Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Planes , trains and busses over Christmas

Planes , trains and busses over Christmas

Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

wanabethere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planes , trains and busses over Christmas

I know this question is like having Christmas decorations in the shops before Halloween but to get cheaper fares we have to book soon. We hope to go over on the 26th Dec to Rome and then on to Val di Sangro . In case that there is snow on the roads we are thinking of taking the bus or the train to Pescara and hiring a car there. Firstly do the hotels busses, and car hire run at Christmas time and which would one suggest is better car or train? As OH is always driving as we go over the Apennines and daren't take his eyes off the road. I would love him to be able to relax and see those incredible views.
Our other option is to go from Ireland to Stanstead and on to Pescara but we would loose two of our precious days in travelling and being stuck in Airports.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planes , trains and busses over Christmas

Check out trenitalia website for the trains. We use the trains all the time without any problem. May work out the same as hiring a car, but you can book tickets on-line which means you can get them cheaper if you book them now. If it says a train is running on the 26th, it will be running, unlike the UK where it will disappear 5 minutes before you are due to leave! Would you fly into Fiumicino? In that case you would get the express from the airport into Rome - it all pretty painless travelling by train here. We have gone from here, Florence, to Nice and also up to valle d'Aosta for ski-ing which involved between 4 and 5 changes, all of which went smoothly. I've taken the train from here to Rome in the Christmas period and apart from the 25th which has fewer trains running, everything is as normal.

Car hire from the airport will be as normal - the ones in the towns will probably have shorter hours or close earlier, they do here.

Are you planning on staying in Rome that period? I'd get that booked now as well, they fill up quick with pilgrims at Christmas!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

wanabethere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Check out trenitalia website for the trains. We use the trains all the time without any problem. May work out the same as hiring a car, but you can book tickets on-line which means you can get them cheaper if you book them now. If it says a train is running on the 26th, it will be running, unlike the UK where it will disappear 5 minutes before you are due to leave! Would you fly into Fiumicino? In that case you would get the express from the airport into Rome - it all pretty painless travelling by train here. We have gone from here, Florence, to Nice and also up to valle d'Aosta for ski-ing which involved between 4 and 5 changes, all of which went smoothly. I've taken the train from here to Rome in the Christmas period and apart from the 25th which has fewer trains running, everything is as normal.

Car hire from the airport will be as normal - the ones in the towns will probably have shorter hours or close earlier, they do here.

Are you planning on staying in Rome that period? I'd get that booked now as well, they fill up quick with pilgrims at Christmas!
Thanks very much for your reply. We will be flying into Ciampino airport and we hope to stay in the twin trees b& b where we stayed before but thanks for the tip as I will contact them in case they are booked up.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:20 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

There will be a website for Ciampino too - it should have details of buses and trains that run between it and Rome, assuming it has a train?? I don't know Ciampino. It should tell you what days there is no or a restricted service.