Reload this Page >

Reporting visitors from abroad to the questura

Reporting visitors from abroad to the questura

Old Mar 15th 2022, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Solarcower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reporting visitors from abroad to the questura

Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been asked before. I searched but couldn't find anything.
On the gov.uk website for entry requirements to Italy, it states for visitors:
"Your host must inform the local immigration office (questura) in writing within 48 hours after you arrive at their property. They could be fined if they fail to comply with this Italian immigration law."
In writing...so email would suffice or literally a letter? Has anyone done this? Sounds like a massive hassle. I previously thought it was for Covid reasons, but evidently not.
Basically, do other people do this when visitors come over and if so, is it fine to send a general email to do this? I have no idea who I would contact specifically or if the email would even be read. My visitor will only be here just over 48h.
Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15th 2022, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reporting visitors from abroad to the questura

I do remember reading something like this, but we never followed such and had many a visitor.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If your visitor is from outside the EU then yes you must. If you have a holiday home and rent, then you must use the dedicated website, (alloggiati web) which is all joined up to the comune and the taxman. If they are private guests then in theory you still have to do it directly at the police station, though they wont thank you for it, and in my experience wave you away.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 8:13 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarcower
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been asked before. I searched but couldn't find anything.
On the gov.uk website for entry requirements to Italy, it states for visitors:
"Your host must inform the local immigration office (questura) in writing within 48 hours after you arrive at their property. They could be fined if they fail to comply with this Italian immigration law."
In writing...so email would suffice or literally a letter? Has anyone done this? Sounds like a massive hassle. I previously thought it was for Covid reasons, but evidently not.
Basically, do other people do this when visitors come over and if so, is it fine to send a general email to do this? I have no idea who I would contact specifically or if the email would even be read. My visitor will only be here just over 48h.
Thanks in advance!

Before bloody Brexit there was no need at all to register our British family and friends that were staying with us. The police website in fact only talks about Non-EU visitors and if you click on the word "comunicazione" written in blue, there is a handy form that you can print and fill out. I don't know why the UK website talks about the Questura when it's your local police station and not the questura. I never ever thought it about before Brexit and not after either. I had my sister and 2 friends here in February and none of this ever crossed my mind. One of the local carabinieri knows exactly who I am and saw us all out in a bar chatting away in English. I'm the only English person in the village and it is not a tourist place so anybody sitting with me and nattering away in English is more than likely to be staying at my house. He just nodded his head in my direction as a quiet ciao and never said a word. Probably didn't even think about Brexit himself.

https://www.poliziadistato.it/artico...e6c73863395263

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Mar 16th 2022 at 8:14 am. Reason: forgot link
Old Mar 16th 2022, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Before bloody The police website in fact only talks about Non-EU visitors and if you click on the word "comunicazione" written in blue, there is a handy form that you can print and fill out. I don't know why the UK website talks about the Questura when it's your local police station and not the questura.

https://www.poliziadistato.it/artico...e6c73863395263
Thanks, that's a really useful bit of advice and link
Old Mar 16th 2022, 6:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
Thanks, that's a really useful bit of advice and link
Not to blow my own trumpet, but that's why I am a Mod. Been here forever and know lots of stuff, if not all of it. And very glad to help.
Old Mar 20th 2022, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Solarcower is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks geordieborn and modicasa for the input, and thanks for the form Lorna! I had found another form, but seems like this is the right one. Here it's possible to send it by email. So, hassle, but hopefully not too much. Let's see.
A follow up question - my partner and I both own the residence. Is it likely to be sufficient if just I sign the form, or are they likely to ask for both signatures if the property info has both our names on?
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:02 am

Oooooops. Just had my dad, sister and two nephews here for 6 days and totally forgot all about this malarkey. Took them all over town, the neighbouring villages and an animal park 30 odd Km away and this registering thing didn't cross my mind once. Walked all around the market chatting in English and calling out to the kids and didn't get stopped by the Polizia Locale. Didn't get any visits or calls from the local Carbs and not expecting any either.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Oooooops. Just had my dad, sister and two nephews here for 6 days and totally forgot all about this malarkey. Took them all over town, the neighbouring villages and an animal park 30 odd Km away and this registering thing didn't cross my mind once. Walked all around the market chatting in English and calling out to the kids and didn't get stopped by the Polizia Locale. Didn't get any visits or calls from the local Carbs and not expecting any either.
My worry is the passenger locator form has details of where they’re staying but when I mention this to Italians they just laugh. 😂😂
Having received fines from 10 years ago recently, who knows if they’d bother to chase it up.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tpw21
My worry is the passenger locator form has details of where they’re staying but when I mention this to Italians they just laugh. 😂😂
Having received fines from 10 years ago recently, who knows if they’d bother to chase it up.
What sort of thing are they giving fines for after 10years?
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by philat98
What sort of thing are they giving fines for after 10years?
I forgot to pay a couple of TV licence instalments before leaving and returning 5 years later!
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by tpw21
That never crossed my mind either. My dad's okay. He travelled with his Irish passport.
Looking back, I've had dozens of friends stay over the years and not always Brits. An Australian friend stayed in several hotels, with friends and then with me back in 2006 and I'd never heard of this police registration thing except for hotels keeping your passport or ID card for registration. Back in 2006 she had her daughter with her and we got verbal permission from the primary school class teacher and head teacher for her to spend a day in school with my own daughter and talk about Australia and follow an Italian school day. Nobody ever asked us then or later if the police knew they were here and I've never received any fines or anything.

Would they really follow up on everything and everyone? As in most cases, I suppose the Italian law can be interpreted in several ways. What if my son's mate, who lives and goes to school here but isn't Italian nor European decides to sleep over one night after a few beers? Is that me giving him "alloggio"? Is he still a straniero even though he's a resident?

If anybody does ever come checking up on my sister I'll just play dumb and say I presumed that the PLF was already registered everywhere what with it being a government document.

Old Apr 26th 2022, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading today that there are government restrictions on heating the house. The maximum temperature is 20C and the number of hours of heating permitted is decided by your location in Italy. Who knows how they check what you are doing?
Old Apr 26th 2022, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that the PLF is actually much helpn identifying where people are staying, since - very oddly - the form only requires people to enter a street. The city, house number, CAP are all optional. So one can just put Via Roma and nobody will have the first clue
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww guys stop already! ;-)

I have visitors arriving tomorrow and was thinking I wouldn't bother to register their presence... but reading this thread my masochistic side feels like going down to the local police station (or should I go to the questura) and wave a completed form at the police just to see what happens! I know it could open a can of worms but it's like a scab that I can't help picking at!

Btw on the heating temperature thing (see above posts). It applies more if you live in a block of flats with a central shared boiler. The caretaker or management group will set the boiler to switch on and off according to the rules in each region

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.