Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency - a hypothetical

Residency - a hypothetical

Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough
Default Residency - a hypothetical

If a British citizen, who resides in Italy, obtains Italian citizenship, would he/she then be able to move to Spain to live without having to have his/her British citizenship annulled(as I believe is the present/imminent situation), as he/she is now a citizen of Italy?
Would/Does one obtaining Italia citizenship have to subsequently reside here? Is Italian law very clear on this?
Old Feb 14th 2018, 11:07 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency - a hypothetical

No, you do not have to renounce you British citizenship. Once you are an Italian citizen, the anagrafe will update your residency. Sometimes you will need a new CdF depending on whether you are here on your single or married name. You don't have to reside here.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers.
I read in the press some months ago that the Spanish Government will force Brit expats, post-Brexit, who wish to live in Spain to choose Spanish citizenship and forego their British.
So if a Brit now living in Italy obtains Italian citizenship, then moves to live in Spain, I was wondering if this person would be able to keep their British citizenship , as they a would be living in Spain as an EU (Italian) citizen.

Last edited by britaly00; Feb 14th 2018 at 12:01 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Not a common question, but I suppose that having dual nationality could mean that going to Spain you just show your Italian passport, and you are an italian - (and just use your British one for the endless queues at Stansted). On that basis the Spanish should have no indication of you being British. Once you are an Italian citizen there is no requirement to stay in the country as far as I know, and in thoery youcan be inscribed in hte AIRE
Old Feb 14th 2018, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. This was my speculation. If one registered in Spain with one's Italian details, the British factor wouldn't have to come into play. As you say, would be useful for flying in to the UK.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britaly00
Thanks. This was my speculation. If one registered in Spain with one's Italian details, the British factor wouldn't have to come into play. As you say, would be useful for flying in to the UK.
I think it's worth reminding people that if you are a UK born British citizen, you never lose your British citizenship or 'right of abode' (unless you are a jihadist!)
'o nonno
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ononno
I think it's worth reminding people that if you are a UK born British citizen, you never lose your British citizenship or 'right of abode' (unless you are a jihadist!)
'o nonno
Seems fair enough. So with Spain, what will be required of Brits by the Spanish govenment - sacrifice of...passport, if not citizenship?
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britaly00
Seems fair enough. So with Spain, what will be required of Brits by the Spanish govenment - sacrifice of...passport, if not citizenship?
Ask in the Spanish forum but I'll doubt you'll get any concrete answers as they have no idea what's going to happen to their status there with Brexshit.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

By law Italian citizens HAVE to register with AIRE if they live outside Italy for more than 12 months

L’Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all’Estero (A.I.R.E.) è stata istituita con legge 27 ottobre 1988, n. 470 e contiene i dati dei cittadini italiani che risiedono all’estero per un periodo superiore ai dodici mesi. Essa è gestita dai Comuni sulla base dei dati e delle informazioni provenienti dalle Rappresentanze consolari all’estero.
L’iscrizione all’A.I.R.E. è un diritto-dovere del cittadino (art. 6 legge 470/1988) e costituisce il presupposto per usufruire di una serie di servizi forniti dalle Rappresentanze consolari all’estero, nonché per l’esercizio di importanti diritti, quali per esempio:

la possibilit� di votare per elezioni politiche e referendum per corrispondenza nel Paese di residenza, e per l'elezione dei rappresentanti italiani al Parlamento Europeo nei seggi istituiti dalla rete diplomatico-consolare nei Paesi appartenenti all'U.E.;
la possibilit� di ottenere il rilascio o rinnovo di documenti di identit� e di viaggio, nonché certificazioni;
la possibilit� di rinnovare la patente di guida (solo in Paesi extra U.E.; per i dettagli consultate la sezione Autoveicoli - Patente di guida).

https://www.esteri.it/mae/it/italian...e_fiscale.html