Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Places to visit in Western Sicily

Places to visit in Western Sicily

Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:58 am
Just Joined

alicelisle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Places to visit in Western Sicily

Some of you might remember my last post about moving in Sicily. Well I guess I didnt introduce myself very well. I am an Australian-raised Brit living in Italy with my American husband (who I met in Japan, just to complicate things ). We live in Catania, and love it so far!! I'm really looking for places to visit in Western Sicily. The only places we have been recommended are in Eastern Sicily - like Palermo, Agrigento, etc. And in all my books on Sicily (Lonely Planet and Eyewitness - any other recommendations), they focus on Eastern Sicily too. And while we are happy to drive over there now and again, we want to find places a little closer to home! We are up for anything, out-of-the-ordinary experiences, just really good places to eat, pretty towns, etc. Also if anyone knows of any where we can buy cadbury chocolate and marmite, that would be very helpful!!!

We're also traveling to Milan in February, so anyone who has tips for there, would be fantastic too! We will be there for two full days and three nights.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:22 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to visit in Western Sicily

I'm confused - isn't Catania in the East??!

Anyway - I have a friend who lives in Messina and she recommends Siracusa.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

alicelisle is an unknown quantity at this point

I was really tired when I made this thread.....
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

No probs! I'd probably change the title now though!! Anyway - check out Siracusa!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I'm confused - isn't Catania in the East??!

Anyway - I have a friend who lives in Messina and she recommends Siracusa.
Yep, I agree we have relatives in Siracusa and it is wonderful, go to isola ortigia It is a little Island attached to Siracusa by a number of bridges. the cathedral at Siracusa is built on an old greek temple and the have incorporated the columns in the structure. Spend a day at Ibla nr ragusa. I love Sicily there is loads to see