Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A question about residency

A question about residency

Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:04 am
Just Joined

keeva72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about residency

From what I can gather in order to get residency in Italy you need to either to have proof of employment or be able to prove that you have enough funds to be able to support yourself.

My wife and I saved what we think will be enough to see us by for about 6 months in the hope that we find work in that time, we have paid our rent up until the end of May.

So do we just go down to our local Comune di Firenze with our passports and bank statements and then wait for the police to pay us a visit to confirm where we live?

This sounds a bit simple and from what I understand of Italy nothing is simple.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:08 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about residency

The killer for you, unless you have it, is going to be private health insurance. It is catch22 in your case. You want work and once you have it you can get on the health service here but until then you are here electively so would need insurance to get residency and you have to have a policy that's accepted. You do have 3 months anyway before you have to register so as long as you can afford Drs bills you can wait as you may get work in that period.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I do not understand all this!!!

I have met a guy that works in the uk and lives in Italy (cesena) does not have anyincome here at all. As he does not speak Italian very well we went to the comune together so i can help him...

He Got:

Codice Fiscale = Easy
Certificato di Residenza = Easy which he has to renew yearly
1st Go register to comune where you live
2nd Vigili will come round and make sure it's you living there
3rd you then get Certificat di Residenza

The above without proof of income or anything, We was then told "now that you have your Certificato Di Residenza you can co choose your doctor and get a tessera sanitaria...

WE are not "ex-comunitari" we are stranieri PART OF THE EU...this is where a lot of comuni get confussed. and we are treated as ex- com and not starnieri
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

How long ago is this? When I first arrived I was entitled to ASL. Then I wasn't. Next June I will have been here five years so will test out then if I can be covered again.

Also, has be actually applied for the health card yet? Just because the comune said he could have it doesn't mean he will get it.

I am very interested though
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:33 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
I do not understand all this!!!

I have met a guy that works in the uk and lives in Italy (cesena) does not have anyincome here at all. As he does not speak Italian very well we went to the comune together so i can help him...

He Got:

Codice Fiscale = Easy
Certificato di Residenza = Easy which he has to renew yearly
1st Go register to comune where you live
2nd Vigili will come round and make sure it's you living there
3rd you then get Certificat di Residenza

The above without proof of income or anything, We was then told "now that you have your Certificato Di Residenza you can co choose your doctor and get a tessera sanitaria...

WE are not "ex-comunitari" we are stranieri PART OF THE EU...this is where a lot of comuni get confussed. and we are treated as ex- com and not starnieri
Originally Posted by LivingHere
How long ago is this? When I first arrived I was entitled to ASL. Then I wasn't. Next June I will have been here five years so will test out then if I can be covered again.

Also, has be actually applied for the health card yet? Just because the comune said he could have it doesn't mean he will get it.

I am very interested though
It all changed feb 2007 for EU residents. Unless it has changed recently, then again different comunes interpret it differently anyway, but what I've written is how it's SUPPOSED to be interpreted and is how Florence does. It being a bigger city and attractive to Romanians and Bulgarians they enforce it to the letter. It was to counter the influx of the above by making it more difficult to get residency, because, as you rightly say, we are all EU, including them and Italy doesn't want them but can't exclude only them so it covers us all. Telling Keeva any different won't help in Florence, he will have to do it by the law here. And, yes, it's illegal of Italy to do this but the EU issues fines and censures and Berlu and his mates just carry on regardless - having said that all this came in under Prodi!!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:41 am
The Original Red Head!

Keeva - go to the comune website for Florence and click on the link for immigration I think it is - it tells you quite definitively on there what you will need to gain residency depending on your status. And yes, this link is for EU citizens too! It splits the requirements by EU and non-EU. Mr. Posh you can have a look too if you like, at least then you will know what is supposed to happen!! I'd appreciate your comments anyway.

http://en.comune.firenze.it/administ...t_requests.htm

In fact here is the link, in English!!

Plus the actual requirements for those not working, studying or working for themselves IN Italy:

Se non appartenente alle precedenti categorie:

-Dimostrazione della disponibilità delle risorse economiche sufficienti al soggiorno per sè e per i propri familiari;

-Polizza di Assicurazione Sanitaria di copertura delle spese sanitarie.

N.B.Il coniuge, i discendenti diretti di età inferiore a 21 anni o a carico e quelli del coniuge del cittadino comunitario avente un autonomo diritto di soggiorno, nonchè gli ascendenti diretti a carico e quelli del coniuge, tutti aventi la cittadinanza in uno Stato Membro, oltre alla documentazione sopra riportata devono presentare:

-un documento in originale e copia attestante la qualità di familiare o di familiare a carico: Certificazione nazionale debitamente legalizzata, fatti salvi accordi internazionali, tradotta dall'Ambasciata Italiana dello specifico Stato, comprendente i dati di stato civile ( celibe o nubile, coniugato, vedovanza e/o divorzio, attestazione dei rapporti di parentela).

