Reload this Page >

Scrap car advice-rome

Scrap car advice-rome

Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

LuccaGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scrap car advice-rome

Hi,
Does anyone know how hard it is to scrap a UK registered car in Rome?
It is a right side drive, fine little (old) car, but we need to get rid of it.

Is it easy to sell a right drive, UK registered car here? (we never registered it in rome nor got the Italian revisione.) I would just sell it super cheap and tell the new owner to pay for (and do) all the registration work.

thanks for ALL the help
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:29 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrap car advice-rome

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl

Hi,
It is a right side drive, fine little (old) car, but we need to get rid of it.

Is it easy to sell a right drive, UK registered car here? (we never registered it in rome nor got the Italian revisione.) I would just sell it super cheap and tell the new owner to pay for (and do) all the registration work.

thanks for ALL the help
LuccaGirl - I suspect it will be quite complex. I am not sure you will be able to (legally) sell it to someone and get them to "nationalize" it, I think you will have to nationalize the car yourself before being able to sell it under Italian law.

You will need a certificate of residence as the owner before you can start the process to nationalize before scrapping.

I understand scrapping costs range anywhere from 150-350 Euro if the vehicle is of little value.

Other potential crocodile traps include: vehicles must be scrapped by a Salvage Yard that is approved by the Ministry of Transport and if owners scrap their foreign vehicle they are supposedly responsible for all sorts of costs which could include things like: Importation Fees, Value Added Taxes, Disposal Costs, and Ministry of Finance Fees.

Maybe someone else here knows a way round it like getting the car crushed and sending the plates and log book back to UK but selling cheaply or even giving away a car on UK plates is likely to be problematic methinks.

Sorry and hopesome else has a cunning plan that will help you out
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=LuccaGirl;10141716]
Hi,

QUOTE]

Don't know about Rome but I did it in Venice and there should be no difference. Find a scrap yard and tell them that there will be no complications with the UK authoritities; that you simply tear off the bottom section of the log book to notify them that the car is permanently off the road.
In my case the yard typed up two docs: a declaration of transfer of the carcase from me to them, quoting number and chasis no. and including "Dichiaro inoltre di provedere alla radazione depositando targhe e libretto all'officio competente del mio paese.", signed by me; and a second declaring that the car "é stata da noi ritirata per demolizione in data...". The docs were made up ad hoc and, of course, I simply binned the plates.
I have also an invoice for €50 for demolition costs; I don't remember paying but I was probably so relieved to have solved the problem!

Last edited by jiminalpago; Jun 27th 2012 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:46 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jiminalpago;10142586]
Originally Posted by LuccaGirl

Hi,

QUOTE]

Don't know about Rome but I did it in Venice and there should be no difference. Find a scrap yard and tell them that there will be no complications with the UK authoritities; that you simply tear off the bottom section of the log book to notify them that the car is permanently off the road.
In my case the yard typed up two docs: a declaration of transfer of the carcase from me to them, quoting number and chasis no. and including "Dichiaro inoltre di provedere alla radazione depositando targhe e libretto all'officio competente del mio paese.", signed by me; and a second declaring that the car "é stata da noi ritirata per demolizione in data...". The docs were made up ad hoc and, of course, I simply binned the plates.
I have also an invoice for €50 for demolition costs; I don't remember paying but I was probably so relieved to have solved the problem!
I suspec Jim's way is much better than trying to sell it on
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:49 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

I rang the dvla 2 days ago as my car is about to die...

They said.. just send us the section that says permanently exported

I asked if i need to send the section about who scrapped it, and they said, NO if it is permanently exported we do not need that, which makes sense.

If you send them something saying its now exported... then they say ok thank you.. and no longer care what happens to it!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
I rang the dvla 2 days ago as my car is about to die...

They said.. just send us the section that says permanently exported

I asked if i need to send the section about who scrapped it, and they said, NO if it is permanently exported we do not need that, which makes sense.

If you send them something saying its now exported... then they say ok thank you.. and no longer care what happens to it!
Looks like the problem is solved then for OP. I have done the same several times during my time here. Never a problem; even less so in times past when scrappers were also allowed to sell the bits for spares; and actually paid you to take the car away. I did also successfully sell on a Landrover on subito.it as 'non road legal RHD GB plates' vehicle. Got money instead of having to pay a demolition firm. Just sent the V5 bit back to DVLA; end of story.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed - not at all complicated - even in Rome. Find your nearest autodemolizioni, they can even come and get the car for you. The process was similar to that of @jiminalpago.

If you'd still like to try selling it, you could put ads in EYP, Angloinfo Rome, Wanted in Rome etc. Always expats looking for cars and we do have some folks here with RHD. (Lack of registration not a prob. - it can be registered (€50) before transfer of ownership).
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

LuccaGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all that information!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

last year i scrapped a UK car at a place on the Via Ostiensa near ostia Antica. if you haven't done it yet and need more specific indications let me know. it cost nothing and i drove the car there.