Pen Knives

Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Question Pen Knives

My daughter - aged nearly 7 - has asked for a pen knife for Christmas (she has been reading Enid Blyton). Aside from the safety issues and whether this is an appropriate thing for her to have. Does anyone know what the law in Italy is regarding knives? And she wont be carrying around unsupervised.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:15 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pen Knives

In what respect do you mean laws? They are everywhere so I'm guessing you mean would you be breaking the law to buy her one? Who would know if she's not going to be carrying it? My son - 14 - has bought them off stalls here without having to have my consent. In the UK I do remember they check with you don't they if a child wants to buy something sharp?? And all the razor blades are only to over 18's, so I see where you are coming from! Get her a swiss army knife or a toolmaster and then get a special box to put it in - tell her it has to go in there every time she finishes with it - my son lost his, typical! I think you can get pink ones now too!! Btw - they are so useful for camping if you go! I don't know what we would have done without Alex's!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Even thinking about letting a 7 year old have a pen knife
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:39 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
My daughter - aged nearly 7 - has asked for a pen knife for Christmas (she has been reading Enid Blyton). Aside from the safety issues and whether this is an appropriate thing for her to have. Does anyone know what the law in Italy is regarding knives? And she wont be carrying around unsupervised.
What has she been reading? Secret Seven and The Famous Five ?

You should have given her The Faraway Tree and The Magic Wishing Chair and then she might have asked for a treehouse and a slippery slide for Christmas.

Anyway - from what I can gather (found no age references) a Swiss Army type knife is not normally considered to be a weapon and can be carried about for "justifiable reasons" ie, a camping trip, fishing etc.
If somebody starts waving one around in the streets, clubs, schools etc then it is considered to be a weapon and you'll get done for it.

A walking stick is harmless when used properly, use it to beat somebody up and you'll get done for using it as a weapon.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies. I also looked in the jacko-o catalogue (german, delivers here) and they are an acceptable childhood thing in Germany. Along with a welding set I seem to recall.

Her alternative choice is a DS and I personally prefer the pen knife idea.

She has also been reading Jacqueline Wilson books. When I asked her why she likes them she said "because they are brilliant"

"Aren't they a bit sad, the children in those books don't have proper families" I said

"They are brilliant. What's divorce mummy?"

Difficult to explain when you aren't married
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:42 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

I read Enid Blyton as a kid and was given Swallows & Amazons. I also asked for a penknife & managed to get one. I loved going out and playing with it...i.e trying to whittle & unfortunately playing stretch. But.....it led me to have a healthy respect for knives, and the outside world & I love roughing it fly camping on the mountains...where, I use my trusty Swiss Army knife
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:10 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ernesto
I read Enid Blyton as a kid and was given Swallows & Amazons. I also asked for a penknife & managed to get one. I loved going out and playing with it...i.e trying to whittle & unfortunately playing stretch. But.....it led me to have a healthy respect for knives, and the outside world & I love roughing it fly camping on the mountains...where, I use my trusty Swiss Army knife
I wanted to go to boarding school after reading Malory Towers and St Clare's.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I wanted to go to boarding school after reading Malory Towers and St Clare's.
Ahh me too, especially seeing as my nan worked as a cleaner in the sixth form house at Roedean, I just naturally assumed i would go there.... My son loves the Enid Blyton books although I feel a bit silly now reading out names like 'Chinky' and 'Fatty' but I suppose old Enid didn't live in the PC world in which we all now live. Me and the kids brought dh a swiss army knife a few years ago and had it engraved as from the kids which he loved.... not as much as he liked the firelighting steel the xmas after though, he set light to my nan's garden on xmas day trying it out!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:06 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
Even thinking about letting a 7 year old have a pen knife
I don't see why not with a swiss army knife. The knives are so stiff they have to ask you at that age to open them anyway, plus I'm going to assume Livinghere is responsible and the either she or her OH will supervise it's use. One of the reasons I suggested a special box which it is put in, in a special cupboard - treat it like you would any dangerous implement and it gets respected as one. In a country where hunting and fishing etc. is popular why not start now? Btw, did you know the age for a shotgun licence in the UK is 6 years??
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

When i was in the boy scouts (many years ago) i was typically carrying enough weaponry to start a small war. I had a double sheath knife on the RHS of my belt (small knife on the outside of a normal size one) a stiletto knife right around the back and a swiss army penknife dangling from a clip on the LHS. When camping i also carried a hand axe clipped to the belt, plus a 6 foot long staff. I remember all anyone wanted to do was to be able to throw a knife into a tree at any distance (not as easy as Hollywood makes out). Having mastered this i was also working on throwing the hand axe into trees. Oh yes, almost forgot, we were also issued with felling axes, one per patrol, for cutting down firewood. As far as i recall no one was every really injured (well they were in the chalk rugby, weak horse and night wide games - but thats another story)
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:19 am
The Original Red Head!

Did you know British bulldog has been banned in UK schools?!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Bunch of woosies, no wonder the b&$@dy place is going down the tubes, the things i learned in the boy scouts serve me to this day to solve problems, both in every day life and business.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris120
Bunch of woosies, no wonder the b&$@dy place is going down the tubes, the things i learned in the boy scouts serve me to this day to solve problems, both in every day life and business.
Was the same with us in the Brownies.... I got my cooking badge for peeling a couple of carrots and a potato! I have seen scouts here too.... I tried to convince ds that he would like to join but he wasn't interested
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have just picked up the latest Esselunga catalogue and there is Swiss Army Knife in there. Maybe that the decision is now made.

Ds would be completely supervised and I guess that I will be breaking a lot of finger nails - I had forgotten how difficult they are to open.

Anyway I still have two birthdays to get through (three if you count mine) before Christmas.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Did you know British bulldog has been banned in UK schools?!!
It was only a chase /tag game wasn't it ? or am I remembering something different.

I heard that conkers have been banned in lots of schools too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.