S1 and Brexit

Old Oct 17th 2018, 1:54 pm
Giorgio Miles

Cliftonensis is on a distinguished road
Default S1 and Brexit

I have received my S1 form from the UK. I did not intend to register it here in Italy as I already have the normal medical cover as a resident. My concern was that if I register it here they would cancel my Tessa Sanitaria and I would have to apply for the UK card which might not be valid if Brexit goes ahead.

However I have now been told that if I do not register it here and elect to use the NHS in the UK I will be charged 400% of the cost of any treatment. I can only opt to use the NHS if the S1 is registered.

Has anyone registered the S1 in Italy and kept the Tessa Sanitaria or does it get cancelled_

Thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S1 and Brexit

I cannot talk about Italy but you may come under an EU rule. I was informed by Austrian medical aid that as I draw pension from 2 other EU countries I cannot have medical aid from Austria. Acc. to an EU rule no. ??? the country which pays pension has to give cover. Perhaps this applies in your
case.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cliftonensis
I have received my S1 form from the UK. I did not intend to register it here in Italy as I already have the normal medical cover as a resident. My concern was that if I register it here they would cancel my Tessa Sanitaria and I would have to apply for the UK card which might not be valid if Brexit goes ahead.

However I have now been told that if I do not register it here and elect to use the NHS in the UK I will be charged 400% of the cost of any treatment. I can only opt to use the NHS if the S1 is registered.

Has anyone registered the S1 in Italy and kept the Tessa Sanitaria or does it get cancelled_

Thanks.
My husband has been registered at asl in the Brindisi area for over 9 years, got his tessera sanitaria soon after he got residency, however in August this year he got a letter from asl in Brindisi asking to supply the S1 form failure to do so meant not getting health care unless he paid into the system. He supplied the S1 form and things are back to normal , tessera sanitaria and everything he had before. When I first went to talk to the lady at the asl office about this it did seem they are going through people records and where the paperwork is not complete they are chasing people up for it.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 11:35 am
Giorgio Miles

Cliftonensis is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much. I was concerned they would take my Italian card.
I will find the local office and register my S1 next week.