Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Passports for kids - new rules

Passports for kids - new rules

Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passports for kids - new rules

I know this topic has come up quite a few times but I saw on the news that there are now new rules and each child has to have their own passport (in line with EU regulations), I'm assuming that a "lasciapassare" document will still be valid for travel in the EU, or does my son now have to have a passport? Does anyone have any extra info on this? Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:08 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports for kids - new rules

As I understood it you're right. In line with eu regulations kids need their own passport now. They cannot be included in a parent's. The lasciapassare is still valid. They are working towards introducing an adult ID card from the age of 10 (instead of 15) in the not too distant future.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Iìm going to have to check this out as I was going to get my daughter a British pasport this Christmas. There is isn't much point if I'll have to get her another one in two years when she is 12. This is what I have read so far.

New security rules come into effect on Jun 29 that require all 27 European Union countries -- plus non-EU members Norway, Iceland and Switzerland -- to begin issuing biometric passports. They will contain a chip carrying the passport-holder's fingerprints. The feature is meant to prevent identity fraud. The new rules also introduces a one-person, one passport requirement. As it stands, children are often included on their parents' passports. The countries have until 2012 to complete the changeover.

The individual passport for children change is aimed at combating the trafficking of children.

Current passports will remain valid for travelling for most countries until 2012.

Children under 12 will be exempted.

Another thing I don't understand is this ...........

where are we supposed to get our biometric passports with fingerprints now that the embassy in Rome has passed them all onto Paris ????

http://www.newsahead.com/preview/200...orts/index.php
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:37 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

just read that it's facial biometric and not fingerprints.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:24 am

Wow - I have very quickly and sucessfully got through to a nice man at the home office passport services.

I clearly asked .........

"if I get my 9 year old daughter her very first British passport within the next few months - will she need a brand new biometric passport for 2012 ?

- no

"will it be valid for the full five years ?"

- yes.

"If I don't get her a British passport can she still travel on her Italian identity card type document with photo ?"

- yes she can.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this Lorna, was dreading another long wait at the questura again
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stellina
Thanks for this Lorna, was dreading another long wait at the questura again
Just to double check the police state website says :

Restano valide invece tutte le disposizioni - già esistenti - relative al passaporto collettivo e al lasciapassare per i minori.

http://poliziadistato.it/articolo/17...iano_le_regole

How come you were in the questura anyway ?

The comune did my kids' cards - well not personally they didn't but they took them to the comune and brought them back again.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

When I got my youngest his passport, photo done when he was a couple of weeks old, he was issued a biometric passport.

I read that there are certain ratios that don't change (where the ears are in relation to the eyes etc).

Its a good job my younger daughter doesn't have this as we stretched her photo to get the right dimensions.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LivingHere
When I got my youngest his passport, photo done when he was a couple of weeks old, he was issued a biometric passport.

I read that there are certain ratios that don't change (where the ears are in relation to the eyes etc).

Its a good job my younger daughter doesn't have this as we stretched her photo to get the right dimensions.
Am I right then in presuming that if I get Chloe a British passport this Christmas - it will already be of the new biometric type ?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I think so. I renewed a couple over the summer for my other children and they are biometric. If you do them in the UK they will add up to ten months on that is unexpired on the one you are renewing. I find it funny that the children have biometric passports and I don't
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna - I got my youngest (11) a new passport while we were in Guernsey this summer and it was the new biometric type. The first set of photos was unacceptable and so we went back to the pharmacy that had taken them and they took another set free of charge. The passport only took a couple of days to come through and its valid for 5 yrs I think.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Patty
Lorna - I got my youngest (11) a new passport while we were in Guernsey this summer and it was the new biometric type. The first set of photos was unacceptable and so we went back to the pharmacy that had taken them and they took another set free of charge. The passport only took a couple of days to come through and its valid for 5 yrs I think.
Thanks.
I know I have to be careful about the photos. There's a whole load of blurb and instructions on the relevant websites. There is even a print out bit of instructions that you can give to the photographer.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Thanks.
I know I have to be careful about the photos. There's a whole load of blurb and instructions on the relevant websites. There is even a print out bit of instructions that you can give to the photographer.
On the Italian Embassy website there is a translation of this for when the photographer thinks that the mother's white coat is an acceptable background
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest they had a special little hand held machine and it tells the person taking the photo when its wrong (it puts little crosses on the bits that aren't acceptable to the passport office) The only reason mine were wrong was because the girl who took the 1st set was young and new to the job and she just didnt realise.

ps: and they only cost me £6

Last edited by Patty; Nov 26th 2009 at 7:25 pm. Reason: forgot bit
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lorna, we went to the questura in Florence because it was August and we were in a hurry to get the lasciapassare and take our son back to the UK to meet his grandparents They told us it would be quicker than going to the anagrafe who would then send everything on to the questura