Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Receipts and Italy

Receipts and Italy

Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Receipts and Italy

Please tell me about receipts and Italy! Every time I've bought something, whether expensive or cheap, I've been given a receipt.

No problem with this but sometimes I leave the receipt behind, especially if I've only bought a €1.00 euro icecream. Now my husband says this is wrong and Italian law says I should be taking the receipt with me.

Am I supposed to take the receipt with me, at least as far as out of the shop before I put it in the rubbish bin?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

ilio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Receipts and Italy

Yes as it is proof that the shop gave it to you, incase you get stopped outside the shop by the police or Guardia di Finanzia, if you do not have it you would be fined (as per the law) and you should always insist on a receipt, if the shop does not give it to you, he may not be declaring his sales....
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:34 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Yes, but why do we never get a receit from a garage?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

OK then and thanks for confirming this. From now on the receipts come with me
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ilio
Yes as it is proof that the shop gave it to you, incase you get stopped outside the shop by the police or Guardia di Finanzia, if you do not have it you would be fined (as per the law) and you should always insist on a receipt, if the shop does not give it to you, he may not be declaring his sales....
That's not true anymore.

New financial laws in 2003/2004 scrapped the fines for the shopper.

Giving out a receipt is obbligatory which is why a shop keeper or whoever might point out that you have left the receipt on the counter or whatever - sometimes I think it's habit a well - but you will not be fined.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:48 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought that I'd better back up my post with some legal blurb ..........

http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2...50105089.shtml

http://www.intrage.it/rubriche/consu...le/index.shtml

This is the old law .........

6. Al destinatario dello scontrino fiscale e della ricevuta fiscale che, a richiesta degli organi accertatori, nel luogo della prestazione o nelle sue adiacenze, non esibisce il documento o lo esibisce con indicazione di un corrispettivo inferiore a quello reale si applica la sanzione amministrativa da lire centomila a lire due milioni.

And this is the new one that says this :

10. A decorrere dalla data di entrata in vigore del presente decreto e' abrogato l'articolo 11, comma 6, del decreto legislativo 18 dicembre 1997, n. 471.

"Abrogato" means annulled.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Do the shops not get fined then if you don't take the receipt? I know of someone who got stopped outside a shop last summer and had to show their receipt to the guarda di finanzia. The market people often get figety but I have noticed that some stalls, especially fruit and veg ones have given me receipts for less than they have charged me.... sneaky eh!!??
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

I've never noticed a different amount on the receipt before but that's probablys because I don't look properly. Funnily enough the one time someone did say 'you must take a receipt in case the inspectors come' was on a market stall run by an Englishman in Padova for a four-day continental food & produce market.

(I was buying lemon curd at the time )
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

debra is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine runs a local cake shop and often gives me freebies, she always gives me a receipt that I have paid something, as she is not allowed to give them away!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
Do the shops not get fined then if you don't take the receipt? I know of someone who got stopped outside a shop last summer and had to show their receipt to the guarda di finanzia. The market people often get figety but I have noticed that some stalls, especially fruit and veg ones have given me receipts for less than they have charged me.... sneaky eh!!??
The shops can get fined.

The guardia can still stop you - the customer - to ask if the shop gave you a receipt and if it was for the correct amount - but you personally cannot be fined anymore.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by lindaf
I've never noticed a different amount on the receipt before but that's probablys because I don't look properly. Funnily enough the one time someone did say 'you must take a receipt in case the inspectors come' was on a market stall run by an Englishman in Padova for a four-day continental food & produce market.

There used to be different rules for market stall holders but that all changed some years back and all the market people had to go out and buy cash till registers or little receipt books.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindaf

oh poo - I knew there was something I forgot to buy when I was in the UK - yesterday I had a lovely fresh baguette and I could've just done with some lemon curd to slap on !!

Sometimes my hairdresser asks me if its okay not to have a receipt - I dont mind. I imagine its difficult enough to run a business here . I know my boss is always moaning and saying how hard it is to make any profit .....probably does this more for our benefit so he doesnt have to give us a rise
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

If i get asked do i want a receipt. I ask what discount you going to give me. As you are going to put it in your pocket I want to benifit as well...if they do not give discount I then want a receipt.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:46 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
oh poo - I knew there was something I forgot to buy when I was in the UK - yesterday I had a lovely fresh baguette and I could've just done with some lemon curd to slap on !!

Sometimes my hairdresser asks me if its okay not to have a receipt - I dont mind. I imagine its difficult enough to run a business here . I know my boss is always moaning and saying how hard it is to make any profit .....probably does this more for our benefit so he doesnt have to give us a rise
Make your own, it's dead easy if you can find corn flour! Or I could send you some - it's everywhere here, seriously, it and Twinings are among the easier UK foods to find. Florentines must like it!

That's a thought actually - it would probably be cheaper for you all to jump on a train to Florence and stock up on Brit goodies than doing trips back to the UK! Or maybe not - salad cream €5.30 and the only one that likes it is my OH!!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
That's a thought actually - it would probably be cheaper for you all to jump on a train to Florence and stock up on Brit goodies than doing trips back to the UK! Or maybe not - salad cream €5.30 and the only one that likes it is my OH!!!
Hmmmm I remember one memorable trip traipsing around a rather dodgy area of Torino looking for the one shop in the city that sold Dorset Cereals Museli (dh is such a fanatic that he emailed the company to ask them!!) with kids in tow and everything to find this little shop with a big security grille up at the counter and the man behinf the counter smoking a cigar.... we found the museli on the shelf - €10.50 a flipping packet!! for something that we thought was pricey at £2.99 in the UK!!!! Needless to say we didn't buy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.