I richiedenti dovranno compilare in forma leggibile i seguenti moduli in distribuzione presso l'Ufficio Anagrafe -Via dei Leoni n.5 scaricabili dalla sezione modulistica posta in fondo alla presente scheda:

1.Dichiarazione di Cambio di Residenza;

2.Variazione di indirizzo (in duplice copia) per la patente e carta di circolazione veicoli);

3.Dichiarazione ai fini T.I.A. (Tariffa Igiene Ambientale).

Until Keeva GETS work he is in this category, as is anyone who doesn't pay Italian taxes as working for yourself means someone with a partita iva here.

Last edited by TestaRossa; Nov 28th 2009 at 8:44 am.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

In that case I will just SHUT UP and say Thank you Cesena

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj...ovement_en.htm

I took this bit below from the link above

If a citizen wants to reside in another Member State without exercising any activity or to study, he/she can do so provided he/she can prove (and in the case of students, declare) that he/she has sufficient financial resources not to become a burden for the host Member State's social assistance system and that he/she is covered by a sickness insurance policy. He/she must also prove that he/she has sufficient financial resources and sickness insurance for each member of his/her family who is entitled to reside with him/her.

@ LivingHere...Yes he went picked his doctor and got his card...Like TR said every comune is so so different

Last edited by Mr Posh; Nov 28th 2009 at 9:28 am.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:33 am
The Original Red Head!

That was very graceful! I've asked Lorna to do a sticky anyway - I think it would be useful as this keeps coming up again and again. I know you can use a form from the UK too to prove you have the right to health coverage, but I can't remember what it's called and I think it is hit and miss with that too!! E106 maybe? But I doubt keeva will have that having been in Tokyo, unless he was still paying into NI in the UK.

SO, Cesena's a nice place is it? Lol! Might head out that way myself!! My OH finally took residency in Spain because of all the hassle here....Means I'm not sorted yet though!!!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:45 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
That was very graceful! I've asked Lorna to do a sticky anyway - I think it would be useful as this keeps coming up again and again. I know you can use a form from the UK too to prove you have the right to health coverage, but I can't remember what it's called and I think it is hit and miss with that too!! E106 maybe? But I doubt keeva will have that having been in Tokyo, unless he was still paying into NI in the UK.

SO, Cesena's a nice place is it? Lol! Might head out that way myself!! My OH finally took residency in Spain because of all the hassle here....Means I'm not sorted yet though!!!
A sticky would be useful if only to print it off and take it to the comune to show them what they are supposed to do. On a recent trip to the hospital I saw that if you aren't Italian unless you have the new health card with a chip in it (I've yet to see one), you have to pruduce both the paper one and the european one along with your I.D. card. I also saw that some ASL's are allowing EU citizen to buy into the system the same way as non-eu are allowed to. About time too.

Livinghere, let us know what happens. Think Lorna's is up next year too.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some advice.

Ive got an EHIC card coming from the UK next week but I'm thinking that the comune wont accept this as it sounds like its more for holiday cover.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you stay in Italy beyond 3 months without residency? Are you deported?
Is it possible to get a codice fiscale without having the residency thing? I'm guessing I need a codice fiscale before I can open a bank account and get a job.

It might not sound like it but I really have tried to find out all of this on the internet but its it all as clear as mud.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keeva72
Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some advice.

Ive got an EHIC card coming from the UK next week but I'm thinking that the comune wont accept this as it sounds like its more for holiday cover.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you stay in Italy beyond 3 months without residency? Are you deported?
Is it possible to get a codice fiscale without having the residency thing? I'm guessing I need a codice fiscale before I can open a bank account and get a job.

It might not sound like it but I really have tried to find out all of this on the internet but its it all as clear as mud.
Just to quickly answer one question ......

the codice fiscale is probably the easiest thing to get here and you don't need residency to get it.

Just google "agenzia delle entrate + name of your comune" and you'll get the address - then pop along with your passport.

P.S. You won't get deported.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just to quickly answer one question ......

the codice fiscale is probably the easiest thing to get here and you don't need residency to get it.

Just google "agenzia delle entrate + name of your comune" and you'll get the address - then pop along with your passport.

P.S. You won't get deported.
Thank you!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:27 pm
The Original Red Head!

You get your CF from one of two offices down the bottom of via Nazionale. Go to the one around the corner on the viale, not the one on Nazionale itself as it closes after a certain number of people have gone in - and get there as early as possible! My OH got ours by getting there before 8.00 a.m. and there was already a queue outside!!

As Lorna says you won't get deported. You used to be able to apply as someone searching for work....don't know if that category exists anymore, I think it's only on PdiS's which you don't need. Florence won't accept the EHIC card BUT if you are eligible for that then you might be able to get the form from the Dept. of Work and Pensions that entitles you to health care in another country - check it out on their website.

Btw, the easiest bank to join is the banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena - it took me about 20 mins to open a non-residents account there, you just need your passport and codice fiscale.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

We are in Puglia and my husband applied for residency 6/10/09

Our comune asked for:

1) passport
2)codice fiscale
3)proof of income appx 5000Euros for single person
4)Health: they accepted the new NHS health card (on the front it says European health insurance card)
5)copy of marriage certificate
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:51 am
The Original Red Head!

Florence won't or wouldn't accept the EHIC card when we went.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.