Reload this Page >

Registering a motorbike in Italy after Brexit

Registering a motorbike in Italy after Brexit

Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

NicholasN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering a motorbike in Italy after Brexit

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has done this recently with either a car or motorcycle (i guess the process would be the same).
I have a Suzuki gsr750 from 2014, and would like to know if is worth it to take all the way to Italy.
We are moving to north of italy, near Padova.
Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a motorbike in Italy after Brexit

I doubt Brexit has changed anything regards registering, still the same issues and cost. The ACI site will have details and an idea of cost.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

dreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NicholasN
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has done this recently with either a car or motorcycle (i guess the process would be the same).
I have a Suzuki gsr750 from 2014, and would like to know if is worth it to take all the way to Italy.
We are moving to north of italy, near Padova.
Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Hi, we are in the process of re-registering our car. For a small fee your local ACI office will manage the process for you.

Go armed with the usual suspects:
Registration document (on this occasion we were also asked for proof of purchase….)
Certificate of Conformity (going directly to the dealership meant the cost for us was half that quoted by an online website)
Carta d’Identita
I’ve just realised I was not asked for my driving licence - we did switch our driving licences with them last year so maybe he already has a copy….)

He has confirmed that it will be the exact same for the motorbike when it arrives.

Best of luck
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much.
I would prefer if ACI are able to do this for me and is good to know they can!

Now i need to find a cheap enough transporter to bring this to Italy.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

dreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the rough

Thank you very much.
I would prefer if ACI are able to do this for me and is good to know they can!

Now i need to find a cheap enough transporter to bring this to Italy.
Hi Nicholas, we had lots of fun and games trying to find a company to transport the bike to Italy. Much more complicated post Brexit. Free movement has gone by the wayside so the possibility of taxes etc. In the end we used a company called Chas Mortimer. The bike is due to be delivered this Thursday so I can update you after that.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Dreamo.
How much did you pay for the transport, and I imagine you will pay VAT when importing your bike too?
My bike is not too expensive and I really need to weigh all these costs before making a decision.

I have it from new and find it really hard to say goodbye

Last edited by NicholasN; Aug 24th 2021 at 6:56 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Dreamo.
How much did you pay for the transport, and I imagine you will pay VAT when importing your bike too?
My bike is not too expensive and I really need to weigh all these costs before making a decision.

May be a daft suggestion, but have you thought about putting a post on a motorbike forum to see if anyone wants to ride it over?
Old Aug 25th 2021, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Dreamo.

£550 door to door Nicholas.

The officials told us that tax should not be due, they used the example of a lawn mower!! If we brought our old sit on lawn mower from the UK to Italy tax is not due but apparently transporting bikes slipped through the net when the rules were being drawn up.
He said riding it through the border should be fine but there were 2 instances where the owners was told to pay tax or turn around. He reckoned an overzealous border control chap. But, this is 2 instances out of 1000s of bikes travelling through the border.
Some transport companies tell you to expect to pay the tax but other say it’s ok.

As far as I know our bike is now in Italy and winging its way to us. I’ll confirm once its safely arrived.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Haven't thought about it but it is not a bad idea. I will have a look and see what is out there. Thank for the suggestion.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dreamo,
I got in touch with the company you suggested and they quoted me much more, it was £575 for the bike only, and then some £350 more for both customs clearance , plus that he said i would have to pay VAT for it too.
Have you had yours delivered yet? If yes have you had to pay anything extra at the customs?

I am curious to find out your expereince ince you start the registration process too.

Thank you!
Old Sep 6th 2021, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dreamo,
I got in touch with the company you suggested and they quoted me much more, it was £575 for the bike only, and then some £350 more for both customs clearance , plus that he said i would have to pay VAT for it too.
Have you had yours delivered yet? If yes have you had to pay anything extra at the customs?

I am curious to find out your expereince ince you start the registration process too.

Thank you!
Apologies for the delay Nicholas.
That’s really surprising. The bike arrived safely, no customs or VAT.
We also recommended them to a friend who received the same quote as us.
Would you like me to chat to them on your behalf? Happy to as something seems wrong. 😔

Another thought, if anything ours should have been a little more expensive as we are further south meaning a longer drive…… 🤔
Old Sep 7th 2021, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eretansal
If you move to Italy with your bike, you have to register it with Italian license plates within two months of obtaining your residency in Italy. If you don’t, your bike could be impounded.
I did not realize it was as little as 2 months. We had our UK car here for some years but I think we were lucky 🍀
Old Sep 8th 2021, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

I wouldn't mind at all you chatting with them, and thank you for offering.
It is really strange for the price difference then if someone else whom you recommended have paid the same.

Even more so if you say you live further down south than me in Padova.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't mind at all you chatting with them, and thank you for offering.
It is really strange for the price difference then if someone else whom you recommended have paid the same.

Even more so if you say you live further down south than me in Padova.
No problem, I’ll contact them tomorrow Nicholas and let you know how I get on 🥀
Old Sep 8th 2021, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Johnbologna63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid £500 to have mine brought over from Kent. That was a couple of years ago. Did you have to change the head lights over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.