Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Planning permission for log cabins

Planning permission for log cabins

Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough
Default Planning permission for log cabins

Im looking at putting in a 100 square metre log cabin in my olive grove which is about 12 acres in size. Do I need planning permission . Spoke to a a planning guy at the commune here but he didnt have a clue what I was talking about. He just thought I was mad to want to have a wooden building in an olive grove
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning permission for log cabins

Hi, I am very much certain you will need one, and I think it would be quite difficult to get.

Having said that I have see on -Subito.it -a firm advertising them under - chalets -.

Good luck
Old Jul 7th 2014, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what you mean by log cabin, and it depends where. You presumably want walls and a roof in a zona vincolata - so the answer is no you cant just do what you want. You need permissions, cubatura and all the other requisites.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DesiderataSicilia
Im looking at putting in a 100 square metre log cabin in my olive grove which is about 12 acres in size. Do I need planning permission . Spoke to a a planning guy at the commune here but he didnt have a clue what I was talking about. He just thought I was mad to want to have a wooden building in an olive grove
Granted that my knowledge of Italian civil law dates back to the 80s, but, if nothing has changed, it depends on the destination of the cabin. If it is not for housing purposes and your land is also not for building purposes, you could get away with planning permission. In all other cases you do need a planning permission.

In practice the only case I would see that you don't need a planning permission is that your field is all occupied as an agricultural business and you use your cabin as a shed to leave your tools.

A similar thread in Italian:
https://it.answers.yahoo.com/questio...7082549AAwyHmC
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Gioppino its all changed. People thought that they could build in wood as it was technically non-permanent, and therefore not a permanent structure and therefore exempt from building laws. They were wrong. Also Desiderata lives in a protected area, with no-build rules and you cant get round them just by choosing wood as a building material
Also its not a garden shed - its a 100mq she wants to build - thats a house!
For a shed for your tractor you also need permission, as you do for a garage, and technically even a garden shed.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

What if he declares the log cabin as a "annesso agricolo"?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

You still need permission, and the available cubatura
Old Jul 14th 2014, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
You still need permission, and the available cubatura
Thanks. I am following this thread because it has given me some ideas.