Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

School teaching - how does it work?

School teaching - how does it work?

Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough
Default School teaching - how does it work?

Hello, well it’s been a few years since I’ve been in the forum as we moved back to England and never thought I’d ever return, but... I’ve started to reconsider the idea.

when we lived in a Italy, Italian husband was in the navy. In England he is a secondary teacher as he qualified before joining the navy. From what he tells me, it is quite a bit different to the UK to find work in a school, ie you don’t apply for jobs at schools, you go on a list and get sent to a school to build up points. And that there are hundreds of people after teaching jobs. Any enlightenment on this would be welcome as I can’t quite get my head around it.

i recently qualified as a primary teacher (QTS only, no PGCE). Throughout my training, I was told that the PGCE was optional and only really necessary for working abroad - but since searching these boards, I’ve read that the PGCE doesn’t even count in Italy and you have to take a qualification regardless of any UK qualifications you may have. Any enlightenment on this too would be appreciated.

Out of interest, my husband only has the magistrale diploma - no degree, yet in the UK, NARIC looked at his qualifications and awarded him QTS (qualified teacher status). Would it not cut both ways?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:34 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School teaching - how does it work?

Originally Posted by ballerina
Hello, well it’s been a few years since I’ve been in the forum as we moved back to England and never thought I’d ever return, but... I’ve started to reconsider the idea.

when we lived in a Italy, Italian husband was in the navy. In England he is a secondary teacher as he qualified before joining the navy. From what he tells me, it is quite a bit different to the UK to find work in a school, ie you don’t apply for jobs at schools, you go on a list and get sent to a school to build up points. And that there are hundreds of people after teaching jobs. Any enlightenment on this would be welcome as I can’t quite get my head around it.

i recently qualified as a primary teacher (QTS only, no PGCE). Throughout my training, I was told that the PGCE was optional and only really necessary for working abroad - but since searching these boards, I’ve read that the PGCE doesn’t even count in Italy and you have to take a qualification regardless of any UK qualifications you may have. Any enlightenment on this too would be appreciated.

Out of interest, my husband only has the magistrale diploma - no degree, yet in the UK, NARIC looked at his qualifications and awarded him QTS (qualified teacher status). Would it not cut both ways?

Thank you in advance.
Hello there. As far as I know, your husband will need to get his "abilitazione" certificate to be able to teach in Italian state schools and get himself on the teacher list which is called the graduatoria. You on the other hand might be able to get your UK qualification recognised in Italy and the way to do this is register on the MUIR website. I haven't checked out the application form to do this but here is the link for you to use and the 'application' link is about halfway down the page.
https://www.miur.gov.it/riconoscimen...ssione-docente
Old Aug 10th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Just be realistic - there are a million people waiting to be teachers - either supply or permanent.
To teach he would still need to do the equivalent ofthe PGCE year to get the abilitazione to teach in Italian schools.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Hello and thank you for the replies and links.

My husband already has the abilitazione - he qualified as a teacher in 1998 in Italy. He is now in the process of finding out how many points he has and whether his UK teaching experience will count. If he qualified in 1998 are you sure he would still need to do an equivalent of a PGCE? I'm curious (and confused) about this as 1. his Italian qualification was enough for him to not have to do a PGCE in the UK and 2. his sister who qualified a few years before him but never went into teaching got the abilitazione without having to do a PGCE equivalent, i.e. her magistrate diploma was sufficient.

I have had a very interesting and encouraging email from CPQ to advise me about my own teaching qualifications - their advice was more or less to consider whether I'd want to teach primary or secondary - QTS theoretically covers all age groups, whereas they advised in Italy it wouldn't.