Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

permanent residency (part 2 )

permanent residency (part 2 )

Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent residency (part 2 )

Originally Posted by giodafa
I got it, I got it I got it . I finally got my tessera sanitaria this morning with no expiry date on it!! I'm so thrilled you would think I'd won the lottery.I've reached the conclusion that you can have all the right paperwork and all the laws on your side but if the person behind the desk didn't have a good night they can make your life hell . So the answer to all bureaucratic questions is keep trying they will eventually have a good night and make your life alot easier.Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions
Congratulations giodafa.

I almost agree with you - if the jobsworths have had a bad night, you'll get absolutely nowhere unless you have all the information to hand (ideally with you, and also memorised). With the right information, they often bend eventually - though you may have to pretend to lose your temper one or more times!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

my status : full time mum not working resident since 1990. There is no expiry date but I,m talking about the paper tessera di iscrizione al servizio sanitario regionale, the plastic one will be sento to me through the post . I wa so happy I went out and bought a new photo frame and I put in , that way I can't lose it
Thanks.
But is someone else working in the family?
I ask because I try to find a way to get the tessera for my wife and I if we decide to go to Italy. We are self-sufficient, retired early, so there is no pension for another 10 years from now.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by labus
Thanks.
But is someone else working in the family?
I ask because I try to find a way to get the tessera for my wife and I if we decide to go to Italy. We are self-sufficient, retired early, so there is no pension for another 10 years from now.
Labus - sorry, the simple answer is that she qualified solely by virtue of her 5+ years in Italy. If neither you nor your wife are working, neither of you should be entitled to a tessera for the first 5 years. In other words, for the first 5 years all except emergency treatment would have to be private.

Very occasionally the people administering the system don't understand the rules themselves and someone slips through the net, but it is very rare indeed. And most certainly not a right!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Serrano
Labus - sorry, the simple answer is that she qualified solely by virtue of her 5+ years in Italy. If neither you nor your wife are working, neither of you should be entitled to a tessera for the first 5 years. In other words, for the first 5 years all except emergency treatment would have to be private.

Very occasionally the people administering the system don't understand the rules themselves and someone slips through the net, but it is very rare indeed. And most certainly not a right!
Thanks a lot. So 5 years automatically qualifies you for tessera, even though you don't aquire citizenship?
I like to be very well informed before I decide to emigrating to Italy or not.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 7:34 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship is a big and very complicated thing in Italy. It is not like British or other people going to live in USA, Canada or Australia...... even though I know it can be complicated there too.

In Italy you begin as a resident. Some residents need a permesso di soggiorno (a permit to stay). Residents have to prove how they can live here.

After 5 years (for EU) you can ask for permanent residency. This does not in anyway guarantee you for citizenship. Getting citizenship is an entirely separate process and can take years.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks a lot. So 5 years automatically qualifies you for tessera, even though you don't aquire citizenship?
Exactly

I like to be very well informed before I decide to emigrating to Italy or not.
Very wise - but still be prepared for lots of surprises!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Labus just been going through the laws regarding eu citizens which Serrano posted on this forum and you don't seem to fit in anywhere. If Serrano thinks you not entitled , you're probally not. He isn't just a man (I'm assuming he's a man) who THINKS he knows it all he actually DOES know it all
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Citizenship is a big and very complicated thing in Italy. It is not like British or other people going to live in USA, Canada or Australia...... even though I know it can be complicated there too.

In Italy you begin as a resident. Some residents need a permesso di soggiorno (a permit to stay). Residents have to prove how they can live here.

After 5 years (for EU) you can ask for permanent residency. This does not in anyway guarantee you for citizenship. Getting citizenship is an entirely separate process and can take years.
Lorna, I'm not necessarily interested in the citizenship, I already have two. I only need the tessera. If I can get it in 5 years, it's OK, but I need to be sure that it is stipulated in the law.
We have enough to support ourselves but not for ever on private insurance.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serrano
Exactly

Very wise - but still be prepared for lots of surprises!
Oh, I don't expect everything to go smoothly. I don't forget Italians resemble Romanians as far as burocracy is concern. Roman empire left lots of good and bad habits while on Romanian territory about 2000 years ago.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Labus just been going through the laws regarding eu citizens which Serrano posted on this forum and you don't seem to fit in anywhere. If Serrano thinks you not entitled , you're probally not. He isn't just a man (I'm assuming he's a man) who THINKS he knows it all he actually DOES know it all
I don't fit for citizenship, tessera or both?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:03 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna, I'm not necessarily interested in the citizenship, I already have two. I only need the tessera. If I can get it in 5 years, it's OK, but I need to be sure that it is stipulated in the law.
We have enough to support ourselves but not for ever on private insurance.
No one can guarantee that the law won't change though!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100
No one can guarantee that the law won't change though!
I know that laws change, but I also hope that they will not change the rules in the middle of the game. I understand if they say from this day on all the newcomers will be whipped and sent to galere.
I would know what to expect beforehand.

Last edited by labus; Sep 30th 2010 at 1:17 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't fit for citizenship, tessera or both?
You can come here and get residency - no tessera with that.

After 4 years you can apply for citizenship. Citizenship includes a tessera.

After 5 years you can ask for permanent residency. You can get a tessera with that.

So to answer your question .......... no tessera when you move to Italy unless you get a job and pay the taxes and the system.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
You can come here and get residency - no tessera with that.

After 4 years you can apply for citizenship. Citizenship includes a tessera.

After 5 years you can ask for permanent residency. You can get a tessera with that.

So to answer your question .......... no tessera when you move to Italy unless you get a job and pay the taxes and the system.
Thanks for the reply Lorna.
I could apply for both, citizenship and permanent rezidency, and see which one gets me the tessera first.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:26 pm

It is very unlikely that you will get citizenship in just one year so I would say that permanent residency would be quicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.