Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Petrol Station Card Skimming

Petrol Station Card Skimming

Old Oct 29th 2019, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petrol Station Card Skimming

I live just north of Rome and lots of petrol stations, even unmanned ones, have men of Tamil origin 'working' there. Normally I always pay in cash but because I needed a full tank to head back to the UK I paid by card at the machine on the forecourt and when I checked my bank a couple of days later there were several payments pending that were not mine. The first was for another tankful of fuel from the same station that I had used and then purchases in the UK. Card skimming is apparently a national sport in Sri Lanka and I am not suggesting that every Sri Lankan is involved or that they are the only ones involved but when it happens it is a huge nuisance so be careful out there. I have reported it to the carabiniere but I suspect I may have been targeted as I drive a British car.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol Station Card Skimming

You are having a bad year with your motoring Seldomseenkid. I read that petrol stations are very often dispensing short measure and diluting fuel with cooking oil so card skimming is another line of business.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
I live just north of Rome and lots of petrol stations, even unmanned ones, have men of Tamil origin 'working' there. Normally I always pay in cash but because I needed a full tank to head back to the UK I paid by card at the machine on the forecourt and when I checked my bank a couple of days later there were several payments pending that were not mine. The first was for another tankful of fuel from the same station that I had used and then purchases in the UK. Card skimming is apparently a national sport in Sri Lanka and I am not suggesting that every Sri Lankan is involved or that they are the only ones involved but when it happens it is a huge nuisance so be careful out there. I have reported it to the carabiniere but I suspect I may have been targeted as I drive a British car.
You could ensure that your card is as protected as possibile and that you receive an sms alert each time you use it . Mine also has a geo-control function that limits the countries it can be used in . This summer some attempted to use my card number in Germany and it was blocked instantly.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for a very worthwhile warning. I agree more precaution is needed when using your card out and about. Shame the UK give financial companies more time to the EU SCA rules, they might be a pain but are needed for this type of transaction.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
You are having a bad year with your motoring Seldomseenkid. I read that petrol stations are very often dispensing short measure and diluting fuel with cooking oil so card skimming is another line of business.
Interesting. I've definitely noticed on several occasions in Italy that a full tank doesn't go as far as it seems to go in Germany or Austria. I had wondered about the possibility of it being somehow lower grade fuel in terms of Octane number but on reading your post above I have to say I'm really not surprised.

I like the idea of getting an sms message too every time my card is used. I'm going to look into that...
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The police in Naples this year found a distributor where a remote control allowed the attendant to reduce the supply of fuel while the meter continued as normal.
I have had to change injectors twice. A thing that I never had to do in the UK.