Residency

Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency

I have an unusual problem now; and hope some experienced hand can advise me. I came to Siracusa as planned on 28 January. I obtained my Codice Fiscale on 10 February and signed a long-term rental contract on an apartment on 21 February. The lease began on 1 March and I'm living there now.

On 22 February, I went to register as a resident, but was told that I had to have my S1 health insurance form first. So I phoned to apply for my S1 form that very day. I was told it would take about three weeks. Nothing arrived. I kept phoning and being told (a) My S1 was approved on 10 March (b) It was just delayed. Finally, on 27 March, the international DWP told me they had made an error in writing down my Italian address; I would have to start all over again, but the form would arrive in about three weeks. I asked: could I pay for it to be sent International Express Mail -- no, that can't be done. I asked: could the DWP phone the Central Forms Office, explain the problem and ask them to expedite my S1 form -- no, that can't be done. I would have to wait up to three weeks. Three and a half weeks later, still nothing has arrived. Now I'm getting worried because on 28 April I will have been 90 days in Italy and, from what I understand, must register as resident or leave the country.

Is that the case? How will the Italian bureaucracy know when I entered the country, since my passport wasn't scanned or stamped at Catania? Could I buy a little more time by saying I arrived on 9 February, the day before I went to get my CF? I've done everything correctly and in plenty of time. As you may gather, I'm very frustrated and angry about the British bureaucrats who just seem not to care. Has anyone else dealt with a similar problem?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency

All sounds very normal Freddy! The DWP have no excuse and should be shot at dawn... However be that as it may, did you formally apply for residency and get a receit of doing so? I think that would be the correct course of action and may well stand you in good sted should the police turn up to turf you out the country... Seriously, I do not think this will happen and (easy said I know) you should relax and get yourself in to the Italian way. Hopefully someone more local will provide you with much better advice, but don't worry all will be okay. By the way there should be nothing stopping DWP at least faxing a copy of any form to you...
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
All sounds very normal Freddy! The DWP have no excuse and should be shot at dawn... However be that as it may, did you formally apply for residency and get a receit of doing so? I think that would be the correct course of action and may well stand you in good sted should the police turn up to turf you out the country... Seriously, I do not think this will happen and (easy said I know) you should relax and get yourself in to the Italian way. Hopefully someone more local will provide you with much better advice, but don't worry all will be okay. By the way there should be nothing stopping DWP at least faxing a copy of any form to you...
You only get a receipt when you apply for residency with all the necessary paperwork. Don't worry Freddie no one will be bothered. Waiting for paperwork is normal here.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

We were here at least 6 months before applying for residency and no-one batted an eyelid.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry. Do as the Sicilians do and go and have a granita. Nobody will come and deport you. Furthermore nobody will ask when you arrived in the country. As far as the anagrafe is concerned you arrived on 1 March (when your contract began).
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point

Crisis averted. My S1 arrived today, simultaneously by fax and mail.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Back in the 1970s a friend of mine had been in Italy for 6 months. He finally went to ask for Permesso di soggiorno (stay permit) but didn't have the courage to lie about how long he'd been in Italy. He said he'd been here since November (it was now May). The bloke in the questura made a face, said "You should have applied within three months!" but then said, "All right, let's say you arrived on the first of April".

Things were more relaxed then, but I don't think you have anything to worry about, Freddy. They can see you're not hiding and that you're doing what's required.