Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Posting NHS medicines to Italy

Posting NHS medicines to Italy

Old May 24th 2023, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

RadarsBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Posting NHS medicines to Italy

Ciao, my Mum is currently staying in Italy and will be there for about 3 months. I need to post her NHS medication to her but I'm coming up with all kinds of problems. Some websites say it's not possible others say it is but only via the doctor. Please help if you can. She is running low, especially on her blood pressure tablets and i need to get them to her ASAP or to arrange an alternative. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Grazie
Nina C
Old May 24th 2023, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Posting NHS medicines to Italy

Originally Posted by RadarsBear
Ciao, my Mum is currently staying in Italy and will be there for about 3 months. I need to post her NHS medication to her but I'm coming up with all kinds of problems. Some websites say it's not possible others say it is but only via the doctor. Please help if you can. She is running low, especially on her blood pressure tablets and i need to get them to her ASAP or to arrange an alternative. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Grazie
Nina C
There are lots of medications available over the counter at farmacias in italy but obviously they will need to be paid for. i use Zantipres 30mg for BP. A month supply at one a day costs 10.89 euros but this is with a 'scrip from my GP here and it's free due to my age. Would her health insurance cover this? Sorry i can't be more helpful.
Old May 24th 2023, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

RadarsBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pica
There are lots of medications available over the counter at farmacias in italy but obviously they will need to be paid for. i use Zantipres 30mg for BP. A month supply at one a day costs 10.89 euros but this is with a 'scrip from my GP here and it's free due to my age. Would her health insurance cover this? Sorry i can't be more helpful.
Oh that is wonderful news! Thank you so much x I will pass that onto Mum right now. I must admit I was beginning to panic!
Old May 24th 2023, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RadarsBear
Oh that is wonderful news! Thank you so much x I will pass that onto Mum right now. I must admit I was beginning to panic!
Bless you for caring so much about your mum. Hoping someone can take her to a farmacia and sort out what she needs.
Old May 24th 2023, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Italian customs are pretty hot on anything medical coming from outside the EU.Does she have a EHIC/GHIC card?
Old May 24th 2023, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a service Guardia Medica Turistica for medical requirements of tourists in Italy.
Old May 24th 2023, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sure there won’t be a problem. Just take the medicine box / packet to a Pharmacy to show them. Provided your name is on it I can’t see any pharmacy turning you down. You will have to pay for it but Bp medicines are generally cheap. Lots of drugs that are prescription only in the UK are freely available over the counter in Italy. Statins, inhalers, even certain antibiotics.