I have a UK car that has valid MOT until august 8th...
I have zero time to take it back to the UK and its not really worth the hassle..
Its done well but gf has a course ending 27th July and we need to be back in Scotland on 29th July, its not really practical to take it back

So can i just get it scrapped here?
before we take a plane home rather than drive?

I assume I can do this.. as I have all paperwork and its just a case of telling the dvla

Also.. in the uk you might expect 200 to 300 quid for scrappage any idea if the same applies here?

thanks

p.s. CATANIA is most likely place to have it scrapped if its ok to do
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SCRAP A CAR IN ITALY

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Hi,

I have a UK car that has valid MOT until august 8th...
I have zero time to take it back to the UK and its not really worth the hassle..
Its done well but gf has a course ending 27th July and we need to be back in Scotland on 29th July, its not really practical to take it back

So can i just get it scrapped here?
before we take a plane home rather than drive?

I assume I can do this.. as I have all paperwork and its just a case of telling the dvla

Also.. in the uk you might expect 200 to 300 quid for scrappage any idea if the same applies here?
thanks

p.s. CATANIA is most likely place to have it scrapped if its ok to do
Forget it !!!! In Italy YOU PAY to scrap a car because you have to pay to have the number plate cancelled out or something like that.

Not sure about a UK number plate but I do know that scrapping a car in Italy costs you.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Not too difficult actually. All you need to do as far as UK DVLA is concerned is fill in the bit on the log book that says 'permanently exported' and post it to DVLA at Swansea. To actually scrap the car then all you need to do is find a breakers yard. They may charge you, many do it for free. Just wave the log book at them. They shouldn't have, or cause, a problem.
I was fortunate in that I was actually able to sell my Landrover Discovery a couple of years ago as 'non road legal RH drive' and got some nice cash for it. Still have the number plates in my garden shed. By the way I advertised it on subito.it
ciao for now
'o nonno

Last edited by ononno; Jun 4th 2012 at 7:15 am. Reason: extra info
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

we just scrapped a car and they charged us 50 euros - but we drove it there !
If they have to come and get it the price will probably double.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:06 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks..
Well at least I know its possible as schedule is rather tight at the end of July.

I would drop it off, i found a place and emailed them to ask what the deal was
ta
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:12 pm
Banned

Bump,

I have an alternative...

I am in Sicily if anyone needs a car load of stuff moved to the UK I will do it for whatever my actual costs are..

I will have no luggage with me so you can stuff the car full...

Ideally I would leave End of July but flexible....

Otherwise the car is going to be squashed... like a bug..
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I have scrapped my A class Last month. I rang the UK and asked what to do and All you need to do is put the address of the scrap dealer on the Log book and send it back to the UK..And the scrap dealer gave me 200 euros. Its a myth you having to pay, you ask them how much will they give you, This is the second car I have had to scrap (1st car had Italian plates on) and both times I was given money.....
Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:26 pm
Banned

Thank you for that!

My plans might change again!

Do you have a link for the actual place you used?
I might even drive up if they will pay 200 euro and take a few couple of days going up the East coast!

Plus it means 1 plane not 2

thanks