Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Jun 12th 2015, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by 37100
Turin cost us €3000 a year plus registration, exam, diploma fees etc. You name it and there was an extra fee for it. Cheaper than the UK, yes, but wages as way lower here.
My son is currently at Turin. Daughter who graduates this summer, wanted to go to San Raffaele which costs € 13.000 a year.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 4:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
My son is currently at Turin. Daughter who graduates this summer, wanted to go to San Raffaele which costs € 13.000 a year.
That's a lot. What's she graduating in?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That's a lot. What's she graduating in?
medicine. After graduation this summer, she has to do a 3 month internship at the hospital (no wages) and next spring, take part in the concorso nazionale for a place for "specializzazione" (she wants to become an A&E surgeon). Last year, 5000 didn't get a place! If she gets one, then she will finally start to earn some money (1800 euros/month).
Old Jun 15th 2015, 10:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
medicine. After graduation this summer, she has to do a 3 month internship at the hospital (no wages) and next spring, take part in the concorso nazionale for a place for "specializzazione" (she wants to become an A&E surgeon). Last year, 5000 didn't get a place! If she gets one, then she will finally start to earn some money (1800 euros/month).
Clever girl. The young Dr who stitched up Alex's leg last year was chatting to me about wanting to go to England and work there for a while. I told him to go and he explained how he'd won a concorso and if he left he wouldn't get back into the hospital and the hierarchy in the place was dreadful etc.

Chloe got a letter from her old middle school yesterday saying that her diploma was ready to be picked up so I've just been to get it now. I can't believe it takes more than a whole year for a school kid to get their leaving certificate/diploma! Did you get anything Mark for your laurea?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 4:10 pm

Alex's English holiday homework book arrived today from Amazon.It. Apart from the cost of 8.40 euro when his English is better than the teacher's .... any guesses as to what N.12 is here? It can't be picture or photo.
Attached Thumbnails Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.-scan.jpg  
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I think what they're looking for Lorna is 'soccer'
(which is nowt to do with house/furniture is it???)
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Patty
I think what they're looking for Lorna is 'soccer'
(which is nowt to do with house/furniture is it???)
Ha ha, love you Patty, that's what other friends said. It's not British though and nowt to do with furniture. Somebody else suggested "corner" which fits as well but isn't exactly furniture.

Amazing isn't it that it takes a whole internet web of friends to still get it wrong? Somebody has just mentioned on FB that it might be POSTER. Duhhhh. Poster. Might have been more obvious with a rock star's face and not football. And how many of my British friends here actually say "wash basin" ? It's a friggin sink !
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

When they go back to school please let us know what word they were 'looking for'..... (I'm still convinced its soccer -it looks like its meant to be a telly to me -but then the people who write these books are probably on another planet anyway !!)

I've got a fantastic book -its soooo bad that my friend and I bought a copy each just for the laughter factor. We were nearly wetting our pants reading it in the supermarket. Its one of these English for kiddies books. Its so terribly bad you wouldn't believe it. I tried to find the e mail of the publishers in Milan but they didn't have one.

Just got back from UK and am full of flu never mind - its raining here in Piemonte so am okay staying in and watching films !!
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Patty
When they go back to school please let us know what word they were 'looking for'..... (I'm still convinced its soccer -it looks like its meant to be a telly to me -but then the people who write these books are probably on another planet anyway !!)

I've got a fantastic book -its soooo bad that my friend and I bought a copy each just for the laughter factor. We were nearly wetting our pants reading it in the supermarket. Its one of these English for kiddies books. Its so terribly bad you wouldn't believe it. I tried to find the e mail of the publishers in Milan but they didn't have one.

Just got back from UK and am full of flu never mind - its raining here in Piemonte so am okay staying in and watching films !!
I wasn't even going to buy the bloody book - too expensive for a few pages but, Alex kept saying, "mum, if the teacher uses the book for the first lessons of school and I don't have it, I'm in big trouble, not you and your principles." Poor kid. Think it might be poster but, English posters in my day were mostly about rock n' roll. Should have bloody imagined that Italian school boy ones would be about football players .... and that's where all the confusion started.

Hope you had a great time in the UK and came back here full of goodies. Sorry about the flu. Some papers say end of August might get nice and warm again. We'll see. I'm stuck here anyway as Chloe has a debito in maths and the big exam Wednesday morning. She's as nervous as anything.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the 'poster' camp. You can see little stickers at the sides.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Ooh golly- you're right. I just enlarged it (my eyesight is getting bad) and I can the little stickers too. Lorna - dont listen to me

ps.maybe my glasses are cloudy ....I'll go rinse them in the wash-basin ha ha ha!!
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

A sink is in the kitchen, innit?
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
A sink is in the kitchen, innit?
A sink is owt you run watter in.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Golly. I had to really enlarge the picture as well to see the sellotape. You can't see it in the tiny original picture in the textbook.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:35 pm

Chloe's extremely nervous about her maths debito exam tomorrow morning so we've just had a little pep talk about stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on and bring out some British 'don't let the bitch teacher get you down and you prove her wrong' attitude.

Fingers crossed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.