Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

renewing UK passport

renewing UK passport

Old Dec 31st 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renewing UK passport

My passport expires at the end of February. I just looked at the British embassy in Italy website and it seems really hard to get it renewed here. Not to mention expensive! 148 euro not including postage! The form is 4 pages long and seems to need a countersignature, I thought that was only for your 1st passport?
Has anyone else done this recently and am I reading all the info right? My husband renewed his from Japan a few months ago and had to fill in one page and pay about half as much. How does that work?
Would it be easier, and cheaper, if I went home to do the renewing? Haven't seen my Mum for 3 years so should visit soon anyway!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing UK passport

Originally Posted by DaniL
Would it be easier, and cheaper, if I went home to do the renewing? Haven't seen my Mum for 3 years so should visit soon anyway!
If you have the time to do it it probably is the easiest way. I believe all Passport Renewal Applications from the EU now have to go to Paris.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I renewed my children's passports when we were in the UK last summer. It was a lot cheaper and took about ten days. You still need the counter signatory though.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
If you have the time to do it it probably is the easiest way. I believe all Passport Renewal Applications from the EU now have to go to Paris.
Madrid from here and twice the bloody price.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

the counter signatory is going to be a massive problem. I haven't lived in the Uk for the past 4 years. A friend is a teacher but lives up in Penrith and my family are on the south coast. Hmmmm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:48 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We did ours from Spain a couple of years ago....sent the form to our daughter in England who sent it off, got the new passports and posted them on to us. Didn't need a countersignatory as we still looked the same on our new photos. Check the form I'm sure it says something on there about not needing a countersignatory if your photo hasn't changed much.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
We did ours from Spain a couple of years ago....sent the form to our daughter in England who sent it off, got the new passports and posted them on to us. Didn't need a countersignatory as we still looked the same on our new photos. Check the form I'm sure it says something on there about not needing a countersignatory if your photo hasn't changed much.
You are a naughty girl, if you apply in the UK then you have to be there, you are not supposed to send them through a third party.
I think now you have to apply in person either at a post office or the embassy to get them as well as a signature on the paperwork.
You are no longer allowed a white background on the photos either, has to be grey or cream, this gave the Spanish photographer a good laugh.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

sonofjoe will become famous soon enoughsonofjoe will become famous soon enough

I read this on the Identity and Passport Services web site https://passports.ips.gov.uk/epa1r1a/Rich/Formpage.aspx looking to see if you could apply on line!

"This service is only available to British nationals currently in the UK, for the return of a passport to an address in the UK. If you are not currently in the UK, please contact your nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission who should be able to issue you with a British passport.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:00 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You are a naughty girl, if you apply in the UK then you have to be there, you are not supposed to send them through a third party.
I think now you have to apply in person either at a post office or the embassy to get them as well as a signature on the paperwork.
You are no longer allowed a white background on the photos either, has to be grey or cream, this gave the Spanish photographer a good laugh.
Then I am a naughty girl But then I was and still am a British citizen and will not pay through the nose for something I know I can get cheaper. The charges through the British Consulate are rip off
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Then I am a naughty girl But then I was and still am a British citizen and will not pay through the nose for something I know I can get cheaper. The charges through the British Consulate are rip off
And I would point out that there does not appear to have been any criminal offence committed.

When British Embassies offer third class service for double the cost, it's hardly surprising people try to find an alternative.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by JAJ
And I would point out that there does not appear to have been any criminal offence committed.

When British Embassies offer third class service for double the cost, it's hardly surprising people try to find an alternative.
It says you have to be in the UK to apply there, if you are not isn`t that obtaining a passport by fraud.
Also the PP`s applied for from Madrid have a different stamp in them, so maybe that is done for a purpose ?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It says you have to be in the UK to apply there, if you are not isn`t that obtaining a passport by fraud.
Who is being defrauded?

Also the PP`s applied for from Madrid have a different stamp in them, so maybe that is done for a purpose ?
It's because the Foreign Office deal with issuing passports overseas (and they appear to have forgotten they're not dealing with foreigners ... )
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who is being defrauded?

It's because the Foreign Office deal with issuing passports overseas (and they appear to have forgotten they're not dealing with foreigners ... )
The UK passport office, because they are not in the UK when applying and signing a form to say they are in the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by jdr
The UK passport office, because they are not in the UK when applying and signing a form to say they are in the UK.
And what difference does that make? They are paying the fee and are a British citizen, so once again, how is someone defrauded of anything?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by JAJ
And what difference does that make? They are paying the fee and are a British citizen, so once again, how is someone defrauded of anything?
Surely by falsifying the application form is an intentional deception for personal gain, which I thought fraud was.
Apparently you see it different so we have to agree on not agreeing. ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.